Wii U HDMI Problem

paprika89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, thank you for taking the time to review my post. I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what to do because my Wii U is failing to output in HDMI. One day in the middle of nowhere while playing New Super Mario. Bros Wii in vWii, the TV screen just cut to black and only appeared on the gamepad. I tried restarting the console, and nothing. So, I thought to just switch to AV, and back to HDMI in System Settings. Now, it simply refuses to go back to HDMi while giving a generic error message to check if the TV is on, and yadda yadda, which it is. I've tried various HDMI cables, TVs, and ports. Even trying to shift around the cable, thinking it was like when a phone decides to only charge at an angle.

To resolve the situation for a while, I decided to use an AV cable, but now I want to fix the problem. I want to know if there is a good path I could take to repair it. I saw a video on the internet with someone with a similar problem, and they switched the decoder chip, but I'm not positive it could be that, although it would make sense. I tried out a repair store called UBreakIFix, but they took a jarringly long time to only accomplish nothing. Eventually, they offered that it might need a motherboard replacement at around $150, which sounds ridiculous considering a console alone on eBay costs around $50. This leads me to also wonder whether or not I should just buy another console on eBay because they're so cheap, but because my console is home-brewed, I imagine it will be a pain in the ass to transfer everything. This leads me back to my original thought of whether or not I should simply find somewhere to repair the console itself, but I wouldn't like to go to uBreakIFix again, so they could overcharge me. If anyone knows of repair stores that do Wii U repairs it would be helpful, or if anyone else has any thoughts or tips for me, I would appreciate it. Thank you for your time. Have a good rest of your day, or night.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, thank you for taking the time to review my post. I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what to do because my Wii U is failing to output in HDMI. One day in the middle of nowhere while playing New Super Mario. Bros Wii in vWii, the TV screen just cut to black and only appeared on the gamepad. I tried restarting the console, and nothing. So, I thought to just switch to AV, and back to HDMI in System Settings. Now, it simply refuses to go back to HDMi while giving a generic error message to check if the TV is on, and yadda yadda, which it is. I've tried various HDMI cables, TVs, and ports. Even trying to shift around the cable, thinking it was like when a phone decides to only charge at an angle.

To resolve the situation for a while, I decided to use an AV cable, but now I want to fix the problem. I want to know if there is a good path I could take to repair it. I saw a video on the internet with someone with a similar problem, and they switched the decoder chip, but I'm not positive it could be that, although it would make sense. I tried out a repair store called UBreakIFix, but they took a jarringly long time to only accomplish nothing. Eventually, they offered that it might need a motherboard replacement at around $150, which sounds ridiculous considering a console alone on eBay costs around $50. This leads me to also wonder whether or not I should just buy another console on eBay because they're so cheap, but because my console is home-brewed, I imagine it will be a pain in the ass to transfer everything. This leads me back to my original thought of whether or not I should simply find somewhere to repair the console itself, but I wouldn't like to go to uBreakIFix again, so they could overcharge me. If anyone knows of repair stores that do Wii U repairs it would be helpful, or if anyone else has any thoughts or tips for me, I would appreciate it. Thank you for your time. Have a good rest of your day, or night.
Ubreakfix is a terribad repair chain I tried to use them a few times as well and they almost always quote at least double then a local shop would charge because they only use “offiical parts” and will refuse service (and still happily charge you) if they cant find an official part from their warehouse.

That being said, I recently went through this same exact issue and unfortunately all the best solutions where to just outright replace the console as repair quotes where almost always more then the cost of a standalone console (we have the gamepads already so why buy that again)

I was able to find console only deals on mecari For about $60ish for 32gb consoles. If you can find them without cables you can likely even get it for a bit less as well. From my understanding this is a super common problem on Wii Us I hope someone develops a DIY solution like the community did for the failing eMMCs someday so that we can save even more wii u systems from the landfill

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/pGLwR2Rz39c?si=yuslB1eXrvGuq8s2