♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why this hasnt been made yet, but we need a list of apps that now lead to bricks by downloading a
stub IOS60
which removes your system menu and preloader if you have it.
These are mostly online updaters.
I don't know them all, but i read about a few on here.
You guys can help me create a full list so the community can be aware.
If you have any of the apps below stored on your sd card or something, erase it and let people know!
Ok so let's start.

Waninkoko's Firmware updater 4.0
Waninkoko's Firmware updater 4.1
[^only if you don't have an installed and functional IOS60^]
WiiSCU .21 [.22 works fine]
IOS60/61 Installer /Patcher

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad you guys mentioned this. I'd left Wanky's 4.1 updater on a guide I maintain elsewhere, but it seems like no one tried using it before I could take it down. So far no one's been bricked by following it and I'm not about to break my track record.

xzxero

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ndpndnt16 said:
we could try to gather testers and confirm if its not a banner brick app
?
banner bricks have to with WAD installations.

online updaters have absolutely nothing to do with channels.

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
We´ve been talkin bout this earlier in a thread. Good one.

EDIT: Ahm, about WiiSCU... I used it 5 or 6 days ago on a 4.1 Wii to just update all channels and it wasnt bricked... FYI

xzxero

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
G0dLiKe said:
i know me and Lothlorian and seen many brick cases because of these apps recently

Posts merged

QUOTE(G0dLiKe @ Oct 16 2009, 09:24 AM) EDIT: Ahm, about WiiSCU... I used it 5 or 6 days ago on a 4.1 Wii to just update all channels and it wasnt bricked... FYI
you must used .22 then.
it was updated a while back.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is it really Nintendo's intention to cause bricks or is that just a side-effect of using an unoffical updater?
And what if you use dop-ios or nusd to download old ios files? will they be stubs too?

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kedest said:
Is it really Nintendo's intention to cause bricks or is that just a side-effect of using an unoffical updater?
And what if you use dop-ios or nusd to download old ios files? will they be stubs too?
It's a side effect of using updaters that don't have proper sanity checks on what they're doing. It's the coder's fault if it blindly grabs the latest IOS instead of what's known to work, not Nintendo's.

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
xzxero said:
G0dLiKe said:
i know me and Lothlorian and seen many brick cases because of these apps recently

Posts merged

QUOTE(G0dLiKe @ Oct 16 2009, 09:24 AM) EDIT: Ahm, about WiiSCU... I used it 5 or 6 days ago on a 4.1 Wii to just update all channels and it wasnt bricked... FYI
you must used .22 then.
it was updated a while back.

Possibly. It was the one Wacko released, I was wondering because the readme still says 0.21(just downloaded the 0.22 again to check and yes it says 0.21).

Edit: Checked the .xml it says .22

xzxero

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kedest said:
im pretty sure its a side effect.

dop-ios and NUSD let you choose what version of the IOS you want installed.

v6400 is the stub version
v6174 is the original working version.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
WiiSCU 0.21 and WiiSCU 0.22 are identical in every way EXCEPT v0.22 will not download the latest version if IOS60 (which is a stub), and this will only brick you if you are on 4.0 or 4.1, and don't have bootmii as boot2 (I'm pretty sure it will even brick u if u have preloader)

So if you have WiiSCU 0.21, it is safe to use AS LONG AS you don't update IOS60.

EDIT: on a personal note, I happened to be modding a virgin 4.0 wii ONE day after the 4.2 update and I hadn't heard about it... wiiscu 0.21 bricked me... piece of shit (no offense intended, app kicks ass, just pisses me off I bricked a friends wii)

xzxero

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xflak40 said:
WiiSCU 0.21 and WiiSCU 0.22 are identical in every way EXCEPT v0.22 will not download the latest version if IOS60 (which is a stub), and this will only brick you if you are on 4.0 or 4.1, and don't have bootmii as boot2 (I'm pretty sure it will even brick u if u have preloader)

So if you have WiiSCU 0.21, it is safe to use AS LONG AS you don't update IOS60.
yea but theres a huge risk of brick with the touch a button.
thats a no go in my book.

lechon3x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ios 60/61 patcher definetly. I bricked my wii last week because of it. Good thing I bought it six days before and was able to return it for a new one. On my new one, I used a combination of xzxero's and devyil's guide, even used wanin's updaters to go from 3.4u to 4.0u and then 4.1u and the only problem I had was the sistem files corrupted everytime I reintalled preloader. Changing the ios in the preloader settings fixed that. I guess I was lucky using wanin's updaters, they didn't brick me.

xzxero

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lechon3x said:
Ios 60/61 patcher definetly. I bricked my wii last week because of it. Good thing I bought it six days before and was able to return it for a new one. On my new one, I used a combination of xzxero's and devyil's guide, even used wanin's updaters to go from 3.4u to 4.0u and then 4.1u and the only problem I had was the sistem files corrupted everytime I reintalled preloader. Changing the ios in the preloader settings fixed that. I guess I was lucky using wanin's updaters, they didn't brick me.
you mistve got realll lucky then guy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.