Hacking XBMC on Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

ganons

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I was googling xbmc powerpc and came up across this http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32974&page=8
If you look at post 75 by topfs2, he wrote

Basically, I tried the libraries on Wii once again.

SDL - Verified working on atleast a basic level. Bliting a surface on another

GL2GX - Can't get it to work, just exceptions to hell. Without this the endevour to port it will be a big one, not impossible ofc but then I don't think the time taken is worth the gain.

If anyone steps up and fix GL2GX and make it work proper then the possibillity of a port is higher.

If anyone have it working but it needs quirks don't be afraid to PM me or just post here

So I guess some people from here who know there stuff about the wii can give them a shout. And me, well i cant code
rolleyes.gif

Aslo a new member of their team, Benjie ported it to Linux so I guess it can come to the wii?

ANd please dont flame me and tell me to do it myself coz I cant code

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
I would be inclined to agree with what the top post said:

QUOTE said:
The Wii GPU is slower then the old XBOX GPU?? That's hard to believe.
I'd love to see a new and modern console being able to run XBMC. But the effort should go to a console that is capable of HD output for it to have any future.

Maybe someone can write a OpenGL emulator for the XBOX 360? (probably not...)

It would be pretty pointless to port XBMC to the Wii, what with the advent of HD it definitely needs to be something that can output through HDMI. An XBOX360 or PS3 port would be more appropriate.

penetr8or

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, a WMC would be nice.. Very nice, actually..
I don't believe it would be as large a part of the scene as it is for Xbox, where it's basically the best dashboard in existance.

But a good, functional media center for wii.. Now that would be sweet
biggrin.gif

Streaming video from smb shares or online sources... Using the less noisy console of all times..
What could possibly be better?

Well, if it would be able to launch games aswell, then it would be perfect.. A new SM replacement with plugin support and.. well, and everything you would ever want
biggrin.gif

Xeijin said:
I would be inclined to agree with what the top post said:

QUOTE said:
The Wii GPU is slower then the old XBOX GPU?? That's hard to believe.
I'd love to see a new and modern console being able to run XBMC. But the effort should go to a console that is capable of HD output for it to have any future.

Maybe someone can write a OpenGL emulator for the XBOX 360? (probably not...)

It would be pretty pointless to port XBMC to the Wii, what with the advent of HD it definitely needs to be something that can output through HDMI. An XBOX360 or PS3 port would be more appropriate.
Well not everyone cares about HD..
And I'd think it would be more pointless to have this on a console where you have to turn your speakers to maximum to hear anything..
Did you try comparing the noise from a wii and an X360?

And don't forget.. Streaming video in HD over the net is not something everyone does on a daily basis... The TV stations around here, offering web streaming, have a hard enough time delivering less-than-SD quality streams to a few hundred people at a time.

demon33

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
in XBMC i have the option for 480p so what's the big deal ? Sure it's not 1080 but the wii is not 1080 n-e-way so??.... Am-i missing something here (I don't talk about my english)

gloscherrybomb

Trophies
XP
Country
What is it that would make it difficult? They are already porting it to the PPC arc. If a few decent developers knuckled down I dont think they'd be too much to it. It's not an entire new system so I think the HD issue is a minor one. The form factor of the wii is a massive reason why this needs to be done!

drmarvin

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I agree with the positive answers. If we can work XBMC into being a new SM (maybe because of BootMii....?) I would readily replace the current SM. It wasn't my dash of choice on XBox just because others in the house didn't like it (UnleashX was simpler) but I used it for so many other things. We currently stream downloaded TV with the XBox360, which is fine, but I'd love to be able to stream shoutcast again. If they can get game launching and such to work, it would be the greatest SM replacement, I think.

Just my 2 cents

wiiman123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
I don't see it ever coming to the Wii. Just buy a used original xbox and set it up or install it on your PC. Or just build your self a PC (linux) dedicated/standalone to XBMC with all necessary peripherals

matriculated

Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
Canada
I still think the Wii is a worthy port. Sure, it doesn't do HD but the Wii is pretty small; attach a small LCD screen (like those ones for the PS1) and it's great for road trips.

phrozenfeonix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
drmarvin said:
...We currently stream downloaded TV with the XBox360...
o.0 what? You mean you view your downloaded tv with it? Streaming means you aren't storing any content aside from possibly a cache...

drmarvin

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
phrozenfeonix said:
drmarvin said:
...We currently stream downloaded TV with the XBox360...
o.0 what? You mean you view your downloaded tv with it? Streaming means you aren't storing any content aside from possibly a cache...

You can stream video downloaded to your computer over your network to the 360, just like with XBMC, but being about to do that with a Wii would be great.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
That was is my hope when BootMii was released, and also before it was released...since I saw a Video of a Theme for XBMC, I only wanted it, NOW!!! I realy hope they'll do that for the Wii...I personaly think the other Consoles (XBOX360 & PS3) can wait, they already have a good Media Player...the Wii hasn't...

I realy hope so badly that this will happen
frown.gif
...and maybe even a Full Port? I would love it, it looks so nice and is so stable...would even pay for this...I'll keep hoping for this...

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Xeijin said:
An XBOX360 or PS3 port would be more appropriate.
X360's security makes homebrew unfeasible on it and the PS3's RSX hypervisor kills most of the homebrew capabilities on it (I'm not counting any of those fake exploits, but just the embedded "Install Linux" functionality).

The Wii's the best console for homebrew right now.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
ganons said:
so im reading now at this stage, bootmii is no help
No, right now, I don't think so, yes...IF I got it right, MINI has currently no Drivers/Libraries (Mote, USB, Wi-Fi, etc...), right? I'm not shure about this, I'm probably totaly wrong...but if this is true, it's currently pretty useless...
frown.gif
. I'll keep praying for this....

roku93

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Currently the best way helping XBMC for Wii is improving the GL2GX. If you would have read the very text you linked in the first post of this thread you would know that.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, MPlayer is pretty decent already.
If they keep working on upgrading and fixing it at the same pace I don't see a need for a new media player like XBMC.

ganons

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
roku93 said:
Currently the best way helping XBMC for Wii is improving the GL2GX. If you would have read the very text you linked in the first post of this thread you would know that.

i was reffering to the text that i linked in the 1st page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol