Hacking Did I just brick my wii? 4.2u

cayspekko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I modded my wii, using bootmii and making a backup. I even had preloader installed. and used the safe updater http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=184057 to 4.2u.

I stupidly (accidentally) ran the wii system update. Funny thing though after the fact homebrew ran fine and everything looked okay until I tried to run USB Loader GX and couldn't get it to run, plus a bunch of other loaders just wouldn't load. So I figured the update must have screwed things up

No worries cause I followed http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901 simplistic mod (everything except the bannerbomb part since, hey, I've already got Homebrew Channel working...stupid...stupid...stupid...) and got everything up and going and I decided I would run the preloader as the last step.

After that happened my wii said the system files were corrupt... crap.

Luckily I'm able to get into preloader, but thinking I knew what I was doing, decided to install System Menu-NUS-v449 using wad installer

Big mistake huh? because now preloader won't load and I'm just getting a dead wii. I can't get Boot-Mii working either... Nintendo's 4.2 updater screwed that up too didn't it? Didin't it?

So... I'm pretty much screwed aren't I? I can't get into bootmii or preloader. I do have my nand.bin will that help me at all?

Please say there's hope.

cayspekko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was on boot2, but was reading in www.wiibrew.org that system update 4.2 replaces boot2 with boot2v4.

I used a Bootmii configure program to change it so that my wii boot up automatically to the system menu, I tried editing the bootmii.ini and commenting out the autoload feilds, but bootmii still won't load up.

Is there any other way to force it to load?

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cayspekko said:
It was on boot2, but was reading in www.wiibrew.org that system update 4.2 replaces boot2 with boot2v4.

I used a Bootmii configure program to change it so that my wii boot up automatically to the system menu, I tried editing the bootmii.ini and commenting out the autoload feilds, but bootmii still won't load up.

your removed bootmii by updating,
removed preloader by reinstalling the system menu.

=

brick.

btw the lack of running the hackmii installer via bannerbomb it was led you to this brick.
if you wouldve ran it then you could have installed bootmii again.

cayspekko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xzxero said:
cayspekko said:

your removed bootmii by updating,
removed preloader by reinstalling the system menu.

=

brick.

btw the lack of running the hackmii installer via bannerbomb it was led you to this brick.
if you wouldve ran it then you could have installed bootmii again.

Yeah... pretty much kicking myself right now.

*stupid stupid stupid stupid*

WHY!!!!!

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's Dead...

Sorry Man...

Here's an explanation of what happened:
You did an official update to 4.2U. 4.2U runs under IOS70, instead of IOS60, which is what 4.1U ran under. Since Nintendo decided that IOS60 was no longer needed, they turned IOS60 into a stub (a stub IOS just sits there and does nothing), in order to stop people from downgrading their System Menu, and to free up a little space (stubs are a lot smaller than real IOS).

The official update installed System Menu 4.2U, along with all of the latest IOS, including the stubs (of which the newest IOS60 (v6400) is one of them).

Preloader makes itself part of the System Menu, so when you reinstall the System Menu (no matter what version), preloader gets wiped.

When you installed System Menu 4.1U (v449), you wiped preloader, and System Menu 4.1U runs under IOS60. Your IOS60 is a useless stub, so it loaded to a blackscreen.

The Official System Menu 4.2 update also wipes bootmii boot2 (if you have bootmii boot2 installed).

So, long story short:
Official System Menu 4.2 Update wiped ALL of your recovery options, and installed stubs to IOSes that are not used by 4.2. So when 4.1U was installed, it loaded up the useless stub IOS, blackscreening.

shorter story:
Your wii has absolutely no recovery options, and is running under a useless stub.

Again, sorry man...
frown.gif

There is nothing homebrew can do to fix this.

The only way to fix it is to send it in to Nintendo, make them fix it, and pay the repair fee...

I ended up killing a wii in a similar situation earlier this year (downgraded to a stub without recovery options installed), so you're not the only one.

Off topic:
I haven't told anyone this, but accidentally killing that wii I just mentioned was the reason I made cIOSCORP v3.x in the first place.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@da_letter_a : VERY good explanation of what had happened here. Now if everyone read this first, perhaps people will get a better grasp on what to do and what NOT to do.

Back to the original poster:

Are you still under warranty? You'll have to contact Nintendo and set up a repair. You're problem at the very beginning was not really a problem at all. Your USB Loader GX would not work because the nintendo update added a stub to IOS249. All you would have had to do would be to run TBR MOD, get trucha in, use ATD and remove IOS249, then reinstall cIOSrev14.

cayspekko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
da_letter_a said:
Again, sorry man...
frown.gif

There is nothing homebrew can do to fix this.

Thanks for breaking it to me gently. Ah well, at least Wii's are down in price. I was looking at a forum about a DIY nand programmer, but it seems out of my scope...

I wonder how much a bricked wii goes for on ebay...

cayspekko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
Are you still under warranty? You'll have to contact Nintendo and set up a repair. You're problem at the very beginning was not really a problem at all. Your USB Loader GX would not work because the nintendo update added a stub to IOS249. All you would have had to do would be to run TBR MOD, get trucha in, use ATD and remove IOS249, then reinstall cIOSrev14.

I'm WAY out of warranty... WAIT... maybe I'm not, I think I got a two year warranty from game stop, I'll have to look into that. Good idea.

Yeah, I should have just thought about it longer instead of jumped into re-doing everything *kick kick kick* I did try reinstalling cIOSrev14, but for some reason when it loaded I couldn't use the wii-mote, and so I couldn't get it working until after I redid the first part of the simplistic mod instructions. again... why why why....(am I so stupid?)

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cayspekko said:
zektor said:

I'm WAY out of warranty... WAIT... maybe I'm not, I think I got a two year warranty from game stop, I'll have to look into that. Good idea.

Yeah, I should have just thought about it longer instead of jumped into re-doing everything *kick kick kick* I did try reinstalling cIOSrev14, but for some reason when it loaded I couldn't use the wii-mote, and so I couldn't get it working until after I redid the first part of the simplistic mod instructions. again... why why why....(am I so stupid?)
its better to pay the $85 or so nintendo will charge you to fix your wii.
youll get another year of warranty so if anuthing like this happenes to happen again, youll be safe.

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
HellFireXS said:
You said you used the safe updater and the ninetndo update, does Nintendo still offer the update even after the safe update?

I´m wondering the same... when I was on 4.1, I thought lets try the update function(4.1 has been the latest) I clicked it and it says an update is availiable but when I started it it ended saying that I am already on the latest FW... so I dont get it why it would update again on 4.2...

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
cayspekko said:
zektor said:

Just tell Nintendo that your Wii bricked furing the latest update. They shouldn't have a way to tell if that is true and they promised to fix all Wiis that got bricked that way for free, wether they are still under warrenty or not.
wink.gif

G0dLiKe said:
QUOTE(HellFireXS @ Oct 9 2009, 10:47 AM)
You said you used the safe updater and the ninetndo update, does Nintendo still offer the update even after the safe update?

I´m wondering the same... when I was on 4.1, I thought lets try the update function(4.1 has been the latest) I clicked it and it says an update is availiable but when I started it it ended saying that I am already on the latest FW... so I dont get it why it would update again on 4.2...
Ofcourse. The save updaters don't update boot2 and if you had an old system menus a few IOSs are left out, too. Nintendos updates update every item individually. So if you did the save updater, an official update will still update your boot2 afterwards.
wink.gif

Arendo

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
also, 4.2 has a later version of the IOSes 222, 223 and 249, so those are stubbed... and I bet the safe updater doesn't update a few other IOSes, like IOS60 etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: