Hacking Best R4 clone

ozzymud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, seeing as how the R4 looks pretty dead, there will prolly be a lot more people buying "fake", "clone", or whatever R4 cards.

Your BEST bet is to buy another card as support for these cards may or may not exist. Internally most are quite different to the original R4, but appear to use hacked/edited original R4 loaders. These "new" R4s are definately not clones, rip offs of the original yes. Most of the rumors about them bricking your DS are either about the 9/15 R4 firmware(vaporware) threat, or most likely the N5 and it's faulty SD reader shorting and blowing a fuse.

This is probably not the best choice in the world, but for those that dont see other cards as being the best bet, this thread might be of use. Don't expect them to play the newest games, work with over 4GB cards (rumors of some not even doing that). And only buy one if this is a hobby to you, and you know what you are buying.

If you own an N5 already, follow THIS LINK and fix it before putting the MicroSD into the cart too many times. (DO NOT buy this card if you dont wanna fix it 1st)

I purchased an R4-III from r4dusa.com
It was payed for with paypal and shipped fast. They are based in southern California and the support is good (I had also bought a "Fat Error" Acekard2 from them and dealing with "Anthony Peccon" has been ok so far)

I've had the R4-III for quite some time now, it's hardware is definately an "upgrade", it does support 4GB SDHC.
UPDATE: Just got an 8GB card in, filled it to 4GB, then copied some music then games to it, in moonshell the music i copied under the 4GB mark played... the few over the mark crashed moonshell. The Games3 folder(above 4GB mark) was unreadable. So while fully working with the 4GB MicroSDHC this card (III) DOES NOT SUPPORT OVER 4GB.

It appears to be updated often at http://www.r4dsl.net/index-en.asp with the last update being to v3.03 on 9/11/2008. It does everthing listed and has given my 3 year old no issues to date. I have had it in all 4 of our DSs at one time or another and none have came away bricked (used it to put FlashMe on all we own)

Anyone else have /this/ card and have anything to say good or bad about it?

Also, how about commenting on your R4 clone in this thread? (please no hearsay or rumors unless you claim it as such)

UPC Database entries:
R4

seedvt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
R4 clones might work for basic gaming, but in actuality it has no support.

R4 clone's firmwares are exactly the same as the original R4's, just with a few backgrounds changed and text changed. Since the original team is DEAD, don't expect any real updates from any R4 clone.

The reason we hate clones is that they are blatant ripoffs of the original product, and they profit off of that, not to mention the build quality is questionable.

The site you linked is selling an R4 clone at a ridiculous price. You could probably get one elsewhere for $15-20 USD.

For $33, you could get a Supercard DS One (with a bit left over) which has loads more features and has a better support team..

But to answer your question, some other clones of R4 would include:
R4DS III
R4 Advance
R4DS-HC
N5DS
E7DS

EDIT: One more thing, in addition to their questionable build quality, I believe there have a been a few cases where an N5 blew the DS's fuse and killed it.

ozzymud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, would definatly stay away from the N5, I've read that in several places.

As far as all clones being the same hardware, i dont think so, The R4-II looked the same, but the R4-III is completely different.

R4-III:
05.jpg

and the R4 Original:
mboard.jpg

and as far as paying way too much, I'm not too concerned on things whose price is under $50, What i would rather have is knowing i'm buying from a reputable retailer, getting fast shipping, and good return/warranty/etc support.

I know now that the R4-III is an "outdated" card, my Acekard RPG or even my EDGE have way more "features", but, for my 3 year old, if his R4-III dies, i would buy another, simplistic is awsome for him.

seedvt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well I'll try not to argue anymore.

If you're satisfied with product, regardless of it's name, that's perfectly fine.

I just don't like how all these companies are profiting off of the R4 name even though they have no relation to the real company whatsoever.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My question is why would anyone knowingly buy a known fake/clone (whatever) R4 flashcart when there are a lot of better flashcarts on the market that aren't fakes or clones?

Geez, some people just have R4 on the brain.
wacko.gif
Get over it, the R4 is dead. D - E - A - D, that spells dead.

Buy

something

else!

And I'll repeat the exasperated GEEZ!

ozzymud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
My question is why would anyone knowingly buy a known fake/clone (whatever) R4 flashcart when there are a lot of better flashcarts on the market that aren't fakes or clones?

wacko.gif

*snip*

OMG... do you even READ posts before you dribble some flame out?

the FIRST line of the topic reads "Ok, seeing as how the R4 looks pretty dead, there will prolly be a lot more people buying "fake", "clone", or whatever R4 cards."

fact: R4 ORIGINAL is DEAD.. I get it.. I know... GEEZ
fact: /some/ of the R4 "clones" are not clones in anything but a letter and a number R & 4 and the source firmware, not in hardware.
fact: R4 is dead for lack of updates, my R4-III runs games that are reported to not work at all or need patching on R4 v1.18 fw
fact: some of the "clones" ARE capable of SDHC (4gb confirmed on the R4-III)
fact: I think the original R4 BLOWS by todays standards, namely SDHC support

If you have an R4 and are now hung out to dry... SORRY
If you do not like the R4 style menu, dont read this thread, buy something else

Let people decide what they like best, I own several different carts (see sig), but for certain people, they might just prefer an SDHC capable R4 type card... live with it, get over it, and actually learn to read a post before flaming it.

JEEZ... it's like harping on and on about the EDGE being a FAKE Cyclo or something... people own em, people enjoy em, same diff

(P.S. and if i found an original R4 today for cheap, i would buy it, i know plenty of people that 2gig would be more then enough, and could care less if it didnt play a hanfull out of thousands of games)

GEEZ

Curley5959

CCC Member!
Trophies
Website
www.holidaygamerz.zoomshare.com
XP
Country
The fact is that if you are to willingly buy a fake R4 with the risk of it bricking your ds beyond repair, Go for it.. But, if you can get a safe and reliable card for cheaper then the R4 clone, Wouldnt you choose that over a possible bricker?? I know I would.. And it probably isnt that bad, but because the Firmware of the R4 has ceased, The clones will have to make firmware themselves and the chances of that are slim.. Yeah, they may add a few extra features per update, But nothing special..

All Im saying is that R4 clones can brick your ds, and If you would rather go with one of them instead of safe, reliable card that is much cheaper, than go for it.. Its none of my business..

Sorry if I sound like a flamer, but Im not, Im just posting my opinion on the matter..

ozzymud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Curley5959 said:
The fact is that if you are to willingly buy a fake R4 with the risk of it bricking your ds beyond repair, Go for it..

besides the N5, could you please point me to any resources of an SDHC capable R4 "clone" bricking someones DS?

Ive seen the threats of the original R4 team possibly releasing a new firmware to brick clone cards (heh, yea right, they would have to release a firmware for that to EVEN be a possibility)

an ORIGINAL R4 brick a DS... (1st hand account)
granville said:
Mine was made before the clones came out. It's the original spring mounted one (I removed the spring cuz it broke).

the dreaded N5 (dunno if it was SDHC)... which was what, blowing a fuse in the DS... hardware issue, crap card
QUOTE(wilddenim @ May 28 2008, 04:51 AM)
N5 are well known to brick your DS so DO NOT buy it!

but sans flamers and r4fanboys, i cant seem to find any other mentions of an sdhc capable R4ish cart bricking a DS...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&saf...amp;btnG=Search

maybe someone could enlighten me with a 1st hand account?

past that, till then, yes... the N5 (not N-Card) is CRAP, the sdhc new R4 carts look like another alternative (not all people like fully loaded, sometimes simple is better)

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ozzymud said:
Rayder said:

wacko.gif

*snip*

OMG... do you even READ posts before you dribble some flame out?

the FIRST line of the topic reads "Ok, seeing as how the R4 looks pretty dead, there will prolly be a lot more people buying "fake", "clone", or whatever R4 cards."

fact: R4 ORIGINAL is DEAD.. I get it.. I know... GEEZ
fact: /some/ of the R4 "clones" are not clones in anything but a letter and a number R & 4 and the source firmware, not in hardware.
fact: R4 is dead for lack of updates, my R4-III runs games that are reported to not work at all or need patching on R4 v1.18 fw
fact: some of the "clones" ARE capable of SDHC (4gb confirmed on the R4-III)
fact: I think the original R4 BLOWS by todays standards, namely SDHC support

If you have an R4 and are now hung out to dry... SORRY
If you do not like the R4 style menu, dont read this thread, buy something else

Let people decide what they like best, I own several different carts (see sig), but for certain people, they might just prefer an SDHC capable R4 type card... live with it, get over it, and actually learn to read a post before flaming it.

JEEZ... it's like harping on and on about the EDGE being a FAKE Cyclo or something... people own em, people enjoy em, same diff

(P.S. and if i found an original R4 today for cheap, i would buy it, i know plenty of people that 2gig would be more then enough, and could care less if it didnt play a hanfull out of thousands of games)

GEEZ
you sir are a tool.
Rayder is one of the most respected members on the site so how you are accusing him of not reading your thread is a joke. but hey if you want to live with R4mystique thats fine. but knowingly buying clones makes you a tool

MacGnG

Trophies
Website
www.MacGnG.com
XP
Country
United States
just wondering....

has it been CONFIRMED that any of these clones REALLY work with SDHC cards?

i know a lot of ppl say that they do but does it really work with SDHC cards?

ozzymud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder is awsome for his work on cheats, no doubt. He has also answered quite a few many questions around here.

But the rant was un-called for... he own(s|ed) an R4, and yup, it's dead now, he moved onto the Cyclo... I personally (for me) think that was a good move, i woulda, if i had been an original R4 owner, moved on about the time sdhc cards started appearing (we all know or should know that's a hardware not firmware issue).

This thread is (or was supposed to be) for those who LIKE the R4 interface, but want an sdhc capable card. And for me, the clones fit the job. Show me another card that matches price AND has as FEW features to get in the way or cause me less grief when my 3yo changes settings and I would consider it. As it stands, i can load 4gigs of games in the root directory (no slowdown listing them - "acekard"), I can enable cheats for games that allow unlimited lives and nothing more pops up each time he runs the game (EDGE - that cheat menu every time is annoying), or costs an arm and a leg and is so loaded with stuff that he will not be ready to use for years (RPG, Cyclo).

I own several cards, and more in shipping atm... i would purchase another R4-III, it does what i need it todo, i like it, and if someone else finds it to be what they want/need... great... if not... wont see me harassing them for their choice. How many times do people have to (not politely) but rudely that a card is: dead, clone, not the cheapest, not the most featue packed, etc ,etc?

Several places on this forum people other then myself have spoken highly about R4 clones and other cards, and have talked bad about near every card out there... some is correct... some is just ignorance. I still haven't found all these 1st person accounts of an R4 clone (not N5) bricking their DS... only the one TRUE R4 bricking quoted above a few posts.

I'd really like to know how many of these "bad impressions" are from the OWNER of one of the cards and not just mindless following of others info... I accidentally bought a clone, did what i normally do, bought a card and tried it out... I got lucky and am GLAD it aint an R4 original... seedvt is the only one who pointed out the N5, that i do believe, you can find LOTS of 1st person accounts from google about it blowing fuses.

Rayder came in ranting about the R4 being D E A D (spells dead ya know
tongue.gif
)... i think i said that in the very 1st line of this topic... I hate the R4 as musch as a lot of people here, aint owned one, dont want to... was a good card in its day.. but that day has past.

I came here seeking a place were people werent 1 sided... and all i see is the hearsay, i have searched for 1st person happenings of bricking... cant find it... can anyone PLEASE show me the posts?

ozzymud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MacGnG said:
just wondering....

has it been CONFIRMED that any of these clones REALLY work with SDHC cards?

i know a lot of ppl say that they do but does it really work with SDHC cards?

i can put something up on youtube if you like demo'ing my R4-III, it def works with a 4gb sdhc kingston... aint got an 8gig to try it with yet.. another forum has a member who says his R4 SDHC works with an 8gig card for what thats worth, i dont own the R4 SDHC, so dunno

EDIT: youtube video here

oh, and apparently realhotstuff has confirmed it: link

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
The only problem with you, ozzymud, is the fact that you, knowingly, provide people with clones of the dead. That's right, R4 and its clones are dead, and we gotta admit it. The GUI maybe is one of the simplest and the best, 2 taps away from running your choice ROM.

But really, clones have questionable bulds, N5 bricks your DS, and there's no guarantee they'll live long enough to satisfy you.

R4 have no support anymore, except YSMenu, which we can speculate nobody will try to patch it to work with R4 anymore, and when people using R4 clones found out that they can't play new games or their NDS is bricked for a simple GUI, a pissed off mob is the last thing you'd like to see. It doesn't take a bricked DS to piss you off, just some not working new games, even better if everybodys says "My God! It fuckin' rocks!"

ozzymud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh well... again, PLEASE show me the thread were an sdhc capable R4 (BESIDES THE N5, all knows it blows fuses) has bricked a DS.

once yet again... yes... the R4 ORIGINAL non SDHC is D E A D (did you know that spells dead?.. heh)

The R4-III firmware was last released 9-11-2008, v3.03, i found a wiki which showed what games worked and which didnt on the R4 original with v1.18 of the firmware, those games WORK on the R4-III without patching.

once again... what game wont play on the R4 original, I'd be happy to test it out on the R4-III.

The R4-III is completely different hardware, it looks VERY apparent the menu was ripped straight from an R4 original, but this card does SDHC, plays games without arm7 patching that the R4 original wont, plays at least one i tried that locks with dual white screens on v1.18, sites recomended by gbatemp.net ARE selling them STILL.

And btw, someone commented earlier about me paying $32+ $0 SH for it, i went to every site gbatemp recommends and when you add shipping, there is not a cheaper option.

I dont like Dealextreme, have had problems with them in the past, and shipping is horridly slow, but if your on a tight budget and have time to wait, sure there are cheaper out there. I dont think i even saw Dealextreme listed in the reputable dealers listed in the sticky thread here? Did i miss that? Should people ignore the gbatemp recommended sites and just go whereever?

I cannot find post ONE about R4 sdhc capable "clones" (again, cloned only in original firmware, like the EDGE) being the cause of a bricked DS (and pretty please I know about the N5 blowing fuses, but show me the threads of 1st person accounts of an "ARR FOUR with sdhc" bricking a ds.

Honestly, the more choices people have, the better for consumers, YES by all means point out the N5s of the world, but dont go on hearsay, I bought one, tried it, and have been posting loads of proof, videos of games the R4 wont run running, the "clone" using a 4gb sdhc card, links to gbatemp recommended sites to purchase them. And all anyone can do is spout vague refrences to "clones have questionable bulds", R4 dont do sdhc, and the dreaded N5 and it blowing fuses on the DS.... come on... where is the data to support such nonsense (cept for the N5, google is chock full of people crying over a blown fuse).

I'm pretty sure there are some R4 clones that claim to support sdhc, but dont... I started this thread with the intent of giving people info to make informed decisions (not just my opinion, hell, i bought myself an Acekard RPG, my wife an EDGE, and my daughter and Acekard2)

so please, no rumor, just facts please
smile.gif

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Yes, and the first days for N5 users were happy days, until someone got his fuse blown up, and people get paranoid and leave N5 alone

Every facts start from rumor, or at least, some predictions/theory. If everybody wants facts to act, then there will be no fact at all.

Scientists since Newton Era says the time is steady, it is absolute, nothing can be too fast or too slow regarding time, and when astronauts come home younger than their family, people began to speculate about the theory and proved that time is unsteady, but stable.

If medical scientists want facts before thay act, then they'll never release any medicine at all, they gotta make sure the medicine won't harm testers, but if it does, there will be uproar, but if they don't take the risk and move along without any supporting facts, they won't get far

The point of these two text is that fact is not that important, figure out things based on your instinct.

N5 had blown some fuse, that's a fact.
N5 is an R4 clone, that's a fact.
R4-III, R4 Advance, R4 SDHC are R4 clones, that's a fact.
Now, with that pattern, what's the future of NDS fuses when used with R4-III?

Scientific people says: "Nobody fuckin' knows! They're different!"
Consumer says: "A clone has blown up some fuses before, what will another clone do different? They're clones!"

People need something to make them comfortable and feel secure, no Cyclo, Supercard, original R4 has bricked any NDS yet. And for new carts, there are people who can support them whnever something happened, R4 and its clones have no clear team however and consumers can't do anything but buy a new cart whenever something happens, that's not good at all

ozzymud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
clone = same, but inferior
do you even get the concept of a clone?
R4-III, R4 Advance, R4 SDHC all have VERY different internals (R4-III vs R4 pics in this thread)

R4 original has bricked a DS (1st hand user account of it)

safer, more reliable... my Acekard2 is out for RMA at the moment...

the firmware hacked or not is clearly not the same anymore, v1.18 games that didnt work or needed a patch WORK NOW, link to video in this thread.

I already stated that none of gbatemp.net preferred resellers have anything for under $30 w/shipping... some people actually wanna see the sites referrals and not go by a bunch of people who must have everyone else see it THEIR way or no way.

2 months of card in/card out to put games on, and a 3 year old torturing it tells my instinct that my R4-III is a NICE card.

Price is not always the biggest issue either, unless your allowance aint enough, but for most adults, $20 is nothing... you know what happens when you "break" a 20, the rest just kinda goes (specially if you have kids)

So far the only cards i would TRUST are much much higher in price... RPG, Cyclo, etc etc

Yall obviously dont own a sample, havn't owned anything but an antiquidated R4, or were someone burnt by an N5... I own it, my statements about it are from personal experience... but still... please show me the R4 sdhc (not N5) clone postings from owners who have had one fry their ds....

thought so...

Curley5959

CCC Member!
Trophies
Website
www.holidaygamerz.zoomshare.com
XP
Country
I dont really care.. All Im saying is that if you would rather pay 10 bucks extra for a flashcart which is less reliable than the one that is cheaper, Go for it..

And, Im not saying that the R4 SDHC is bad, all Im saying is that if you will willingly by a clone, which could possibly brick your ds instead of buying a better flash card for cheaper, Go for it.. Just stop advertising the clone R4's...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...