Hacking SoftMii is nothing more than a bundle?

KirovAir

Alcoholic Programmer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.jessesander.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was gone from the Wii scene for about 2 months and now I see 'SoftMii'.
So I'm like OMG they have an own forum/website and a big feature list, this must be huge!
But WHAT is SoftMii?

The main features are from different programmers:
  • cIOS corp (backup loading through disc channel)
  • Preloader (safety, sysmenu hacks)
Then you got the home made(?) features:
  • A custom health screen, which is quite unnecessary.
Mmz, nothing big added by the main SoftMii developers as far as I see.

Then, you see some intro screens:
"Region free gaming, backup loading etc."
Created by:

I don't know what I want to achieve with this topic. But I think it's unfair for the Preloader/cIOScorp dev's that heir work is being redistributed without any proper credits. They should be the big names on the credit list.
Or is that just me who's being retarded?

fozzieb

Trophies
Website
www.caledonian-it.co.uk
XP
Country
if you read the forum you will see that they have not claimed it is anything other than a pack of tools by other people and a guide they put together. They have added there own tools now and are working on other tools.

An there are full credits in the guide and on the custom made health screens credits those involved with customizing the look of the wii

Mrkinator

Neil Peart Wannabe
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Jesse Sander said:
I was gone from the Wii scene for about 2 months and now I see 'SoftMii'.
So I'm like OMG they have an own forum/website and a big feature list, this must be huge!
But WHAT is SoftMii?

The main features are from different programmers:
  • cIOS corp (backup loading through disc channel)
  • Preloader (safety, sysmenu hacks)
Then you got the home made(?) features:
  • A custom health screen, which is quite unnecessary.
Mmz, nothing big added by the main SoftMii developers as far as I see.

Then, you see some intro screens:
"Region free gaming, backup loading etc."
Created by:

I don't know what I want to achieve with this topic. But I think it's unfair for the Preloader/cIOScorp dev's that heir work is being redistributed without any proper credits. They should be the big names on the credit list.
Or is that just me who's being retarded?
SoftMii is a redesign of the system menu (the layout)

icefireicefire

GBATemp Fails.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree completely with the OP. SoftMii is nothing huge -- just a n00b friendly package. In fact, the famous "tweak installer" was made by someone completely different! There is nothing new in SoftMii...just a ZIP file with the wrong way to install all this stuff. No offense to the "creators", it is a fine guide, but don't claim you did actually any of the work.

houseonfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who cares?
SoftMii is cool. I like it. I use it.
It makes it easier to play games.
The people who don't like it don't have to use it. It's as simple as that.

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
houseonfire said:
Who cares?
SoftMii is cool. I like it. I use it.
It makes it easier to play games.
The people who don't like it don't have to use it. It's as simple as that.
But SoftMii is just a guide.

You USE the guide for a good 5 minutes or so then you're running completely different software.

AsosaYoung

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing comes from nothing. Everyone who create uses what around them. So we all use someone else s**t. The combination of ones mind fused with the achievements and failure of other is how we create new and better things. Something from here something from there, produces a product the Masses can use. That's what makes it HUGE.

And in way I agree and disagree that SoftMii is just a guide.
If all you want to do is play games then it's just a guide but if you want to truly control your Wii then it's HUGE

ArchangelX

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
archangel.0rangechicken.com
XP
Country
United States
icefireicefire said:
I agree completely with the OP. SoftMii is nothing huge -- just a n00b friendly package. In fact, the famous "tweak installer" was made by someone completely different! There is nothing new in SoftMii...just a ZIP file with the wrong way to install all this stuff. No offense to the "creators", it is a fine guide, but don't claim you did actually any of the work.
Umm, isn't that basically what WADder is? A n00b friendly package? So I wouldn't be bashing SoftMii if I was you
wink.gif

20clarky08

Official Wii Freak
Trophies
Website
20clarky08.googlepages.com
XP
Country
Didnt see any one running region free softmod's with ease before it tho did u

its not a guide, its a pack that contains a method to region free disc channel loading

if ya downloaded it ya fuckin gimp ya would see all authors are credited in the pack, so next time

actually try something before ya comment

and regarding softmii tweak

SoftMii tweak was written for us by said person and is designed specifically for us, Cinstaller is not as good as SoftMii Tweak nor is the healthii installer..and i know a good few people who will agree..

you come back after months and all you can do is post some stupid arse bullshit post

ya could of atleast fuckin come back with something useful.

fuckin trolls man who needs em

Ga1l0w

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Softmii tweaks is worth the pack alone. And I don't know if you've ever tried to install ALL the important hacks that have ever come out from scratch; it's almost impossible to find them all with decent support. Softmii is the easiest install pack I've ever seen, and now that it includes cSM alpha it truly is special.

I'm behind you all the way clarky.

20clarky08

Official Wii Freak
Trophies
Website
20clarky08.googlepages.com
XP
Country
do i think its the 2nd comin ??? NO

has ARC M5 been around for quite a while ?? YES

if ya dont like it, dont use it, simple as

jus why post some bullshit thread like yourr the authority on homebrew, the definition of SoftMii has been discussed about a thousand times man

so u take a fuckin valium

AsosaYoung

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vague Rant said:
Take a fucking valium, not everybody has to think SoftMii is the second coming. And the only reason region free disc channel loading didn't happen before SoftMii was that the tools only just now came into existence.

You have not read and understand so believe what you wish. Your right it's not the second coming there are still many things great and amazing to be discovered. But as of right now SoftMii is as complete of a package that give you as much control of your Wii as possible.

digitydogs

404 Error: Member Not Found
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm nothing original? now see that is an insult to me. Before i decided to sneak CSM into softmii there were not any custom menu's, there weren't any public custom healthscreens, nor the knowledge on how to make them (excluding wiishizzza german guide), and before you say that ice gets all the credit for healthii and mass healthscreens, ask him who helped him get it working. Now i don't claim to have written the app installer. However it was my idea and i was the one who had the connection that talked crediar into writting it for us. Before that you had to use a WAD to attempt any system menu hack. Now you can alter anything you want and not worry about a brick/having to restart your system menu and hacks from scratch, fuck up just reinstall your original app file. When it was Just Riiski mod then yeah it was just a pack of other applications, HOWEVER i don't seem to recall anyone having figured out full disc channel region free loading before we put it out.
Tell ya what when you release something that changes the scene and accelerates progress by 500% then you can bitch about other peoples releases all you want. until then just shut up.

Its people like you that make others want to say fuck the scene and stop working on projects.
And before i get 100 PM's no im not going to stop the CSM. I will still work on it and release it
tongue.gif

icefireicefire

GBATemp Fails.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know you guys have done lots of work, what I don't like is that you sorta "claim" that you "made" the features listed. You might want to have two sections, one for "homegrown" features and ones that you guys just made easier to install.

smile.gif

BTW I am going to accelerate sysmenu hacking 500%...digity check the staff room...we should stop arguing and work together more!

wiigee

Trophies
XP
Country
digitydogs said:
HOWEVER i don't seem to recall anyone having figured out full disc channel region free loading before we put it out.

i'm struggling with this part of softmii......

20 games out of 70 tested NTSC games on a my PAL system still fail to work thats only 72% success........and its the same ones that dont work before i put softmii on.....cioscorp with starfall on its own gave me the same results....so in fact its no improvement at all on disc channel loading

maybe the improvement was on NTSC systems or MODchip users......or maybe all the hacks.ini i have tested are not correct

i'll keep trying and testing.....thanks for now

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night