Hacking [TUTORIAL] Make your Wii a virgin

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NEW AND IMPROVED!

This is the new and improved guide. This will eliminate cIOSCORP, Preloader, and anything else you might have done and get your Wii back to a Virgin 3.2 state.

Tools you'll need:

AnyRegionChanger
WADManager
SystemMenu-v2xx.WAD (if your in the US, you want 289, if your in the UK, you want 290)
AnyTitleDeleter
Hacks Remover
Patience

You can get most of these from the Softmii package. SystemMenu-v2xx.WAD will have to be grabbed from somewhere else. There are certian semi-brick fix discs that have these. Remember to grab YOUR REGION's wad! Using a different region WAD will brick your system even more! If you live in the US, get 289. If you live in the UK, get 290. Sorry Japanese people, I don't know the number for your region, but it's not 289 or 290!

First, your going to want to run the Hack Remover. This will remove the hacks.ini file from your Wii. Once your done, you'll need to run the AnyRegionChanger. This will reinstall all your IOS's back to the Nintendo approved content. No more cIOSCORP modified. You can install the Starfall hacks if you'd like, and I suggest you do, just to be on the safe side. Basically, just follow the guide from Softmii at this point for installing 3.2. Just the AnyRegionChanger part. We're trying to get a Virgin Wii here.

If at this point your Wii only loads preloader, you will need to run the Homebrew Channel and install SystemMenu-v2xx.WAD from WADManager.

Next you'll want to run AnyTitleDeleter, and delete the IOS's above 200. such as 249, and anything else that high. Those are your custom IOS's that are used for DVDx and backup launchers. Since we want a virgin Wii, we don't want those installed!

After this process, you will need to run AnyTitleDeleter agian to remove the channel HAXX (Homebrew Channel). If you wish to leave the Homebrew Channel, you may leave HAXX.

Since there are many Wii's with many different configurations, I can't be 100% sure this will work for everyone, so if anyone runs into problems, please let me know.

zidane_genome

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Having needed this myself, and other's asking, thought it was time... if a mod would be kind enough to sticky?

OBI

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey zidane!?

a very ingenious tutorial!!!
wink.gif

...but what`s up with the hacks.ini? can we pay no attention to it?

thanks for responses

zidane_genome

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can use the Hacks Remover in the Softmii package, or just leave it there... it's not being read by anything, so it won't hurt anything

AsosaYoung

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AsosaYoung said:
OBI said:
Hey zidane!?

a very ingenious tutorial!!!
wink.gif

...but what`s up with the hacks.ini? can we pay no attention to it?

thanks for responses

Just uninstall it 1st.

This will be good to use when CSSM come out.

Edit: Sorry for the DP just sitting down and drinking a cup of joe.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have to add something:
1. this only works if your regular IOS are trucha capable, if you are at 3.3v2 or 3.4, this won't work, you can't delete the IOS then with AnyTitleDeleter and you can't overwrite the system menu. If you could, you wouldn't need IOS16 for the downgrade. Maybe you can modify the AnyTitleDeleter to use IOS249 to delete IOS files and i'm almost sure the WAD Manager uses IOS249 to install wads if IOS249 is found. So for 3.3v2 and 3.4 users, I would change it to, don't delete IOS249, and use a special (yet unreleased) AnyTitleDeleter to delete the unneeded IOS if there are others than IOS249
2. I would install IOS30v1040 before the installation of the system menu to get a real 3.2 system menu and not just a half. Before because, this should be more safe. If you have for example 3.4 the system menu uses IOS50, and wouldn't be bricked if you delete IOS30(when you are at 3.4!). If you don't have IOS30 or there's something wrong with it when installing the 3.2 system menu, you get a full brick.
3. The installation of IOS30 and the system menu are critical processes, if you delete one of these, or something goes really wrong with the installation of these, the Wii is bricked. If the installation just fails, because trucha is not supported, the Wii should not be bricked, but i'm not sure about that and i'm not going to test it
4. Maybe the installation of IOS36v1042 before IOS30 and the system menu is a good test, if this works without a problem, the rest should work too. The installation of IOS36 can't fail that much to brick your Wii even in the worst imaginable case.

zidane_genome

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
I have to add something:
1. this only works if your regular IOS are trucha capable, if you are at 3.3v2 or 3.4, this won't work, you can't delete the IOS then with AnyTitleDeleter and you can't overwrite the system menu. If you could, you wouldn't need IOS16 for the downgrade. Maybe you can modify the AnyTitleDeleter to use IOS249 to delete IOS files and i'm almost sure the WAD Manager uses IOS249 to install wads if IOS249 is found. So for 3.3v2 and 3.4 users, I would change it to, don't delete IOS249, and use a special (yet unreleased) AnyTitleDeleter to delete the unneeded IOS if there are others than IOS249
Remember WiiPower, this is for people who already have stuff like Softmii installed... so they have 3.2 already, and aren't going to be worrying about 3.3a/b and 3.4

QUOTE said:
2. I would install IOS30v1040 before the installation of the system menu to get a real 3.2 system menu and not just a half. Before because, this should be more safe. If you have for example 3.4 the system menu uses IOS50, and wouldn't be bricked if you delete IOS30(when you are at 3.4!). If you don't have IOS30 or there's something wrong with it when installing the 3.2 system menu, you get a full brick.
Since most people who would do this already have 3.2 due to Softmii, again, no need for this part either

3. The installation of IOS30 and the system menu are critical processes, if you delete one of these, or something goes really wrong with the installation of these, the Wii is bricked. If the installation just fails, because trucha is not supported, the Wii should not be bricked, but i'm not sure about that and i'm not going to test it
4. Maybe the installation of IOS36v1042 before IOS30 and the system menu is a good test, if this works without a problem, the rest should work too. The installation of IOS36 can't fail that much to brick your Wii even in the worst imaginable case.
Goes back to the Softmii 3.2 install...

90% of the people who need this are on Softmii with 3.2 already installed. The other 10% know what they are doing (like me and you) and don't need this guide.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You have a point, but your guide doesn't tell it's for starfall/preloader/softmii users only. I worry about noobs not understanding anything and following guides not being made for them. You can't predict what they are doing. I only want you to be careful, i think you wouldn't like it if somebody bricks his Wii with your guide, even if it's totally his own fault.

zidane_genome

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Formatting doesn't get rid of Preloader, Starfall, and it keeps the "invisible" channels like DVDx, and all the extra IOS's

Mr. T

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
first, sorry for my bad english ^^

Works this tut without problems? I plan to make my Wii virgin and will not brick my wii...

I have installed the softmii...

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It should probably be noted there will still be traces of what titles have been on the wii, and they cannot be erased unless you've got an infectus and a clean nand dump.

FlyingFinn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
This may be bit off-topic but I decided not to start own thread.
Am I correct to assume that I can (semi-)brick my Wii as follows:
- Updating wrong region system update from disk
- Installing wad from different region or otherwise broken wad as channel
- Deleting crucial system files ie IOS30,. system menu etc.

Thus, if I remove all custom channels before using your tutorial, I should be pretty safe. Am I correct? (of course deleting homebrew channel after the tutorial...)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1