Hacking Burning backups

david432111

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This guide helps you burn Wii and Gamecube backups that are compatible with the backup loaders, cioscorp/Softmii and modchips.

Getting the game:
First of all you need the actual iso of the game you want, you could backup your own copy of the game or find one online. I won't show you how to find games online
as this is illegal, but I will show you how to backup you own games.

There are two ways of doing it, you could one: have a dvd burner that's capable of reading wii disks
or you could back up the games using your wii. If you chose to download the game online skip ahead to the Required Programs section.

For backing up games via your pc there's a nice guide here. Note that very few burners are supported.

Backing up games to Sd, usb or over wifi:

Remember, to do this you need Wiigators cios rev7, which you can download right here and it includes a nice installer. You'll also need the homebrew channel if you don't have it.

Download Waninkoko's dvd dump tool, from here.

Unzip it using Winrar or another similar program, make a new folder in the "apps" folder on your sd and copy the "cIOS-DVD-Dumper_v1.2.dol" file from the zip to the folder you just made. Now rename it to boot.dol

Boot the application from the homebrew channel.

Dumping over wifi(Much easier):

* Choose "Network mode" by using the d-pad.

* Select what type of disk it is.

* Insert the disk(If it's already inserted take it out and put it back in).

* Go to the url shown and click download.(The only current dual layer disk is Super Smash Bros. Brawl)

* This should take about 2.5 hours for wii games and about an hour for gamecube games.

Dumping the game to an sd card or a usb flashdrive:

* First choose "Device Mode (Sd, USB)" by using the d-pad.

* Select what type of disk it is.(The only current dual layer disk is Super Smash Bros. Brawl)

* Now you'll need to select the split size. Make sure you have enough free space for the size of the piece you chose.

* It'll stop when you've dumped the piece. Now copy the file it made over to your computer and delete it from the device.

* Insert it again and repeat until it says that it's done.

* Download hjsplit from here and run it in the folder you copied all the parts to, you should now have one big iso file.
If your using a mac, you should be able to run it using crossover.

Required Programs:
When it's done get ready to go to http://imgburn.com and download the program. This is the program you'll need to use to burn the game on to a disk.
When it's downloaded, install it. Mac users can just use disk utility, so no need to download anything.

Dvd media:

The wii is very picky on what dvd's it'll read so your typical data dvd's are most likely not going to work here. The best dvd's for the job are Verbatims and Taiyo Yudens dvd-r's. A lot
info is available on finding good quality media here. But before you use money on new dvd's your current cheap dvd-r's might work, they just some times take a few burns before they turn out right.

If you want to try and see if your current dvd's will so the job skip ahead to the Burning section. But if you don't have any dvd-r's laying around you can buy the listed brands at sites like newegg and tigerdirect or even your local electronics shop. Keep in mind that dvd+r's might work too, but for the wii to read those your need to set the book type to dvd-rom, you can find out how here. You can also use rewritable dvd's but few wii's read them, most have trouble reading them. Remember they have to be Dvd's, as cd's won't work.

Updates and Region free
(Only modchip, cioscorp and softmii users need this)(Not required for gamecube backups)
(Only modchip, cioscorp and softmii users need this)(Not required for gamecube backups)

Many times the games you get will be from another region and therefore you can't play them unless you use starfall(Link to Guide below). When your doing that you might as well also block updates, as sometimes games from other regions contain updates and if you update you may brick your wii.

Here's a guide here complete with a video on how to install starfall. Make sure to select the options you want(E.g Region free and Update blocker) if you have any doubts or are having problems installing look there.

Burning:

Yay! We've reached the burning process!

Open up ImgBurn(The program you installed earlier) and select "Write image file to disc".

If your using a mac you can just use disk utility to burn it. Again there's a short guide here

fdwnpf.jpg

Near the top there will now be a small icon beside the text saying "Please select a file".
Choose the first small icon with the little folder and magnifying glass. A windows will pop up and ask you to select a file. Select the file we copied from the wii earlier or if you downloaded the game select where you downloaded it to and press open.

5lbbl1.jpg

Now insert a disk. At the right bottom corner there will be a settings panel.

Set the write speed to the half of what the disc you bought is rated for(E.g if you bought a dvd rated for 16x
put the write speed as 8x). Some older burners give best quality burns at lower speeds like 4x but it's best to experiment to find out the best speed for your burner.

If you are burning a dual layer game(The only current game that uses a dual layer disk is SSBB) make sure that you have a dual layer disk inserted and do the following:
Go to >Tools>Settings>Write>Layer Break>User Specified in imgburn and type 2084960

e81paa.jpg

You're ready to burn the disc! But first exit out of all programs currently running(It helps in making the dvd's good quality). Now press the big write button at the bottom of the window.
This will take less than thirty minutes depending on what speed you chose.

2a8s582.jpg

We're done!

Now insert the dvd in the wii and launch the game and see if it will load. If it gives you error 324/325 when you you try to launch the game it could be because of bad
quality media or a bad burn. If so try burning it again, if it then doesn't work it's most likely bad media. See the Dvd media section again. If you get a black and white screen
or a multi colored one, play with the video settings in the gamma loader(In the loaders settings, e.g force ntsc and force pal.) Credits go to well, the entire forum! Most of this information was gathered together by reading around the forum, so thanks everyone! I couldn't have done it without you guys!

Remember, before asking a question READ THE WHOLE THREAD. If that doesn't work USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION! Questions that can easily be found by searching will be discarded.

david432111

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
djdynamite123 said:
Decent guide, but don't know why anyone bothers, the same questions on crappy subjects still get asked!
Thanks, but if it gets stickied people will find it. Also if anyone asks why I didn't go in to details in many of the things, it's because then it gets too long and people get confused.

the mario

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This could definitely be improved upon, but it's a good start. A section on burning speeds would be useful.

david432111

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
afif95 said:
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought this is wii hacking??

And please don't be an Aimen who screams "Burning backups is a wii hack" because it ain't!

Nice tutorial nevertheless
Thanks, I did it because most people who asks questions on how to burn backups post them here.

D

Deleted User

Yea..

This guide needs a lot of "Spoiler"-ing!

(Yea, making a parody of my own guide which is full of SPOILERS
tongue.gif
)

david432111

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
djdynamite123 said:
Pm OSW, or Hadrian to add this guide to the list of guides sticky thread.....IT STILL WONT GET READ!
No-one probably takes the time to read any of them in their!
I read the guides when I started here.....

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If i were you i would also add some info on DVD+r and on re-writables - you know peiople are going to ask ....
Can i use a DVD+R ? ...
My DVD reWritable doesnt work .. why ?
My girlfriend loves DjTaz more than me.. why ?
I got DVD+R's to work while doing a handstand at 45 degrees and cooking an ostreich egg with my left foot , so your guide is wrong and they do work. why wont you correct it.
what speed should i burn at ? (i love that one)
Is it ok to use Sony Discs ?
Is it ok to use Mattakauinbuinttautu Silver foil overburn gold DVD's ?
Can i use CDs instead of DVD's cause K-Mart have a deal on ?

well you get the idea, and im going overboard here, but a few works on DVD+R's , DVd rewritables and recommended burn speeds (and why) would stop a lot of noobs questions.

AWESOME_noob

Trophies
XP
Country
djtaz said:
If i were you i would also add some info on DVD+r and on re-writables - you know peiople are going to ask ....
Can i use a DVD+R ? ...
My DVD reWritable doesnt work .. why ?
My girlfriend loves DjTaz more than me.. why ?
I got DVD+R's to work while doing a handstand at 45 degrees and cooking an ostreich egg with my left foot , so your guide is wrong and they do work. why wont you correct it.
what speed should i burn at ? (i love that one)
Is it ok to use Sony Discs ?
Is it ok to use Mattakauinbuinttautu Silver foil overburn gold DVD's ?
Can i use CDs instead of DVD's cause K-Mart have a deal on ?

well you get the idea, and im going overboard here, but a few works on DVD+R's , DVd rewritables and recommended burn speeds (and why) would stop a lot of noobs questions.

Those questions all have obvious answers- there plnty of guides on this very forum
lecture.gif

BUT the last question is what i really want to know! any answers?
laugh.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Write this in bold:
Keep in mind that dvd+r's might work too, but for the wii to read those your need to set the book type to dvd-rom

And add the information if you brickblock, region free or whatever your .iso, it's trucha signed. And if you only use loaders like SoftChip, Gecko OS(modchip users), or Gamma, you don't need to worry about the updates. But without Starfall or update removing from the disc, you shouldn't use the rebooter function of Gamma. If somebody keeps the updates on the disc, he doesn't have to worry much, he only needs to restart his Wii when he is prompted to update.

david432111

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
Write this in bold:
Keep in mind that dvd+r's might work too, but for the wii to read those your need to set the book type to dvd-rom

And add the information if you brickblock, region free or whatever your .iso, it's trucha signed. And if you only use loaders like SoftChip, Gecko OS(modchip users), or Gamma, you don't need to worry about the updates. But without Starfall or update removing from the disc, you shouldn't use the rebooter function of Gamma. If somebody keeps the updates on the disc, he doesn't have to worry much, he only needs to restart his Wii when he is prompted to update.
It already says you don't need it if you run it by the backup launcher.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afif95 said:
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought this is wii hacking??

And please don't be an Aimen who screams "Burning backups is a wii hack" because it ain't!

Nice tutorial nevertheless
Its still nice to have it here, people don't use the search function and most will just go into Wii Hacking posting many thread asking what to do.

I'm stickying this just because it may help some people, sure many don't read stickies but some do so at least it'll stop SOME posts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs