Hardware Imagining possible Switch Controllers/Attachments

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like I may not be far off with the VR idea, this patent was uncovered today:

15178984-60flo3a.png

According to IGN: "appears to work similarly to Google and Samsung's smartphone VR solutions - the core Switch tablet is placed into a headset, which features lenses to create the 3D effect.

The patent also describes being able to use the detachable Joycon controllers while using the headset, although does not say whether they would utilise motion controls while doing so.

The patent description notes that in the "present embodiment" of the Switch, it will use acceleration and angular velocity sensors to perform head tracking. However, the patent also indicates that the Switch console may not contain those sensors, meaning the headset itself will perform the tracking. The patents were published today, December 15, but were filed on June 10, meaning the choice will almost certainly have been finialised in the interim."

Reactions: Deboog

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Interesting. It would perhaps be the first real poor man VR console accessory, and backed up by the only company I believe can make interesting games out of gimmicks.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not saying it will happen, but I find it funny how sure some people were about it not happening. If it does happen, probably be more for indie and mobile games than big titles tho.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. It would perhaps be the first real poor man VR console accessory, and backed up by the only company I believe can make interesting games out of gimmicks.

Right? If Nintendo goes into VR, they're going to approach it with a casual mindset, and I think thats absolutely the way to approach VR right now. I've used a fair amount of VR and the more intensive games do get you feeling sick even if you're not prone to motion sickness. And regardless of how intense the game is, after 30 minutes or so you inevitably feel the need to remove the VR device. As cool as the idea is on paper, a game like GTA 5 in VR just isn't ideal. Conversely, something less intense and more casual like Minecraft actually works brilliantly in VR.

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well we now know that the Switch features:
NFC
Acceleration Sensor
Vibrators
(most likely) VR
Lock-in Controllers
(most likely) 3rd party controller support

And also for anyone looking at the patent, Terminal = Joycon

EDIT: Apparently, people are finding Touch Panel on it, so look out for a touchscreen too

Last edited by YugamiSekai,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6igvB1yR04A