Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Waninkoko's Backup Loader (LEAKED BETA) Sep 18th 2008​
Guide/FAQ By Praetor​
This is a LEAKED BETA, not intended for public use and NOT SUPPORTED OR CONDONED BY WANINKOKO. This software comes with no warranty expressed or implied; any risk of using the software is if your choosing and is not my fault, Nintendo's fault, Waninkoko's fault, or anyone else's. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Use of this software may void your Nintendo Wii's Warranty. Use at your own risk.​

Created By:
Waninkoko (wii.waninkoko.info)

Beta Tested By:
Linkinworm (Vids)
Brakken (http://www.tehskeen.com/)

Needs:
CIOS Rev 5 (beta?)
DVDX ("for now")
Windows Executable Patcher, may work on Linux with Wine, or on Mac OS X with virtualization/bootcamp
Patched ISO
The Loader
Wii
WAD Manager
SD Card
Wii Remote
Twilight Princess
Twilight Hack Savegame
Homebrew Channel
DO NOT ASK FOR ISOs.

*Loader/cIOS/Patcher
DVDX
WAD Manager
Twilight Hack
Homebrew Channel
ImgBurn

How to Use (Experienced Homebrew user):
1. Acquire all files.
2. Put the iso in the same directory of the backup-creator with the common-key file.
3. Patch the ISO with the .exe that came in the download.
4. Install the CIOS on your Wii
5. Install DVDX. Go to Advanced and choose 249
6. Install Wii Loader
7. Burn the patched ISO with ImgBurn
8. Run the loader

Newbie Guide (Thanks zidane_genome!)
Part One: Preparing the Loader
1. Configure your SD card for homebrew. Learn about some of the basic concepts and most used programs in using homebrew, such as the Twilight Hack and the Homebrew Channel. Learn more here.
2. Rename the dvd-backup.dol file to boot.dol and create a folder titled "Loader". Place the .dol in the folder. Find some graphic/xml files to fill in for now, or make your own.
3. Place the CIOS36_rev5-64-v1042.wad file in the wad directory of your SD card.
4. Place the backup loader files (boot.dol, icon.png, meta.xml) in the Loader folder, and put the Loader folder in the apps folder on your SD Card.
5. Place the DVDX installer in a folder titled "DVDX" (without quotes) and put that in the apps folder on your SD card.
6. Place the WAD manager folder in your apps folder on your SD card.
7. Boot the Homebrew channel.

Part Two: Wii Setup. Only do these steps ONCE.
1. Install cIOS via the WAD Manager.
2. Install DVDX. If you have the option to Uninstall on the menu, DO THAT FIRST.
3. Navigate in the menu to "ADVANCED". Press LEFT or RIGHT on the Wii remote until you get to IOS249. Install it.

Now you are ready to get some games and play them on your Wii.

Part Three: Getting and Playing games on Your Wii
1. Find an ISO and download it (DON'T ASK WHERE TO GET THEM HERE).
2. Patch the game ISO. Put the ISO in the same directory of the backup-creator with the common-key file, RIGHT CLICK the ISO, and select OPEN WITH. Find the backup creator and select it.
3. Wait for this process to be done, and then burn the newly created file to a DVD (recommendation: Verbatim DVD-R) using the free ImgBurn.
4. Put your disc in the Wii. Boot up your Wii and load the Backup Loader from the Homebrew Channel.

Note for NTSC (US/Japan) users: You MUST use component cables or a VGA box. The Standard Wii A/V cables seem to give the vsync/black and white issues with this beta.

Rumors:
Official Release in October?
DVDX not needed? (for "final" release)
Doesn't (yet?) work with GC Games?
Some things show up as Black and White only?
It seems so far that with HD cables or VGA, NTSC works. Without them, they do not.

Known Facts:
Can only read at 3x speed, resulting in longer load times.
More glitches for NTSC so far.
Can use out of region games.
Cannot use existing burnt backups, MUST use patcher first.
Scrubbed games WORK!!!!

Need to Know (Info Not Yet Obtained):
Game Patching (aka Manhunt 2 remove censors, SSBB textures)?
Works online?

Errors:
Error: "cant find partition title key".
Solution: Put the ISO in the same directory of the backup-creator with the common-key file, RIGHT CLICK the iso, and go OPEN WITH backup creator.

Compatibility List:
Green: Playable with no or very minor bugs.
Orange: Playable, with bugs.
Red: Unplayable/Doesn't Work

Wii Chess (PAL) NOTES:

SMG (PAL) NOTES:

LoZ TP (PAL) NOTES:

LoZ TP NTSC NOTES:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PAL) NOTES: Burn Speed 4x, Cinematics have graphical bugs.

Zack and Wiki (NTSC) NOTES: Unconfirmed Rumor

Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (PAL) NOTES: NTSC Wii, VGA Monitor

RE Umbrella Chronicles (NTSC) NOTES: Black and White, apparently hurts eyes. NTSC Wii.

Alone in the Dark (NTSC) NOTES: NTSC Wii, HDTV

Pokemon Battle Revolution (NTSC) NOTES: NTSC Wii, HDTV, Opening movie doesn't play (but audio does), rest of game is fine.

Mario Kart Wii (NTSC) NOTES: NTSC Wii, HDTV, ONLINE DOES NOT WORK

Blast Works (NTSC) NOTES: NTSC Wii, HDTV

Boom Blox (NTSC) NOTES: NTSC Wii, HDTV

Please PM ME MORE COMPATIBILITY INFO and I will add it here. Include BURN SPEED, GAME REGION, WII REGION, GAME NAME, and any other info (Scrubbed, regionshifted, edited, brickblocked, whatever.)

-COMPAT LIST NOT MAINTAINED- a Wiki with a more in-depth backup list has been established, but since they stole my work and DID NOT CREDIT ME, I will not link to it.

Copyright 2008 R.S.H. (DOUCHE BAGS)​

skedone

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. do you only install this wad with the Cios installer or do you still need the other wad from a game?

2. what if you already have DVDx installed

3. anyone got working under Linux?

Praetor192

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
skedone said:
1. do you only install this wad with the Cios installer or do you still need the other wad from a game?

2. what if you already have DVDx installed

3. anyone got working under Linux?
1. All files can be found here http://rapidshare.com/files/146449970/wii_loader.rar.html except DVDX and WAD Manager
2. Not sure. Will find out ASAP
3. Try using Wine.

QUOTEWhy is Zack and Wiki a rumor?? Do you think it works?
By the time it got to me, it was third-hand information. I prefer having the testers tell me directly.

DrKupo

Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This thread is full of misinformation and crap. Stop publishing crap. This will be in PAL for people with tvs that can't handle PAL. Those with NTSC wiis and a tv made in the last 10 years will be fine. We don't really even need a compatibility thread anyway.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
DrKupo said:
This thread is full of misinformation and crap. Stop publishing crap. This will be in PAL for people with tvs that can't handle PAL. Those with NTSC wiis and a tv made in the last 10 years will be fine. We don't really even need a compatibility thread anyway.

Seriously. To my knowledge PAL compatible TV sets are extraordinarily rare in NTSC regions. Very different from PAL regions, where pretty much any modern TV does NTSC fine.

skedone

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cheers for that mate . does it matter if i have never install a Cios before and does it matter what version of firmware on my wii i have ... sorry for being a pain just want to make sure i have all the files . i all ready have dvdx installed so will run that again and uninstall then go from there

Praetor192

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
I'm keeping it as up-to-date as possible, relying on the information provided to me. If it turns out to be false, I remove it. Look at the "Notes" beside each item to see why it may or may not work. It seems so far that with HD cables or VGA, NTSC works. Without them, they do not.

QUOTEcheers for that mate . does it matter if i have never install a Cios before and does it matter what version of firmware on my wii i have ... sorry for being a pain just want to make sure i have all the files . i all ready have dvdx installed so will run that again and uninstall then go from there
No, install it now and it should work fine.
Firmware 3.2 and 3.3 seem to work, I don't believe anyone has tried any below that yet. DVDX needs to have the special 249 install.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guide to installing the LEAKED UNSUPPORTED BETA.

Please note: Following these instructions does not mean I am responsible for your Wii. Just because I wrote them does not mean I know what your doing in your home where ever you may be. If you semi-brick or full-brick your Wii, then your a dumbass, and I fart in your general direction! I am not responsible for fixing your Wii, nor will I buy you a new one.

And now for something completely different!

This guide will... well... guide you to installing, copying/burning, and playing your Wii games with the LEAKED UNSUPPORTED BETA verison of Waninkoko's Softmod.

What you will need;

Softmod package.
Homebrew Browser
Some Wii Games
A way to dump them.
A DVD burner and blank discs.

I will not link to any of these items, as they are all over the place.

Here is the steps now.

First, you want to copy all the necissary files to your SD card. How you do that is up to you. You'll want the place the Loader in the APPS folder, and the cIOS wad file in the WAD folder. Once you've done that, move to step 2

Step 3. After completing the all important step 2 (you did finish it, right?) you'll want to install the following apps via the Homebrew Browser:

Wad Manager 1.2
DVDx

After downloading them, go back to the Homebrew Channel (press HOME) and run DVDx. You will see 3 options.
Normal Install
PatchMii Install
Advanced Install

IF YOU SEE UNINSTALL YOU MUST DO THAT FIRST!!!!!

Now, go to Advanced Install, and press RIGHT on the dpad until you get to IOS249. When it's done, choose EXIT. You'll be back at the Homebrew Channel.

Now, select the Wad Manager. You'll be greated by more of the same black screen/white text. Now, install the cIOS wad file. EASY!

Once you have DVDx and cIOS your ready to work on patching your games.

Once you have a Wii.iso file you need to patc it. (no, I will not tell you how to get one, nor will anyone else. If you ask, you will be banned from the boards. No second chances!)

You need to make a folder on your desktop and call it Wii. Inside that folder, your going to put 3 files. backup-creator.exe
common-key
wii.iso (this is the image file you made, it did not come with the app pack)

Click START > RUN > type CMD and press enter. You'll get that black box (command prompt). You'll type this:

cd desktop
cd wii
backup-creator wii.iso

This will take a fair amount of time (5-10 minutes).

Once done, the black box will tell you to press any key to continue. You may now close it. You will have a new file in your folder, partition.iso. This is the file you will burn. If you want this to work, you can't go pick up a 100 pack at your local gas station for $12.99... you have to use GOOD media... Memorex, Sony, Verbatim, something with a brand name... not Office Max or Staples branded DVD+-Rs... I personally use Memorex DVD+R. And for the love of god, 1x is not a good burn speed for Wii games.

DVD's have a rating for a reason. If your DVD+-R disc say's 16x, BURN IT AT 16x!!!!! It's meant to be burnt that fast! It will work best when burnt that fast! If you have a DVD+-R that say's 1x, then by all means, burn at 1x! Most DVD+-R discs will be rated at 8x or 16x. BURN THEM AT THE SPEED PRINTED ON THE DISC!!! You've been warned... burning at a slower speed will hurt the media, and cause the Wii to have problems reading it.

Once you have your disc burnt, turn on your Wii, go to the Homebrew Channel, load up the backup loader, and insert the disc when prompted. Press A to play the game, or B to return to the Hombrew Channel.

ENJOY, and take a moment to thank Waninkoko for the pure awesomeness that is Waninkoko!

Compatibility List maintained at Wiki - NTSC Compatibility Wiki

-- All game are NTSC on NTSC Wii/tv tested with high def component cables and standard cables --

Praetor192

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
zidane_genome said:
Instructions:

Rename the .dol file to boot.dol and place in a folder. Find some graphic/xml files to fill in for now, or make your own. (more on that later)

place the cIOS******.wad file in your WAD directory of your SD card.

Place the backup loader files (boot.dol, icon.png, meta.xml) in the APPS folder on your SD Card.
Place the DVDx installer in your APPS folder on your SD card (can be found at www.google.com)
Place the Wad manager in your APPS folder on your SD card (also, found at www.google.com)

boot the Homebrew channel.

FIRST
install cISO via the WAD Manager.
SECOND
install DVDx. IF YOU SEE UNINSTALL ON THE MENU, DO THAT FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then go to ADVANCED, and press LEFT or RIGHT on the wii remote until you get to IOS249. Install then.
THIRD
Patch the game iso. Figure this out on your own, not all that hard.
FOURTH
load the Backup Loader, THEN place your disc in the drive when prompted.
lol, I was typing something very similar right before you posted
wink.gif

Christen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
zidane_genome said:
Instructions:

Rename the .dol file to boot.dol and place in a folder. Find some graphic/xml files to fill in for now, or make your own. (more on that later)

place the cIOS******.wad file in your WAD directory of your SD card.

Place the backup loader files (boot.dol, icon.png, meta.xml) in the APPS folder on your SD Card.
Place the DVDx installer in your APPS folder on your SD card (can be found at www.google.com)
Place the Wad manager in your APPS folder on your SD card (also, found at www.google.com)

boot the Homebrew channel.

FIRST
install cISO via the WAD Manager.
SECOND
install DVDx. IF YOU SEE UNINSTALL ON THE MENU, DO THAT FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then go to ADVANCED, and press LEFT or RIGHT on the wii remote until you get to IOS249. Install then.
THIRD
Patch the game iso. Figure this out on your own, not all that hard.
FOURTH
load the Backup Loader, THEN place your disc in the drive when prompted.

Very easy install!

NOTE FOR NTSC (US/Japan) users!!! YOU MUST USE COMPONENT CABLES OR A VGA BOX. The Standard Wii A/V cables seem to give the vsync/black and white issues at this point.

REMEMBER!! THIS IS ONLY A BETA!!! A VERY VERY VERY EARLY BETA!!!!

EDIT

I'm testing games as fast as my poor burner can run... I have to give it a 20 min break after every 2nd burn, or it'll blow up.
Next test, Pokemon Battle Revolution

Well, guess I'm out of luck for the time being. Gaming on a 13' SDTV FTW!

zidane_genome

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon Battle Revolution

Opening movie video doesn't play, but audio does (due to 3x)

Color, NTSC game/wii/tv with high def component cables.

Works fine!

NEXT UP: Boom Blox!

zidane_genome

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
We're working on it... it's only been out for an hour or so... takes time to dump the game, patch it, then burn it to test it...

Wait a day or so for a longer list to be out...

skedone

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@zidane thanks for that mate that was the best install guide so far got rid of all my worrys that did thanks mate

zidane_genome

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
not a problem... just trying to help... it's now almost 4am, and I have a very busy day tomorrow, lol... one last test... as soon as Boom Blox is burnt, and tested, I'm getting my extremely tired ass to bed... wife's already asleep!

Hammi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
zidane_genome said:
We're working on it... it's only been out for an hour or so... takes time to dump the game, patch it, then burn it to test it...

Wait a day or so for a longer list to be out...

Yeah okay, I'll try them myself when I get home and let you guys know then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since...