Hacking Homebrew Animal Crossing New Leaf (ACNL) help: data corrupt??

AndeRei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the most recent .sav file (attached to this post) from my unmodded o3DS XL from before my microSD card had succumbed to hardware failure about 6 years ago. Now that Pretendo has come into public beta, I decided to homebrew my o3DS XL in hopes that I could actually recover the save file and play it online (when they get around to building support for it).

If it helps at all:
  • I have not done a system format
  • I still have the original (though corrupt) microSD card
  • My copy of ACNL is the original digital release that has received the Welcome Amiibo update, and is not the re-released ACNL:WA game

Things I have tried:
  • Pasting a copy of the original 00000001.sav file back into the "title/00000000/00086300/data" folder and attempting to run the game
  • Doing the same thing, but using FBI to delete the secure value before running the game
  • Importing a copy the original 00000001.sav with Checkpoint and JKSM
  • Using ninfs with my moveable.sed and boot9.bin to decrypt a copy of the save and then retrying the above sequences
  • Download Save3DS, but the program doesn't even open on my computer
  • Run a copy of the original 00000001.sav through some converters online to turn them into .dat files (one specifically for Pokémon, one for VC games) to try opening it up through the online ACNL save editor which requires a garden.dat/garden_plus.dat
  • Trying the above steps on my homebrewed n2DS XL
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled the game through the 3DS's data manager
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled the game with its ticket through FBI
  • Attempted the prior sequences with and without the Welcome Amiibo update patch

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.. Even just knowing if I'm completely boned from experienced users would give me solace in knowing that there was never a chance to get it back in the first place. If it isn't possible to recover the whole save file, I hope it's at least possible to recover information like my Dream Address, villagers, and so on; that way I could at least use the aforementioned save editor to earnestly try to recreate my town.

Attachments

• 00000001.zip
    30.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by AndeRei,

AndeRei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on how much corrupted it is, but probably I can recover something.
Post automatically merged:

Quick question: your game version is 1.5 right? Because it's giving me a strange error...
It was the original ACNL game that updated to version 1.5, yeah, but I don't remember if the save error started before or after the update. Is it possible that the update itself may have corrupted the save?

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It was the original ACNL game that updated to version 1.5, yeah, but I don't remember if the save error started before or after the update. Is it possible that the update itself may have corrupted the save?
I dont think so
Post automatically merged:

Extremely stupid question: do you have any backups?

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey @AndeRei, long time no see.
I am really sorry... but I think your savefile is gone. I tried everything I could, but even confronting your savefile with my corrupted one it's just a bunch of garbage.
If you send me some screenshots I can do my best to recover what's left. I am really sorry :(

AndeRei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey @AndeRei, long time no see.
I am really sorry... but I think your savefile is gone. I tried everything I could, but even confronting your savefile with my corrupted one it's just a bunch of garbage.
If you send me some screenshots I can do my best to recover what's left. I am really sorry :(
I don't have any pictures of the map itself, but I pieced this together in the town editor from what little I can remember along with the few screenshots I have left. It's not 100% exact but this should be pretty close. I only had a screenshot of one villager's house and it's because they moved literally right in front of my own house.
1715499792913.png

After I had used Marc Robledo's ACNL Save Editor to make that rough map, I later went back to it while more carefully referencing my screenshots. Using that save editor along with the LeafEdit tool on 3DS and the VapeCord plugin you informed me about, I think I did a pretty okay job but I would definitely love some confirmation if possible!

I'm pretty confident that I was able to select the exact acres for the beaches, beach bay, town hall, train station, Re-Tail with pond, and town square. Unfortunately, I don't think I have any pictures that would help me recreate the path of the river, location of the lake, the presence of any other ponds, or even the location of two out of my three bridges (one is directly behind the lighthouse and is flanked by trees), but I do know for sure that my waterfall acre is in the correct location even if it's not the exact same shape. I don't remember much about the Welcome Amiibo update like where the campground entrance is, so I just placed it beside the town square which I'm happy with.

From the screenshots and what little I can remember, I was also able to perfectly recreate my town name, town tune, town flag, town grass type, island grass type, town hall color (green), train station color (blue), the exterior of my house (but no pictures of any rooms inside the house or the museum's second floor), my beach trees, and even my large rose garden! (I never knew that the grass, town hall, and train stations all came in different configurations like that, haha.) Using the acre configurations, I was able to properly place the town hall, Re-Tail, and the town tree (updated to be max size) in their cobblestone surroundings. Since the town hall could only be in one place within the acre, I was able to place the police station (classic) and café perfectly according to the screenshots. I was also able to move the dock to be where it should naturally occur with the beach acre. I don't remember where my original reset center was located, but I like it where I have it now (beside the police station).

At first, I tried to recreate the locations of my house and the villagers' houses, but then I decided that I didn't really care about that and placed them manually in a way I liked. In my screenshots, I believe there are Chow's and Poncho's houses next to my home and the café. You'll see that I laid some paths around my town to try and place villager homes and rocks in places that I wanted. Little did I know, villagers just built their houses on the paths anyway (until the Welcome Amiibo update changed that, evidently). There's only one or two rocks seen in the screenshots, but I'm okay with my new town's random rock locations since I know I can manually relocate them if I ever wanted to.

I don't know how to recreate the "current value progress" on the badges, but I was able to individually set them to bronze/silver/gold depending on what made sense for how I played my original game. It was also easy to unlock all the shops and emotions, as well as complete the museum and encyclopedia, all of which I know I had fully completed. I manually had to unlock all the hairstyles and colored contacts at Shampoodle, and I've unlocked 3 out of the 4 mannequins (just gotta keep buying from Labelle every day to get the last one). My QR code patterns were also with my screenshots, so I was able to import them to my game by scanning them and then using VapeCord to alter the data so that the new game thinks I made them instead of coming from someone else (my old game). I was able to unlock all the public works projects with the save editor, which was a tremendous help.

From the screenshots, I'm able to see 5 out of my 10 villagers: Chow, Poncho, Celia, Whitney, and Hippeaux. I would very much like to know who the remaining 5 villagers were, as well as my past villagers since I miss seeing them around the shopping area. Apple and Gayle were part of the new game's save file so I decided to keep them for now, and I was able to use amiibo spoofing to get Maddie, Mathilda, and Felyne just for the fun of it. Like with the badge "current value progress," I don't know if there's a way to get my friendship levels back to what they were without manually doing it. I don't remember the nicknames they made for me or the catchphrases I made for them, but I guess those can change over time which is fine. Since the games are all about the villagers moving in and out all the time, I feel like I could learn to be okay if none of the villager data can be restored.

Included in the .zip file are all the screenshots I was able to find, a sav.dat file from my original 3DS XL (the file Checkpoint gave me when I put the original .sav in the proper folder), and a backup of current/recreated save info (including the garden_plus.dat and other files Checkpoint gave me) from a few days ago. Just a head's up that 073013.jpg, which shows Rocket the gorilla villager, was taken in a friend's town and not my own town (I'm the one dressed as Link).

Thank you for helping me this long. If nothing can be restored, I'm happy to know that I at least have this recreation you helped me put together.

Attachments

• ACNL.7z
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
Last edited by AndeRei,
Reactions: LNLenost

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Y9WKPRUjNQ4?si=raUf8jEiET8rmH2P