Hacking fake detector substitute?

aimansss95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i heard from bri that the fake detector that i'va got is different from on teh dstt vid...well i wonder if we can somehow use the old v1.16 (which is said to have a fakekiller..i think) and if yours is killed just use the recovery right?? can someone pls tell me if this is the right way..or a possible way

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If the fake detector you have tells you that your DSTT is real, you can be fairly sure it's real. Sure, you should be able to recover it if you find out it's not real and destroy it with fake-killer firmware, but really there's no reason to take the risk either way.

The 1.15 firmware that's in the download area of this site is safe (the 1.15 that's currently on the official site has fake-killer code added to it). The only difference between the 1.15 on this site and the 1.16 version (aside from the fake-killer code) is that 1.16 fixes one obscure Japanese game. Get the safe 1.15 here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=2872

If you really want to use 1.16, here is a version with the fake-killer code disabled: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4230

Either of those should work just fine on either a fake or a real DSTT.

-Bri

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Then just grab 1.16 from the official ndstt.com site and hope your DSTT is real. If not, you can always recover it (read on)...

Yes, the video you linked to is real (actually, your link is broken, you have to remove the extra dash at the end). The software is available from the download area of this site: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4086

The archive contains the following files:

FakeDetector.nds (determines whether your DSTT is a fake or not)
DsttFlashWriter.nds (re-flashes the fake DSTT destroyed by fake-killer)
DSTTDUMP.BIN (data that gets re-flashed by the DsttFlashWriter)
TTMENU.DAT (the official 1.16 firmware patched to disable fake-killer code).

If your DSTT is working, run the FakeDetector to see if it's a fake. Note that it has been reported that the FakeDetector returns "true" (indicating a real DSTT) when it can't determine if it's real or fake. In other words, if you run it without a flash cart or with a completely nonfunctioning flash cart, it may return "true."

If you've determined that you have a fake DSTT and it has not yet been destroyed by the fake-killer firmware, use "TTMENU.DAT" in place of the official 1.16 firmware to ensure that it will continue working properly.

If your fake DSTT has been destroyed by the fake-killer firmware, but works intermittently, copy DsttFlashWriter.nds, DSTTDUMP.BIN, and TTMENU.DAT (replace the one from the official 1.16 firmware) to the root of your microSD card, and run DsttFlashWriter from the menu. Press "A" to being the recovery. Restart and confirm that it now works properly. Once working properly, you can delete DsttFlashWriter.nds and DSTTDUMP.BIN from your microSD card, but leave TTMENU.DAT to replace the official 1.16 firmware so that your fake DSTT doesn't get destroyed again.

If your fake DSTT doesn't work at all, you can recover it by running DsttFlashWriter on a working flash cart. Copy DsttFlashWriter.nds and DSTTDUMP.BIN to the root of the microSD card of the working flash cart, and run DsttFlashWriter on the working cart. Insert the non-working fake DSTT when prompted (no need to have a microSD card in the non-working flash cart at this point) and then press "A" to being the recovery. Before testing out the recovered fake DSTT, copy TTMENU.DAT to the microSD card of the fake DSTT (replace the one from the official 1.16 firmware) to ensure that your fake DSTT doesn't get destroyed again. Once you've confirmed that the fake DSTT is working, you can delete DsttFlashWriter.nds and DSTTDUMP.BIN from the microSD card of the other flash cart.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

-Bri

aimansss95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well the interesting about the vis is...that it said it can turn the fake card to a genuine card and you'll ba able to dwnld the latest firmware?? is that true??

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
aimansss95 said:
well the interesting about the vis is...that it said it can turn the fake card to a genuine card and you'll ba able to dwnld the latest firmware?? is that true??

no that's totally FALSE/WRONG statement!

It just restores the TTDS rom bios status to what it was before being KILLED ...using the KILLER 1.16 kernel again just KILLS it again leaving you to have to redo the RECOVERY again!

I've tested this and found that is EXACTLY what happens!

once a FAKE it will ALWAYS be a FAKE unless someone figures how to make the internal chips flash memory resilient to the killer kernel which is doubtful!?

note: 1.15 download from the official TTDS website also now contains the FAKE KILLER! ...so if you want/wish to use that version its available in the download section or in one of my posts in the FakeDetector & FakeRecovery_v1.16a thread!

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's weird is they go to all this fuss to protect their software and don't ever bother updating with rom fixes anyway..... what's the dam point. If they were serious about providing actual support to it's legit customers they would of updated while the fake killer code was uncracked; these jokers can't even be bothered to give it's customers a even a simple 'folder' view now that 8 and 16 GB mem cards are affordable and popular, who the hell wants to scroll through a single list of 300+ games.... idiots

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
aimansss95 said:

The video you cited doesn't say that. Look at it again. It only re-flashes the fake, but it'll remain a fake (and will be destroyed again if you run fake-killer firmware on it).

kobykaan said:
once a FAKE it will ALWAYS be a FAKE unless someone figures how to make the internal chips flash memory resilient to the killer kernel which is doubtful!?

I believe that this site shows a way to turn at least one fake into a real one (or at least real enough that it isn't detected by the fake-killer firmware, but it requires some soldering. Of course, it's in Japanese so I'm not positive: http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl...4GB303%26sa%3DG

But you're correct that there is no way to convert a fake into a real DSTT via software. The fake-killer firmware is apparently detecting hardware differences.

QUOTE(rasputin @ Dec 29 2008, 08:00 PM)
these jokers can't even be bothered to give it's customers a even a simple 'folder' view now that 8 and 16 GB mem cards are affordable and popular, who the hell wants to scroll through a single list of 300+ games.... idiots

Correction: 300+ unsorted games! They haven't even bothered to add alphabetic sorting (which would be very simple to add).

-Bri

jruschme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the fake killer is in TTMENU.DAT, then what would be the effect of installing YSmenu on an unpatched copy of 1.16? Would that disable the fake killer or is it part of the code that getes extracted by the ttextract.exe program?

Thanks..

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
YSMenu will kill your fake DSTT if you use an unpatched copy of 1.16 (i.e. a copy without the fake-killer code disabled). I don't have any idea whatsoever what would happen with YSMenu if you use the patched version (i.e. the version that has the fake-killer code disabled).

kobykaan has been our resident guinea pig. Want to try it and let us know if it works?

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: