ROM Hack ANOTHER DragonBall Kai Ultimate Butouden Translation

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm working on it, but I'm waiting till I completely finish the options menu to upload a ROM. Regarding that, is there a dedicated place on here to upload the ROMs? Or do I just link it with my latest comment?

Anyways, here are a couple of pics just to show you the progress or now. Just to note, if you find that some of the order I translated things is weird, this is because I am translating things according to how they are put in the file, rather to the way they are used in the options menu. Thank you for your support! Enjoy the screenshots!

View attachment 437121View attachment 437120View attachment 437119View attachment 437116View attachment 437110View attachment 437109View attachment 437108View attachment 437107View attachment 437106View attachment 437105View attachment 437104View attachment 437103View attachment 437102
Omg I'm a huge fan of Dragon Ball and I'm still annoyed Bandai never released this in the West, so I'm 100% looking forward for your English patch.

Bandai could have titled it "Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Butoden" if they wanted considering they removed Kai from the amazing AotS game (man, that game is a masterpiece!).

Anyway, thank you again and I'll be waiting patiently. I've already been waiting for years. 😅

Oh, and there is a website called 💿 Romance that uploads patched roms, or romhacking.net for the patch itself.

Reactions: deathkill781

deathkill781

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lebanon
DUDE YOU ARE A HERO! If you need any help creating graphics I am a graphic designer and I am more than willing to help!
I've been waiting for a translation of this gem ever since it was released, you have no ideia what that means to me!
Yoo. It would be great. However, the problem is more so that I can't exactly find where the graphics are, and the ones that I have found, I don't really know how to reliably extract them in their original form or how to put them in. I was kind of waiting for someone's input on the matter, maybe they would've been able to help, but no one has yet offered. I was able to find some stuff, but not all of it. For example, I found the customize and the vs cpu menu button graphics, but I wasn't able to find any else, even though a lot of it is already translated. So yeah. If I ever was able to find anything, your help would definitely be appreciated. Thanks! Also, really happy that you're excited for this!

verypedro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yoo. It would be great. However, the problem is more so that I can't exactly find where the graphics are, and the ones that I have found, I don't really know how to reliably extract them in their original form or how to put them in. I was kind of waiting for someone's input on the matter, maybe they would've been able to help, but no one has yet offered. I was able to find some stuff, but not all of it. For example, I found the customize and the vs cpu menu button graphics, but I wasn't able to find any else, even though a lot of it is already translated. So yeah. If I ever was able to find anything, your help would definitely be appreciated. Thanks! Also, really happy that you're excited for this!
I understand the issue. I'm sorry I can't help more since I'm pretty much useless when it comes to code. But if you manage to find it, I know my way around pixel art and color palettes pretty well if needed, just let me know!

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had an idea not sure if you can do it:

Replace the game's BGM with the series score, but "DS-fied" just how the opening sounds. That would be so cool and it'd make the game even better. 🤩

Damn, that song "slaps" like the cool kids say these days. 😆

Angelus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The link was broken

Edit: It wasn't broken, it was just me that I couldn't help but be stupid and let it finish loading

Last edited by Angelus,

verypedro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
YO! I'M BACK BABY! With my finals finally over, I was finally able to get to finishing up the Options menu, and now, I have completely translated everything in it. God only knows who wrote the tutorials in the options file, but if I find him, I will personally kill him. The organization is pure garbage. It's all over the place. That is literally the only reason it took me so long. Also, without a way to view everything in its place live, formatting the text was really tedious. However, I persevered, and finished. I'll attach the link for whoever wants to try it out, and here are some screenshots (this is only of the tutorials yes, but that is because I've already showed everything before that). Anyways, till next time!

EDIT: I have no idea why the link turned out like this, but as long as it works I guess.

-snip-
View attachment 438274View attachment 438275View attachment 438276View attachment 438277View attachment 438278View attachment 438279View attachment 438280
That's incredible!
Seeing all this progress got me really excited and I ended up throwing together this localized logo for funsies.
I did notice that in the title screen itself the "Dragon Ball Kai", "Ultimate Butoden" and even the lightning VFX are separated assets. If you ever find out how to change the logo (or if you even want to), just let me know!

DBKai Ultimate Butoden.png

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much!!

There are still some things left in Japanese, like the customization items, attacks, and text bubbles on the bottom right, but overall it's great most is in English now.

This is honestly one of the few games that actually makes great use of both screens and playing it on a DSi XL is just fantastic.

deathkill781

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lebanon
That's incredible!
Seeing all this progress got me really excited and I ended up throwing together this localized logo for funsies.
I did notice that in the title screen itself the "Dragon Ball Kai", "Ultimate Butoden" and even the lightning VFX are separated assets. If you ever find out how to change the logo (or if you even want to), just let me know!

View attachment 438312
YOO! That is absolutely epic! Great work bro. I think I was able to find the lightning effects once, but I don't know about the logo itself. I'll do some digging and see what I can find. If I do find it, I'll definitely contact you for the logo, it's really good!
Post automatically merged:

Thank you so much!!

There are still some things left in Japanese, like the customization items, attacks, and text bubbles on the bottom right, but overall it's great most is in English now.

This is honestly one of the few games that actually makes great use of both screens and playing it on a DSi XL is just fantastic.
The only new thing I translated was the options menu, as I said in the post. More to come of course. I'm thinking of finishing the menus completely before moving to the in game cutscenes, even though they are a lot easier to do than the menus. But, as all people know, it's better to get the hard stuff out of the way first. So that's the plan. I'll see what's up next and update y'all when I get to it.

verypedro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
YOO! That is absolutely epic! Great work bro. I think I was able to find the lightning effects once, but I don't know about the logo itself. I'll do some digging and see what I can find. If I do find it, I'll definitely contact you for the logo, it's really good!
Post automatically merged:

The only new thing I translated was the options menu, as I said in the post. More to come of course. I'm thinking of finishing the menus completely before moving to the in game cutscenes, even though they are a lot easier to do than the menus. But, as all people know, it's better to get the hard stuff out of the way first. So that's the plan. I'll see what's up next and update y'all when I get to it.
Our posts got deleted but that's fine, you saw the logo! If you ever find it, let me know so I can properly format it for the DS!

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Our posts got deleted but that's fine, you saw the logo! If you ever find it, let me know so I can properly format it for the DS!
The original blue Kai logo looks nicer without Z butting in.

AotS was also a Kai game, and Bandai could have rebranded as DBZK, but they simply didn't.

ekUsOE82DpWspI9XLu8H2jt01BZXh3EPgx5FYqjU.jpg

It's a disgrace it never got a sequel. :(

Attack of Freeza
Attack of the Androids
Attack of Majin Boo

Reactions: verypedro

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry we had to delete the file earlier, but we don't allow hosting roms

I went to the trouble of making a .ups patch for y'all

you can apply this patch to the file named "Dragon Ball Kai Ultimate Butouden (English Patched).nds" that you can find floating around the web with either your favorite UPS patcher or this website

https://www.marcrobledo.com/RomPatcher.js/

ORGINAL POST by

deathkill781

YO! I'M BACK BABY! With my finals finally over, I was finally able to get to finishing up the Options menu, and now, I have completely translated everything in it. God only knows who wrote the tutorials in the options file, but if I find him, I will personally kill him. The organization is pure garbage. It's all over the place. That is literally the only reason it took me so long. Also, without a way to view everything in its place live, formatting the text was really tedious. However, I persevered, and finished. I'll attach the link for whoever wants to try it out, and here are some screenshots (this is only of the tutorials yes, but that is because I've already showed everything before that). Anyways, till next time!

EDIT: I have no idea why the link turned out like this, but as long as it works I guess.

1716226263896.png1716226278494.png1716226287022.png1716226294831.png1716226305694.png1716226321283.png1716226340903.png

Attachments

• Dragon Ball Kai Ultimate Butouden (English Patch){Fixed} (SNASH).zip
    76.3 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Marc_LFD

deathkill781

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lebanon
Sorry we had to delete the file earlier, but we don't allow hosting roms

I went to the trouble of making a .ups patch for y'all

you can apply this patch to the file named "Dragon Ball Kai Ultimate Butouden (English Patched).nds" that you can find floating around the web with either your favorite UPS patcher or this website

https://www.marcrobledo.com/RomPatcher.js/

ORGINAL POST by

deathkill781

1716226263896.png1716226278494.png1716226287022.png1716226294831.png1716226305694.png1716226321283.png1716226340903.png
Hey. I genuinely and truly apologize. That is a complete mistake on my front, but I truly didn't know how else to give it to people, and I truly appreciate that you went through the trouble of making a patch of it. If you probably have noticed, I'm very new to the scene, so please excuse such mistakes. If you are able to tell me how to create a patch, or maybe just give a youtube tutorial or something, that would be highly appreciated. And again, I truly am sorry for the mistake and misunderstanding. Thank you.

Reactions: Marc_LFD and x65943

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey. I genuinely and truly apologize. That is a complete mistake on my front, but I truly didn't know how else to give it to people, and I truly appreciate that you went through the trouble of making a patch of it. If you probably have noticed, I'm very new to the scene, so please excuse such mistakes. If you are able to tell me how to create a patch, or maybe just give a youtube tutorial or something, that would be highly appreciated. And again, I truly am sorry for the mistake and misunderstanding. Thank you.
Using the site I linked, click creator mode

Then provide the unmodified rom and the modified ROM and create a ups patch

Share the patch and voila

verypedro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The original blue Kai logo looks nicer without Z butting in.

AotS was also a Kai game, and Bandai could have rebranded as DBZK, but they simply didn't.

ekUsOE82DpWspI9XLu8H2jt01BZXh3EPgx5FYqjU.jpg

It's a disgrace it never got a sequel. :(

Attack of Freeza
Attack of the Androids
Attack of Majin Boo
Yeah I agree! I'm not a fan of the Z slapped on the logo and theoretically deathkill781 would only need to change the subtitle graphic and keep the DBKai logo intact since they are all separate assets

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: But let's see what GabeN decides though