Hacking Homebrew 3DS System Transfer Questions

S-Mania

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi everyone. I'm looking to do a system transfer from an Old 3DS XL to an N3DSXL. No illegitimate games on the Old 3DS, just some eshop demos and the homebrew apps when you mod it. N3DS was wiped and just recently modded. I want to still use my old 3DS as a 2nd one, mods intact. N3DS will be my new main one with all my old 3DS' data, as it's presumably faster. Both are using micro SD cards btw.

Anyway, after I do a system transfer, do I just swap micro SD cards? Is it that easy, nothing's tied to the original system? Also they were modded on different firmwares (N3DS on 11.04.0-37E, Old on 11.17) using different methods and then updated. Does that matter? Will the files be the same regardless?

Also do I have to worry about nand before/after transfer or will it be fine? I'm quite new to doing that, so hope not haha 😅

Thanks, I don't want to mess anything up. If anyone has done this (a system transfer and kept using the old system) before, please let me know. I'm not cloning it btw, just transferring all my data from old to new.

ack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it would be easier to make a NAND backup on the old one and restoring it on the new one. After that put the sdcard of the old console in the new one
no lmao, just do a normal system transfer.

Some people advise that you should just install all the apps on your source system on the destination system and then use checkpoint to get all the saves off and restore them on the destination system, but I don't like that solution.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think it would be easier to make a NAND backup on the old one and restoring it on the new one. After that put the sdcard of the old console in the new one
Is this supposed to be funny in conjunction to your custom title?
Screenshot_20240503-191546_Mull.png

That is exactly what is going to happen if you restore a NAND image from a different device. GodMode9 will refuse to do this with standard restore function. With a forced restore this will end in 8046 BOOTROM ERROR.

Reactions: nWo

S-Mania

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
According to @PrincessLillie who has apparently done it before and made a guide on it (though not including info on swapping the cards, which is why I asked directly (and made this thread for assurance)), it will probably brick the system. Is that correct? Have you done it before? I'm new to CFW and system transfers as a whole, so I'm just a noob going off someone who is familiar with it haha 😅

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
it will probably brick the system. Is that correct?
That isn't even a question. Different console, different OTP → Using the image of a different console is flashing random garbage data.

Anyway, after I do a system transfer, do I just swap micro SD cards? Is it that easy, nothing's tied to the original system?
What exactly is the problem. Everything from the source (old) system is moved to the target (new) system and the source system factory resets at the end changing SD encryption key. Illegitimate content won't work on the target until you use Faketik. You did mention the person who made an excellent tutorial on this.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi everyone. I'm looking to do a system transfer from an Old 3DS XL to an N3DSXL. No illegitimate games on the Old 3DS, just some eshop demos and the homebrew apps when you mod it. N3DS was wiped and just recently modded. I want to still use my old 3DS as a 2nd one, mods intact. N3DS will be my new main one with all my old 3DS' data, as it's presumably faster. Both are using micro SD cards btw.

Anyway, after I do a system transfer, do I just swap micro SD cards? Is it that easy, nothing's tied to the original system? Also they were modded on different firmwares (N3DS on 11.04.0-37E, Old on 11.17) using different methods and then updated. Does that matter? Will the files be the same regardless?

Also do I have to worry about nand before/after transfer or will it be fine? I'm quite new to doing that, so hope not haha 😅

Thanks, I don't want to mess anything up. If anyone has done this (a system transfer and kept using the old system) before, please let me know. I'm not cloning it btw, just transferring all my data from old to new.
Swap MicroSD cards, and run faketik to install the tickets for installed CIAs since those aren't transferred over in the system transfer.

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
oopsie... sorry
Is this supposed to be funny in conjunction to your custom title?
View attachment 435180

That is exactly what is going to happen if you restore a NAND image from a different device. GodMode9 will refuse to do this with standard restore function. With a forced restore this will end in 8046 BOOTROM ERROR.

S-Mania

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
That isn't even a question. Different console, different OTP → Using the image of a different console is flashing random garbage data.

What exactly is the problem. Everything from the source (old) system is moved to the target (new) system and the source system factory resets at the end changing SD encryption key. Illegitimate content won't work on the target until you use Faketik. You did mention the person who made an excellent tutorial on this.
Thanks for your answer, I only asked as I'm completely new to 3DS system transfers (modding or otherwise) and 3DS modding overall. So I wanted to be sure so I don't mess it up or brick my system. I only heard about PrincessLillie's tutorial a little bit after making this post and even then I
kept this post up since I wanted to be 100% sure. But it sounds like by the comments, many people agree with that method which is comforting.

Have you done the tutorial and swapped SD cards yourself? Just making sure, as many people from 3DS modding Facebook Groups and some 3DS repair shops have been saying the 3DS data is tied to the original 3DS and won't work on other 3DS'. So I'm simply unsure who to follow.

Sorry if it wasn't clear in my post that I was new to all this and thanks for the information 🙂
Post automatically merged:

no lmao, just do a normal system transfer.

Some people advise that you should just install all the apps on your source system on the destination system and then use checkpoint to get all the saves off and restore them on the destination system, but I don't like that solution.
It's good I already have all the same CFW apps installed on both devices, only the ones installed in the modding process and hShop.

I'm curious, do I need to remove the 3DS themes I downloaded from hShop on my N3DSXL or will they be removed when I system transfer everything from my old 3DS? I'd like to be sure, don't know what exactly happens 🙂 It's no problem at all, I can redownload them again later easily and they aren't important in the slightest.
Post automatically merged:

Swap MicroSD cards, and run faketik to install the tickets for installed CIAs since those aren't transferred over in the system transfer.
As I said in my post, I don't have any illegitimate games on it, CIA or otherwise. Would I need to use faketik for the CFW programs (the one's installed during the modding process and hShop? Should I worry about anything being tied to the original system, like data or encryption keys? And what about both consoles being modded using different methods and on different firmware (before updating)? Can I still swap SD cards and they'll work like normal?

Sorry for all my questions, I'm new to it all haha 😅🤐

Last edited by S-Mania,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Also this song https://youtu.be/27RWx9Q6LcQ?si=c7C8YuRoIPHadiQ0