PSP-4000 announced; IT PLAYS PS2 GAMES?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
psplogo4.jpg

"Sony let out details about a new console they are planning on releasing this year before christmas.

In an unanticipated move, Sony have announced details on their next portable gaming console in its PlayStation® Portable range, dubbed PSP-4000.

In a statement at a recent press conference, SCEE president David Reeves announced the decision for the hardware update.

What's unusual about this move is that it follows the release of Sony's new console, the PSP-3000, which hit the shelves less than a month ago. Speculators believe that this sooner than expected update was made by Sony in an attempt to give it a competitive advantage over Nintendo's new DSi.

Details on this new model were sketchy however. Reeves announced that the new model is expected to be available before Christmas this year, but the price had yet to be finalized. The new model builds on the PSP-2000's "slim and lite" design, and the PSP-3000's improved screen and built-in microphone, and adds an improved processing unit.

Sony announced details on making PlayStation® 2 games available for download via its PlayStation® Store, which could then be transferred to and played on the PSP-4000.

Critics of the PSP™ say that the system's main weakness is it's lack of quality games, and some believe that Sony is relying on the strength and popularity of its aging console to improve the sales of its current generation systems, the PlayStation® Portable and PlayStation® 3. "

Console Spot

I'll add on to this as I find more articles about the PSP 4k. Discuss!

Seven

oh hell no
Trophies
Website
phantasme.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
What.

They just killed the LCD screen on the 3k model, but now PS2 games? And they plan to do this in the clear of ~2 months? They'd best be trolling.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Well, I would imagine it's real. If you think about it, it makes sense that a new PSP4000 is coming out... so they have to add something to it. If they just fix the screen, they're basically admitting to their mistake. However... it sounds very fishy. Why does it say that the games will be available for PSP-4000? How come it doesn't say that PS2 games will be available for ALL PSP's?

That would mean that the PSP-4000 got some major improvements, including graphical improvements... which basically makes the PSP-4000 and "PSP2", since it could open up a whole new range of games for it. (With better graphics and better processing)

Also, how would the PSP-4000 take care of the missing R2 and L2 buttons? (This is kind of a moot point, since I'm sure they'll just do what they did with PSX emulation...)

SonicRax

Egg-Mayo: The Movie
Trophies
XP
Country
Lies. This CAN'T be true. x_x

Then again, I suppose it could, what with the shitload of Negative Reps the PSP "Brite-but-not-that-brite-cuz-it-was-a-stupid-idea-making-Sony-DIM," Sony probably think they have to redeem their little handheld in one way or another. Ah well. xD

jumpman17 said:
And where are the 4.7 GB games going to be stored? I call bull.

Very well made point. Unless Sony decided to give it an internal memory of at least 20GB, there wouldn't be the possibility of storing more than five PS2 games at the same time, which would probably have some fans foaming at the mouth. The PS2 ISOs are massive (or Mah-HOO-sive) compared to PS1/PSX and PSP titles. This is likely to be false, especially because no other site I've seen carries this same piece of "news."

QUOTE(War @ Oct 26 2008, 05:04 PM) Also, how would the PSP-4000 take care of the missing R2 and L2 buttons? (This is kind of a moot point, since I'm sure they'll just do what they did with PSX emulation...)

If they did do the same thing they do with PS1/PSX emulation, games like Kingdom Hearts wouldn't be able to play properly. Because the D-Pad is required for scrolling through the Battle Interface, and the Analog Stick is required for movement in that game, it'd be impossible to map both key inputs on one Analog, because it wouldn't function correctly. Not to mention, this new PSP would need two analog sticks, which Sony should've done by now, but haven't bothered to yet. If they did put that in however, I could see it working. Somewhat.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Yeah, as for the PS2 game downloads, there could be a number of solutions...

Internal harddrive
Huge price drop in memory sticks
Compressed PS2 games...?

Honestly, even if they don't look perfect, PS2 emulation would be such a dream come true. I was forced to sell my PS2 by my mom, and the PS2 was my favorite console ever. I had it for 4 years or so, and it was really fun... so a portable PS2 would be amazing.

SaltyDog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With Sony Europe and Amazon not taking any more orders for the PSP-3000 this does make sense. Obviously you would have L2 and R2 plus dual analog on a new PSP. Even the DSi is dumping its slot 2 so that means no rumble pack support, plus knowing that big-N is adding a front facing camera, I would bet a Wario Ware game would make use of that making older DS's obsolete. Sony really needs to come up with something grand and PS2 emulation would do it. And, not all games are 4GB plus compression like they did for the PSX games coupled with an internal drive or large memory sticks is very viable.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lul wut? PS2 games on a PSP? Has hell frozen over? If thats the case, then they should make it so we can play Wii on it
tongue.gif

But yeah, that'd be awesome. I'd honestly buy one if that were true...even though I have a PS2. But its portable!
biggrin.gif

Edit:

If I remembered correctly, Sony pulled all the 3000 PSP off the shelves because of the problems it had. Maybe they are using the 4000 to bounce back. That's just what I think.

ShadowXP

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would say that the PSP PS2 games would be less graphically superior than their original PS2 counterparts, converted games in a sense - not an "emulation" of direct PS2 titles. But who knows.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
You guys should take this news article very lightly... although it does actually make sense for the new PSP to be able to emulate the PS2, this is the ONLY NEWS SOURCE that had the announcement of the PSP-4k listed. I looked on QJ, Kotaku, Siliconera, etc etc and ConsoleSpot was the only site that had any details about this. For all we know, it could be fake.

tl;dr Wait until another reliable site lists the announcement of the PSP4k before you start speculating.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Woah... PS2 emulation...

I've considered buying a PSP many times, but primarily because of the homebrew (read: emulation). Playing PSX-games would be great, but not great enough to buy another handheld for. PS2 emulation would be awesome! I have both a GameCube and an Xbox, but I've missed a lot of great PS2-games. It's time to play those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1