GBAtemp Recommends! Densetsu no Starfy (series)

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
essentialgames.png
GBAtemp Recommends! Densetsu no Starfy (series)
G.R. Issue #19 (GBA)

Sorry for the delay in this issue, but here we are! This is GBAtemp Recommends! Our popular weekly magazine feature in which we, the GBAtemp staff, recommend classic Game Boy Advance titles!

GBAtemp Recommends!

Densetsu no Starfy (series)
gt0579.png
gt0579.png

Stafi, Starfi, Starfy... Whatever you call him, Nintendo has recently announced that they plan to localise the Nintendo DS game 'Densetsu no Stafi: Taiketsu! Dairu Kaizokudan' (DS ROM #2444) for Western players. It will be the first Starfy game to be localised, and it's about time! (The game is released June 8th in the States). So I thought, what better game to recommend this week, than the titles that made this character a star? Pun intended, of course.

The Legendary Starfy games (3 released for Game Boy Advance) are action platformer games at heart, and share quite a few similarities to the Kirby series - just with more diving and swimming and less sucking and blowing (no pun intended.... this time!). Starfy is quite literally a star who, after a ruckus in the clouds, has fallen from the heavens and into the sea, alongside the evil Ogura who was sealed in side a magic jar. After meeting some new buddies who help you get started, you must make your way through the various levels by running, jumping, swimming and spin-attacking enemies. You'll pick up new moves and attacks as you progress, but of course it's not just a case of running from left to right, as there are lots of obstacles and puzzles to over come, along with several mini games that will keep you entertained. A boss also looms at the end of most levels, which are often quite fun and challenging.

The levels are quite varied in design and appearance, with different pleasant looking areas and locales. The game controls extremely tightly and smoothly, allowing you to pull off all sorts of fancy swimming and jumps and the music and sound effects are just as enjoyable as the bright and cheerful characters and levels. One thing I should mention however; is that there is a fair amount of Japanese text in the game. Although you should be able to make your way through the majority of the game(s) without much trouble, there may be a couple of instances where you may have to resort to a walkthrough to progress.

The Starfy games are fine examples of platforming action on the GBA, and should be enjoyed by any fan of the genre. The game is cheerful and entertaining and a joy to play. When the DS title (which unfortunately I felt was disappointing compared to the GBA games) is localised, hopefully more people will pick up and enjoy this series. But for now, this issue of GBAtemp Recommends! will have to do!

Game Synopsis for the new localised DS Title said:
In the beginning, the protagonist known as Starfy, was moving things around his home, Tenkai Palace, until he tripped and dropped some things he was moving. One of them fell into the ocean, which was the Magic Jar, an object that seals the antagonist of the game known as Ogura. Meanwhile, a very severe thunderstorm with two tornadoes shook Starfy out of his home into the ocean. Later, Grandfather Rob encountered Starfy, and told him about the Magic Jar and Ogura, while he helped Starfy get back home, by making him do some swimming lessons, as well as giving directions. While Starfy was heading back home, he encountered some people he didn't know before, such as Kyorosuke, and decided to help them with their problems, like finding their missing items, defeating enemies, and so on, until Starfy and his friends fought and brought back Ogura into the Magic Jar to restore peace.
ja.gif
#0579 - Densetsu no Stafy (Eurasia)
ja.gif
#1143 - Densetsu no Stafy 2 (Eurasia)
ja.gif
#1609 - Densetsu no Stafy 3 (Caravan)

Genre: Platformer, Action
Publisher: Nintendo
Dump Date: 06/09/2002, 04/09/2003, 05/08/2004
ROM Size: 64Mbit, 128Mbit, 128Mbit

If you enjoyed this weeks edition of GBAtemp Recommends! please leave a comment in the thread. This helps us monitor feedback and ensures we keep posting these magazine articles in the future.

gicon.jpg
View in G-Online
c171.gif
Game Profile at Wikipedia
controller.png
Official GBAtemp Recommends! Mini-Page & History
discuss.png
Discuss (%nbreplies% comments)

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Starfi is a really fun game, that reminds me of Kirby for some reason. I believe it originally was going to be a GBC game, but the GBC prototype was remade into the first Starfy game on GBA, and was never released on GBC.

Barta

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nice game. I love platform games.

But most modern ones are to complicated (I come from the ZX-Spectrum era where platform games were more walk, jump and explore. I can't remember how many maps I made during gameplay).

I already got struck at the second room. 8-(
Can someone please tell me how to break the rock-blocks and the blocks with the face on it.
I feel soo stupid, but I think I'm becoming too old!

wilddenim

Candy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I love this game! I played this few months ago and thought this should be released in Europe and USA, but yeah, we're getting one so we'll see how good it is.

Language barrier are a problem in this game but don't let this stop you! This game is a magic and an example of how a game should be!

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Beyond awesome
biggrin.gif
I love platformers anyway so this one's right up my street, this series is brilliant. And the characters are just adorable (except the pervy clam, who is just a little bit creepy. Or misunderstood in translation. It's hard to tell
unsure.gif
)

D

Deleted User

Starfy is really one of the best platformers out there for the GBA. It's got such neat details and lovely characters alongside the brilliant level design. You really shouldn't miss this game. I'm really excited that it's finally getting released in the US and Europe!

One example for the neat details is that you could actually find Wario in one of the rooms in Starfy 3.
findwarioinstafy3.png

Shinji_PG

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good recommendation.
I never noticed much people talking about this game series. Back when it was released I actually completed the 3rd game and totally recommend it to any fans of platform games. There are some Kirby similarities, but it reminded me more of the Wario games.
I'll have to try the first two games one day.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
These games are good, and each entry in the series presents a significant improvement over its' predecessor. The unfortunate part is that each game from the Stafi series starting from the second has a relatively slow beginning when you must gain back some powerups you had at the end of the previous game, but I guess it's the same with Metroid...

The visual style may be reminiscent of Kirby, but the gameplay is not. The water and land difference is something that no other 2D sprite platformer has matched as well. Although, it is one of the last original 2D sprite platformers.

Love the GBA.
wub.gif

CrimsonFist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
In the beginning, the protagonist known as Starfy, was moving things around his home, Tenkai Palace, until he tripped and dropped some things he was moving. One of them fell into the ocean, which was the Magic Jar, an object that seals the antagonist of the game known as Ogura. Meanwhile, a very severe thunderstorm with two tornadoes shook Starfy out of his home into the ocean. Later, Grandfather Rob encountered Starfy, and told him about the Magic Jar and Ogura, while he helped Starfy get back home, by making him do some swimming lessons, as well as giving directions. While Starfy was heading back home, he encountered some people he didn't know before, such as Kyorosuke, and decided to help them with their problems, like finding their missing items, defeating enemies, and so on, until Starfy and his friends fought and brought back Ogura into the Magic Jar to restore peace.

That's the plot to starfy 1 not the new one which doesn't feature Ogura at all.

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
what? the last one will be localised? where can i preorder!?
wub.gif

i love this series. great to see it's coming to westerners at long last.

they should also port and translate the gba ones, they are even better - i'd buy them for sure

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first two games were great but you NEED a guide to finish them. Wasn't into the 3rd one much but it was better than the 4th game on DS. Not played the last one much, I was going to but will wait for the English release.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended