PS5 interchangeable ram moduls from EDM-010 to EDM-020?

stetofix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi,

does someone tried to swap RAM modules from different manufactures (Samsung <> Micron)?
I have two defect PS5 (EDM-010 and EDM-020).
I suspect the ram at the EDM-020 to be faulty. Now I want to replace the ram modules and I'm wondering if I can use the ram ics from the other faulty EDM-010.

IMG_6132.JPG
IMG_6130.JPG

Johnny_debt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard folks swap from micron to Samsung, the Samsung appear to have less failure. But the swaps were of all the chips, meaning all micron on board to all samsung or vice versa. So it's not clear whether one can mix up the chips on the same board.

Reactions: jkyoho

stetofix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If the ram is replaceable with the other brand, I would replace all eight modules. But I know from other pcbs there is a kind of jumper strukture to give the controller ic info about the soldered modules. But here I'm not sure if it is about the brand or just different timings. And as the struktur around the ram ics looks total different from EDM-010 and EDM-020 I'm not sure, where to look.
Maybe there is someone with a EDM-020 board with Micron ram ics. Or a EDM-010 with Samsung ram ics.

Johnny_debt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is the video swapping micron ram to SEC and board works without further BOM hack.

FYI , that's a ED-03x board

That guy is a genius, watched all his videos. What does "BOM hack" mean? I have a board that I will be attempting a ram swap.

stetofix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

This is the video swapping micron ram to SEC and board works without further BOM hack.

FYI , that's a ED-03x board

Now I saw the video the second time and pay attention to the brands of the ram ics, my question is answered. :)

FiXiNGA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can you tell me based on what measurements you decided to swap the RAM? I have a 2 Sec BLOD device here with every voltage is okay. On power up the GPU and RAM gets warm and then it shuts down.

Furthermore after that it will have a beep without light. After that again a beep with light, GPU and RAM after 1-2 sec off

stetofix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can you tell me based on what measurements you decided to swap the RAM? I have a 2 Sec BLOD device here with every voltage is okay. On power up the GPU and RAM gets warm and then it shuts down.

Furthermore after that it will have a beep without light. After that again a beep with light, GPU and RAM after 1-2 sec off

The ps5 in question has a long BLOD. Most voltages are ok. The only thing I could find is one voltage reading at one test point which is off (red marking) in comparation to other boards.
I assumed that it is related to the ram ics, but i I think it is not, because I couldn't find a matching pad under the ram ics (I checked this on a donor board without ram ics).

tp_apubuck_voltage_.png

FiXiNGA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi again. I now have a console where I have to swap all eight modules to Samsung. Sadly I have no suitable stencil here. Does anyone knows the spec, which bga and which spacing is needed for PS5?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87... +1