Homebrew Moonshell 2.03 & YSMenu on Acekard 2i using AKAIO

Let me (& others) know how good this guide was (please post where you found it confusing)

• Yes - it was perfect. Fully understood it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - some of it was useful

• No - It was confusing (please post what you found confusing)

• Total voters

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Bad news I'm afraid - My AK2i packed up on me (& not because of this...) so I am unable to help solve any problems you may have with the guide (I'm now an owner of a m3i0) - I suggest you post a thread for any problem & hope someone else can help.... Sorry !!!
QUOTE said:
WARNING: It's been brought to my attention that in SOME cases using YSMenu on an Ak2i can 'brick' the AK2i & prevent it from running on an Dsi.I cannot be held responsible for any damage that may occur (YSmenu was originally developed for the DSTT flashcard & not for Acekards)
If you are not happy on running the risk of damaging your Acekard then I suggest you stick with either the offical Ak2 or AKAIO firmware
UPDATE: 25-07-09 I can confirm this also works with Moonshell 2.05 stable

QUOTE said:
If you want to use the offical AK2i firmware - please use the Moonshell 2.03 & YSMenu on Acekard 2i with SDHC support guide insteadFirst you need to download ALL these files
=> YSMenu (needed for ROM loading): http://home.usay.jp/pc/etc/nds/ - Scroll down until you see 'DS(T_T)DS' & click on the top link in the scroll box
=> Moonshell 2.03 stable: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=6450
=> linoul's YSloader for MoonShell 2 (needed to allow Moonshell to load ROMS): http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=5030
=> DLDI windows GUI patcher: http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/downl...l-win32-gui.zip
=> Acekard Firmware v4.17 (needed for SDHC support): http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=5917
=> AKAIO v1.4.1 firmware: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=5802
=> DSTT firmware (to remove 'missing fonts' errors on YSMenu) : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4476
=> Cheats Database USRCHEAT.DAT (to remove 'Cheats missing' error on YSMenu): http://cheats.gbatemp.net/

To set up Moonshell 2
1) Extract from AKAIO firmware v1.4.1 download 'akmenu4.nds' and '__AIO' folder onto the root directory of your AK2i
2) Create a folder on your PC desktop - call it anything perhaps something like 'DLDIpatching'
3) Extract the 'DLDItool-win32-gui.zip' files into this new folder
4) Extract 'ak2_sd.dldi' file from the 'Acekard v4.17' firmware to this same folder
5) Extract all files from the Moonshell 2.03 download somewhere onto your PC
6) Copy the "moonshl2" directory and "MoonShel2_Directboot.nds" from this folder onto the root of the AK2i.
-> These are the only real required files to get MoonShell 2 to work. Of course, you can extract the others for more features.
7) DLDI-patch "MoonShel2_Directboot.nds" with the Win32GUI program using the 'Acekard 2' DLDI file.
-> Instructions to use Win32GUI can be found Here
QUOTE said:
QUOTE said:
8) You will need to run the 'LanguageSelect.exe" program in the Moonshell2 folder file to select your chosen language
9) Extract the "nds.YSloaderForMS2.nds" and "config.ini" files from linoul's package to the '/moonshl2/extlink ' folder on your AK2i.
10) Delete the file 'logbuf.txt' from '/moonshl2/' folder - Don't ask me why. if you don't Moonshell locks up for some reason

Now to set up YSMenu
1) Create a folder called 'ysmenu' on your desktop.
2) Extract the files from the YSMenu archive into the 'ysmenu' folder you just made.
3) Copy 'akmenu4.nds' from the Acekard v4.17 firmware download into the 'ysmenu' folder. This is to allow SDHC capability
4) Run "akextract.exe". This will produce "akloader.nds".
5) Create a 'ysmenu' directory at the root of the AK2i.
6) Move the recently created 'akloader.nds' into the 'ysmenu' directory on your card.
7) Copy 'YSMenu.ini' and 'YSMenu.nds' to the same 'ysmenu' folder on the flashcard
8) DLDI patch 'YSMenu.nds' on the AK2i using the same Win32GUI tool that you used on Moonshell above
9) You will also need to change the language used in YSmenu. To do so edit the 'YSmenu.ini' file on the AK2i so that
Code:
LITERALS=LITERAL_JPN
;LITERALS=LITERAL_ENG
is changed toCODE
;LITERALS=LITERAL_JPN
LITERALS=LITERAL_ENG
10) From the DSTT firmware download: Copy 'system.fon', 'system.l2u', 'system.u2l' and 'system.ank' into the '/ysmenu/' folder on the Ak2i
11) From the Cheat Database download: Copy the 'USRCHEAT.DAT' also into the '/ysmenu/' folder on the AK2i

Nearly there
1) 'Safely remove' your memory card from your PC, Insert into the Ak2i & put into your DS(i)
2) Switch on & boot into the firmware
3) Press [Start], select 'System Options' Then press Right paddle button until you get to 'Default Patch options'
4) Change 'Autorun' to 'Enabled' & Press [A] Twice to save settings
5) Browse to 'Moonshell_directboot.nds' & run it
6) Hopefully it should start. Alter your options as you like them.
7) Now browse to a commercial ROM & Press [A] to start

Because you changed firmware 'autorun' to 'enabled' - next time you switch on it will load the firmware and then automatically load Moonshell

Proof that it works

Note: IF you already have an Ak2i SAV file (usually it ends in '.nds.sav' this WILL NOT BE USED for the game and Moonshell/YSMenu will create a new SAV file.
To use your existing AK2i sav's, backup your AK2i 'gamename.nds.sav' to your PC (for safety) & rename it to 'gamename.sav'

If you DO happen to have a problem - when you post, can you please give as much detail of your setup combination
[e.g. DSi + Moonshell 2.03 + YSmenu (latest) + Acekard 2i (with 4.15 firmware) + 4Gb Kingston SDHC card]
so that I may see if I can try & replicated the fault myself - thanks

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Da-Bomb1 said:
Does this have any problems with an AK2i? I heard that ysmenu can brick a 2i's ability to boot in a DSi.
If you look at the video - you see I've had no problem with YSMenu 'bricking' the DSi.
If you also look at my 'full length' video you'll see that there's no problem with YSmenu - even when I soft reset.

The only time YSMenu is used (in this particular setup) is when you launch a ROM (& even then it uses part of the AK2i firmware to launch it) & is not used for the initial DSi booting (that's done by AKAIO or Ak2i firmware) - so the only 'real' risk of damage would be to the ROM.

I can tell you I've been using Moonshell/YSmenu for 'launching' ROMS for around 2 months now & have had no problems on either my Ak2i or my main card - the DSTTi (Admittedly I've only been doing the Ak2i for a couple of weeks). Before this I was using YSmenu as my main 'firmware' on the DSTTi as a replacement & also had no problems.

If you were booting into YSMenu straight away (I don't think that's even possible on an ak2i) then yes I guess there could be a risk of damaging the flashcard.

Any chance you can remember where you 'heard' about YSMenu damaging the Ak2i ?? - unless the damage is to Ak2i 'clones' (if such a thing exists), then you could damage the clone even with official Ak2i firmware

EDIT: nvm - I think I've found the thread you were talking about @ http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=141...p;#entry1837764, it seems as though the person was using a Jap DSi & also had YSmenu as the default firmware. It's possible he hadn't patched it or something like that & that's why it got damaged (without more details I couldn't say what he did wrong).

If you look at http://gbatemp.net/index.php?act=ST&f=177&t=149734 however you'll see other people have tried YSmenu on other cards without any 'bricking' effect - it is a risk, but if you're not happy with the risk - stick to the ak2i or AKAIO firmware instead

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah, thanks. Still...I like the features that come with AKAIO.
tongue.gif
It also looks like it'll take a little too long to boot for my tastes.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
ysmenu has no protections in place to secure the bootloader. it can easily overwrite parts of it thus corrupting the ability to boot on a dsi. the official ak firmware and akaio have protections coded into them to prevent this.

it seems like there is nothing in this guide that is pc/hardware specific to your system. why not just upload and host an already configured setup that people can dl and run?

also, you should either ask to get this stickied in the acekard section or combine all the files with a guide and upload it to the download center in "other useful tools."

-another world

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Another World said:
ysmenu has no protections in place to secure the bootloader. it can easily overwrite parts of it thus corrupting the ability to boot on a dsi. the official ak firmware and akaio have protections coded into them to prevent this.

it seems like there is nothing in this guide that is pc/hardware specific to your system. why not just upload and host an already configured setup that people can dl and run?

-another world
Thanks for the info about YSMenu - I didn't know that !!
- although if we're only YSmenu to load ROMS then as I said earlier only the ROMS is at risk ?? - it's when you use YSMenu as a replacement firmware then you'll have risk of damaging the Flashcard - or have I got the totally wrong idea

As for the 'already configures setup' - nice idea except for ... You guessed it 'YSMenu'. I suppose I could have everything BUT YSmenu in a single file - I'll think about that

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Hmm - Looking at the poll (even though only 3 people have voted) it seems that this guide is confusing &/OR it didn't work -
Whoever voted that - couldn't they've of explained what the problem was in the post & I could've helped them
unsure.gif

zephyral_13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hey cannonfodr.

your guide is very good, your instructions are very clear
lecture.gif

i'm using 2.04 moonshell - 2gb Micro sd (not SDHC) - AK2i - Nintendo DSi

just dropping by to say thanks

keep up the good work

-zeph

yaynds.gif

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
CannonFoddr said:
- although if we're only YSmenu to load ROMS then as I said earlier only the ROMS is at risk ?? - it's when you use YSMenu as a replacement firmware then you'll have risk of damaging the Flashcard - or have I got the totally wrong idea

smiths once bricked an ak2i's dsi bootloader by running a rom through the official loaders before those loaders had a protection scheme coded into them. this is the reason the ak2 external loader feature is blocked on akaio while running on the 2i. does that answer your question?

i've read about things from game crashes to msd seat issues which have corrupted/bricked the dsi bootloader on the ak2i. it appears to be an easy thing to break. the reason for my post is FYI to everyone who wants to try your guide and run ysmenu on the ak2i.

it will work, it should work, but it won't forever. each time you use it you risk killing that kit.

your guide is not confusing at all. people don't post back because the majority of people don't want to engage in anything. i experience it every time i ask for help with news posting. i recently asked the community to give me ideas for the "did ya' know fridays." it has been over a week and not 1 person has PM'ed me. this is the nature of the hobby. so don't be put off by that. learn cool stuff, write guides, host files for everyone, and be happy that you did so. don't judge your accomplishments on the lack of response.

i spent close to 4 months writing the nesds compatibility list. i did it for myself so that i could have a set of *working* roms on my msd. i only posted it so that others would get use out of it. as it stands i can count on one hand the amount of pms i've received about it since it was posted. on that same hand i can count the amount of feedbacks =P.

-another world

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh, lol, is that why the external loader for moonshell 2 doesn't work on my DS then?

Oh yeah, speaking of the DSi, is there any easy way to detect if someone's running a DS or not, and disable features in AKAIO accordingly? I mean, it is kinda strange the way it still thinks you have a slot-2 on a DSi.

...kinda off topic though.
tongue.gif

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Da-Bomb1 said:
Oh, lol, is that why the external loader for moonshell 2 doesn't work on my DS then?

Oh yeah, speaking of the DSi, is there any easy way to detect if someone's running a DS or not, and disable features in AKAIO accordingly? I mean, it is kinda strange the way it still thinks you have a slot-2 on a DSi.

...kinda off topic though.
tongue.gif

external loader for moonshell2? i'm taking about the "ak2loader" folder in the _aio folder. its for putting the official akmenu4.nds file so that you can use the official loaders in akaio.

norm said he found a way to detect if you are on the dsi or not. finally =). so i expect stuff like that slot-2 issue to be fixed?

-another world

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
BoxShot said:
@CannonFoddr Would you mind and stop posting your vids to auto start
Am I ? - I didn't know (in my browser [opera] I have a Flash blocker so it doesn't start until I click on it ) - I'll have to check. Thanks for pointing it out

UPDATE: OK I've found out why - the website I use to disable Youtube 'extras' like 'Run on FullScreen' / 'Show Related Videos' / 'Border' etc automatically selects 'autoplay' which I didn't realise - I'll have to remember in future to disable that

@AnotherWorld: Once again thanks for the info. I've added a warning to the start of both my posts relating the fact about YSmenu
Oh & about the comment about the poll... I was just commenting about the fact that I have asked (on the poll) if anyone had problems/got confused etc to post what - just so that I could help out, or modify the post to try & make it clearer

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another World said:
external loader for moonshell2? i'm taking about the "ak2loader" folder in the _aio folder. its for putting the official akmenu4.nds file so that you can use the official loaders in akaio.

norm said he found a way to detect if you are on the dsi or not. finally =). so i expect stuff like that slot-2 issue to be fixed?

-another world
Okay, haha, sorry, wasn't quite sure what an external loader was. Guess this'll be another feature in ever-so-mysterious and elusive 1.5?
tongue.gif

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
andres347 said:
but... if I use the "moonshell2 loader for AK vo.1" it can brick my acekard 2i (so the DSi don't recognize it?)
Erm... I'm not sure. The only 'Ak Moonshell loader' that I know of was developed ONLY for Ak2 card & therefore will not even work on an Ak2i
The 'bricking' effect warning I've put in the 1st post is IF you use YSMenu on an Acekard you run the risk of 'bricking' the AK.
YSMenu was developed as an alternative firmware for a DSTT (Just like AKAIO was developed as an alternative for AK's) & although it does work on an AK - there's no 'protection' & so there's a risk that something will go wrong

Pendor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Da-Bomb1 said:
Another World said:

-another world
Okay, haha, sorry, wasn't quite sure what an external loader was. Guess this'll be another feature in ever-so-mysterious and elusive 1.5?
tongue.gif

The external loader feature has been in AKAIO since 1.2.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1