OP
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
Hello,

I'm surprised no one made this thread before me. Anyway, in this thread, I'll try to explain how to avoid most of the DRE errors and how to save your Wii lens from the death
biggrin.gif

This post will be divided in three parts : The drive, the media and the software/configuration part which will be the most important

As I'm French, my english is very poor so please contact me if you see any errors
wink.gif

The drive

Burning a Wii media with an old drive is an error. Even if your computer can read your burned media perfectly, it doesn't mean your media is perfectly burned. A computer can read a lot of media, even the crappiest, but the Wii is very picky and you could damage your Wii by using an old drive.

If you have to change your DVD recorder, it appears that the Pioneer DVR-115D is a very good DVD recorder.

Also, you can improve the burning quality by flashing your drive with a newer firmware ( see www.cdfreaks.com for more information )

Remember : The Wii drive IS NOT your computer. It hasn't be made to read burned media and a bad burn could damage it.

The media

All the media aren't of the same quality. You can use crappy medias for your computer (Premium, Datawrite ...) as it doesn't really matter, but NOT with your Wii. The quality of the media mostly depends of its mediacode ( you can see the mediacode of your DVD-R with ImgBurn for example but a lot of tools can show it ).

Do not buy cheap medias if you want to improve your rate of successful burns. Good medias are : Tayo Yuden, Sony, Verbatim, Phillips ... I'm personally using some Memorex with a RITEK dye and they work like a charm.

It appears that DVD-R works better than DVD+R but I don't have any DVD+R so it'd be difficult for me to prove this information. Anyway, DVD-R works great so just buy some and you shouldn't have any problems.

As homesickalien explained on page 3, using paper labels on your disc can result in various errors / DRE. Never use paper labels for your Wii media. Using special discs, like Verbatim AZO may lower your chance of getting a successful burn : Wii isn't made to read them, just to read standard DVD-R.

The software / configuration

First of all, DO NOT think that burning your media at low speeds improves the burning quality. In some case, burning at low speed makes a lot of PI / PO errors, as I showed in another thread. On my configuration, burning at 16x gives better result than burning at 2x.

Does it mean that burning at high speed is better than burning at low speed ? NO, I don't want to be contradictory but it all depends of your configuration. You have to test yourself to check what's the better burning speed for YOUR configuration.

The quality of a burn can be tested with some tools, like DVDInfoPro (Google
tongue.gif
) It's ease of use : Launch DVDinfopro, click on Pi Po, make sure PIE Scale and PIF scale are on Auto Peak, select MAX then click on start to check how much PI / PO you have.

If DVDInfoPro inform you that your drive isn't suitable for checking Pi Po errors, destroy it (your drive, not DVDinfopro)

There is three types of errors :

PI : Those errors are common and it doesn't really matter except if you have a lot of these.
PIF : Those errors are more important, it could result in DRE errors if you have a lot of these but you can have some without having any DRE problems.
POF : Those errors are deadly. It will cause DRE errors. If you have one, just one POF error, your media is dead.

Anyway, the Quality rating evaluates the quality of your burn. For the Wii :

A rating of 100% is perfect but I don't think it's possible
tongue.gif

A rating of 90% or more is great but could be improved (95-97% for example).
A rating of 80% is poor but will work with the Wii
A rating of 70% is really poor, it could work with the Wii but don't use it, it could kill your Wii lens.
Less than 70%, it could work too but it will kill your Wii lens.

I used myself some discs with a quality rating of 0% (yeah, 0%) and they worked great. It proves that your burned software can work without DRE even if it's a bad burn. But the Wii lens might die because of using bad burns.

74gsc14b.png

A comparaison between two No More Heroes burns. Graph 1 is the burn at 2x, Graph 2 is the burn at 16x

The software you use affects the quality rating you'll have. A lot of people reported that burning with Nero gives a lot of DRE errors. In my opinion, the best burning software for Wii ISOs is ImgBurn.

I'll add more contents in the future
wink.gif

jelbo

Ōkami!
Trophies
Website
cursors.pocketheaven.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the info. I did read some things that confuse me. I've been told ages ago by numerous sources that burning media on lower speeds cause fewer errors.

Also, I'm not sure about the whole 'damage your Wii lens' thing. Can you back those claims up?

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
OP
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
jelbo said:
Thanks for the info. I did read some things that confuse me. I've been told ages ago by numerous sources that burning media on lower speeds cause fewer errors.

Also, I'm not sure about the whole 'damage your Wii lens' thing. Can you back those claims up?

QUOTE(thebobevil @ Apr 23 2008, 08:32 AM) ImgBurn at 4x will burn any Wii ISO pefectly well.

Could you read my thread please ?
frown.gif

ImgBurn at 4x will give me a crappy DVD with a lot of PI/PO. And another thing, have you tested your media with DVDInfoPro ? I was surprised when I tested mine and I saw its quality was 0%. I never had any DRE but I had a crappy media.

I'm not telling you that burning at very high speed will always give you a great quality, but it has been proved many times that you have to make some tests to find the better speed/media combo. There isn't perfect combo, and a burn that give no DRE errors doesn't mean the quality of your disc is good.

A bad burn will make your Wii lens work harder and it may degrade it. It hasn't been really proved but it would be stupid to kill your Wii lens just because you didn't want to check your Wii discs, heh ?

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Firstly, Different settings work for different people.

Seondly, I dislike this "killing lens" talk. The lens is a piece of glass, right?

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
OP
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
arctic_flame said:
Seondly, I dislike this "killing lens" talk. The lens is a piece of glass, right?
It appears that people that are using modchips has more problems with their drive than people that doesn't use modchips. A burned media is cheap quality instead of an original which is pressed and has almost 0 PI/PO

Rice923

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Imgburn like many others, but I have a slight issue with it. Sometimes when I burn an image with Imgburn, my computer mysteriously has a folder of smilies or something of the sort. How do I stop this problem?

spirited

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ouch... burning 16x on TDK dvd-r nets me over 1 million PI :/ and only a 74% rating. 4x on TDK dvd-r nets me over 3 million PI :[ bleh i might need a new dvd burner.. but this samsung burner is only like 3 months old

edit: i just tried a 4x TDK dvd-r burnt at my friends house with a different burner, about the same problem as the 16x burn from my house. so I guess that's partly burner and partly the fact that my TDK disks are bad?

imation dvd+r burnt at 16x on yet a different burner gives me only 1 million PI and 163k PIF 72% rating

argh

edit 2: i ran out to buy some verbatim dvd-r, i've come to the conclusion that many of you have. i will only buy verbatim from now on. 16x burn with 98% quality rating weee

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Shuny said:
I'm personally using some Memorex which works great.

you just made your faq void already, memorex is low grade media http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

QUOTE said:
It appears that DVD-R works better than DVD+R. I don't have any DVD+R so I can't test.

wrong again, 90% of my Wii discs are on dvd+r and work fine even many months after.

On my configuration, burning at 16x gives better result than burning at 2x.

unless you DO want to damage your Wii drive burning that high will accelerate it further, also the Wii drive MAX read speed is 6x not 16x, and it's also recommended to burn at half of the speed that is advertised on the blank media.

also everyone has different dvd burners firmwares OS and so on so what may work for you may be completely different for someone else, making a guide that you think works may not work for others.

Barta

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
jalaneme said:
unless you DO want to damage your Wii drive burning that high will accelerate it further, also the Wii drive MAX read speed is 6x not 16x

I don't think that the Wii's read speed has anything to do with the write speed.
And I also don't understand how a dvd can damage your wii! The laser lens isn't touching the dvd.
wacko.gif

I use Taiyo Yuden DVD's and still got DRE's, so I'm thinking of buying a new write.
We're all in favorit of the pioneer?

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Barta said:
jalaneme said:
unless you DO want to damage your Wii drive burning that high will accelerate it further, also the Wii drive MAX read speed is 6x not 16x

I don't think that the Wii's read speed has anything to do with the write speed.
And I also don't understand how a dvd can damage your wii! The laser lens isn't touching the dvd.
wacko.gif

I use Taiyo Yuden DVD's and still got DRE's, so I'm thinking of buying a new write.

I thought Taiyo Yuden's DVDs were the best of the best...

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Nin10doFan said:
Barta said:
jalaneme said:

wacko.gif

Which is why he wants a new burner. And the Pioneer is the best.

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
arctic_flame said:
Nin10doFan said:
Barta said:
jalaneme said:

wacko.gif

Which is why he wants a new burner. And the Pioneer is the best.

I have Samsung, how should that do?

minos55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Hy not 1 of my 3 drives in my pcs support pi/po testing, could enybody tell me what kind of drive I could get so i could test them, and that it would be a sata drive would be good i have no ide room anymore. And how can somebody know which drives support testing and which don't before buying?

PigVenus

Trophies
XP
Country
You should always keep in mind that every manufacturer (of discs) has different production runs. Some runs are better than others. Also, even the really good manufactures can have bad runs, although this is much less likely for the more reputable brands (Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, etc).

I have even got DVD-RWs to work in my Wii, but only temporarily (they would usually DRE within several minutes - just enough time to make sure that the backup at least boots successfully).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu