Hacking I have gotten the R4 (SDHC) v1.21 worked on my original R4 !

aero125

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
I have gotten the R4 (SDHC) v1.21 worked on my original supposely obsoleted R4 !

The lastest update for R4(SDHC) was on 7 Aug 08.

The process similar to getting the YSmenu/TT worked on the R4.

First, rename the downloaded _DS_MENU.DAT (3695K) to _DS_MENU.NDS

Make the gui.bat, similar to the thread on converting the YSMenu, but replace the YSMenu file in the txt to _DS_MENU.NDS

r4crypt.exe the _DS_MENU.NDS to _DS_MENU.DAT

Put all the other files from v1.21 (except the original _DS_MENU.DAT) together with this new _DS_MENU.DAT in the root.

Tested with Hoshigami, Hulk (arm7 patched earlier for v1.18), Adv war dual ruin, Kungfu Panda, animal crossing, FF Tactics, FFIV ...... etc

It worked !

Edit --> Note :- Do not use or press "start" to return to the previous/main menu or you will get a message " This card is fake ! ". Instead, press the "A" button on the directory/folder to get back to the previous menu.

Edit --> Brightness control ok, LRXYAB reset within games ok, moonshl ok. Except using the "start" button in the directory menu to go back to the main menu.

Tested on both my old original R4, the first white casing version ( with spring loaded ) and the second black casing version (without spring loaded), both worked !

Edit ---> Hulk without arm7 patched still failed. I tried both v1.21, as well as v1.20 that supposely corrected the compatibility problem. Only Hulk failed.

shinset

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thank you for your post I realise how to get ND1 kernel to work on my M3simply with your post

how did you find out to rename _DS_MENU.DAT (3695K) to _DS_MENU.NDS ?

aero125

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
@ shinset, it is a trial and error.

I just know that the final file must be encrypted to the name _DS_MENU.DAT.

So I named the original v1.21 unusable _DS_MENU.DAT to **.NDS and encrypted it to a new usable _DS_MENU.DAT.

You may want to try naming it to a different file extension and it may still work ....

Credit has to be given to Spec2K who posted the "Guide to Make YSMenu work on R4". I just somehow pick up the hint from his guide to test out the new R4 (SDHC) firmware.

@shadyboy, the new R4 (SDHC) v1.21 is a newer update dd 7 Aug 08, as compared to the original R4 v1.18 dd Apr 08, so all the newer games up to 7 Aug should be able to play.

As for whether v1.21 will enable my original R4 to tap the SDHC to use 8G ..., I'm not sure.

I only have 2G on hand. Someone may wish to test it to see if the old R4 can indeed now be SDHC enabled using the v1.21. The older hardware (electronic components, ICs )in the original R4 may not support SDHC.

Whatever, my R4 can now ride on the future updates from R4 (SDHC). No longer obsolete !

Edit : Brightness control ok, LRXYAB reset within games ok, moonshl ok. Except using the "start" button in the directory menu to go back to the main menu that gives a " This card is fake !!!" error.

Tested on both my old original R4, the first white casing version ( with spring loaded ) and the second black casing version (without spring loaded), both worked !

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, if it is confirmed to be able to have better compatibility than 1.18, I don't suppose anyone would mind making an zip file of everything needed, so we can just unzip to our micro SD and voila. I mean, this isn't a yasu firmware thing, so I suppose he wouldn't mind if that R4 SDHC firmware was bundled for download.

Or I could just do the timely process myself, which is quite bothersome as my slow lowly 4KB/s speed isn't something to boast about :/

Appreciate more input as to who else have tried this and whether or not there is better compatibility.

zardoz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Of course it works... apart from 5 bytes of code being changed and the strings in the file being changed, it's the same firmware. I have done a hex file compare between the R4 1.18 and this "new magical" R4SDHC 1.21, and it's so obvious it's a cosmetic change to the firmware and a mod to the card recognition stuff to make it look like the R4SDHC is somehow a new design.

I bet I could make the same changes to the vanilla R4 1.18 file and it would give the same results. In fact I think I will, just to test it. Apart from the cosmetic changes, here are the actual significant hex changes.

Location in hex R4 R4SDHC
0x0680 4f 40
0xb420 022023e0 00000000

Make of it what you will....

Z.

zardoz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What would be nice is if you produced a list pf programs that do work on 1.21 and don't on the "real" 1.18.
Then I could apply the 4 byte change at 0xb420 on the 1.18 and see if it works then. The byte at 0x0680 is the card type and makes no difference to the games working or not.

Z.

shinset

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
juste DL the kernel et patchs for M3Simply with langpatch

funny things its says THIS CARD IS FAKE !!!

pretty ironic isn't it ?

pilotwangs

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
skyman747 said:
I am downloading the R4SDHC firmware, and I will put it in a pre-made zip file, but I have to go to school. If someone hasn't posted when I come back, I will post it.

Looks like the R4 might not die yet.
Thanks skyman,I look forward to it.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You do know that the R4SDHC 1.21 update adds or fixes nothing right? The people behind the R4 clones basically make these fake updates to try to fool people into believing they have a newer and better firmware which seems to be working from what I'm reading in this topic. I did a byte to byte comparison of the original R4 firmware and these so called updates and they are piratically the same except for some cludgy hex editing to change the appearance and text a little.

USING THE R4SDHC FIRMWARE ON THE REAL R4 WON'T LET YOU USE SDHC CARDS. With that said, basically all these clones consist of is the original R4 loader with updated firmware to support SDHC cards, that is it. They simply use an edited version of the original R4 firmware, which means don't expect any real updates to the cards since the R4 is dead. The original R4 simply doesn't have the hardware to use SDHC cards, so no firmware release will be able to add the support in. In terms of what the R4 can do, its very limited to not having flash able hardware that can be updated to support new things.

If you own an R4 or one of its clones, including the R4SDHC, I really suggest you look into getting a new flashcard if you use it to play games. Its obsolete and from the looks of it, only has 90% compatibility with current games with more and more games coming out now working with it. If theres a shift in how games are made or more games being released using the new save type not supported by the R4, you're out of luck since the R4 is dead.

beve

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
i like you people that get a crowbar and bash the shit out of a kernel

thanks dude im trying it now

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
beve said:

Beve...you can run, but you can't hide!
I've got a great idea....you can add this to YOUR personally custom-made firmwares alternatives for the R4!
ohmy.gif

ENDscape

REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dark^'^Knight said:
beve said:

Beve...you can run, but you can't hide!
I've got a great idea....you can add this to YOUR personally custom-made firmwares alternatives for the R4!
ohmy.gif

LOL, this made me laugh.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Of curse it works, it's 1.18 hex edited for SDHC support and 1.21 text, nothing more. SDHC is all about hardware, then the driver is what we need, it won't let you use SDHC cards, it's like:

"You have PowerDVD, your PC has Intel Core 2 Extreme with 8GB RAM and 1TB space, you should be able to play a DVD, but you have only a CD-ROM, what can you do? You can't play any DVD at all"

pretty uch the analogy is like that

spoon_key

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get "this is fake" error so I gather i've got a fake R4? Its worked perfect since I got it though and FIFA 09 works on 1.18 so I'm happy.

Is there a way round this for fake cards or did I just do something wrong? My R4 box is not one of the fake ones and my card looks like the real R4 not the fake one?

Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs