xboxinoz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I really felt like playing through Super Mario Bros 3 and thought I'd do so on my GB Micro however I discovered that, when I went to play it on my EZ IV, I get a save game corruption error in both the U and EU versions.

Looking back at the release forums when this first came out I can see it was an issue back then and there is some mention of a patch but one old link didn't work and I things seem a bit hazy.

Can anyone advise what patch I need to apply to get this game to save without the corruption error and possibly point me in the right direction of the patch?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I thought this was actually about the game, but all the same I have a question. Why is the game called Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3?

Its Super Mario for GBA but it includes a port of SMB3 or is it JUST a remake of SMB3?

beautifulbeast

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I heard that some Nintendo GBA games including Super Mario Bros. 3 need to be trimmed as well as patched for the saves to worl due to some special kind of protection.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The game needs to be save patched with the EZ4 Client. If you SRAM patch it with GBATA you will get the corrupt save error every time the game starts (the save will still work though). If you don't patch it at all you will get the same error and you won't be able to save.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Destructobot said:
The game needs to be save patched with the EZ4 Client. If you SRAM patch it with GBATA you will get the corrupt save error every time the game starts (the save will still work though). If you don't patch it at all you will get the same error and you won't be able to save.
Patching it with the EZ4 Client didn't work for me, and I'm using an EZ Flash IV...

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I take it you ran the game at least twice without changing the save file? The first time you run the game it will always give you that error because the save data is blank, but it should work after that.

If you have an EZ-IV Lite Deluxe and a slot 1 cart in a DS you could try running the clean rom with GBA ExpLoader.

If it isn't saving at all you could just patch it with GBATA and deal with the error message. That should at least get the save working.

dexmix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minox_IX said:
Destructobot said:
Patching it with the EZ4 Client didn't work for me, and I'm using an EZ Flash IV...

patching works fine for me. I use the RESET loader, and the latest EZ4Client to patch.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
dexmix said:
Minox_IX said:
Destructobot said:

patching works fine for me. I use the RESET loader, and the latest EZ4Client to patch.
I'll try to repatch it now.

Delirious17

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The screen still shakes after I GBATA sram patch it and even file size trim it! The save works fine on VBA and even my Dingoo...I'm using M3DS Real and EZ Flash 5 on DS Lite.

Fiesty Panda

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gizmo_gal said:
I thought this was actually about the game, but all the same I have a question. Why is the game called Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3?

Its Super Mario for GBA but it includes a port of SMB3 or is it JUST a remake of SMB3?
The game is a remake of Super Mario Bros. 3. Nintendo's line of GBA remakes are called Super Mario Advance series. This is the fourth in their series of remakes.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having the same issue. I've tried 1.0 and 1.1, loaded both into the EZ4 client, as I have an EZ4 "phat" (so I can put it in my real SP). Every time I start any of the super mario advance (and keep in mind, the save patch option has always been checked on), it always starts me from scratch when I load up the game.
frown.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are you using 8:3 naming?; the EZ4 seems to have a problem with a handful games when loading the save back up if the name is longer than 8 characters of which the super mario games are known examples.

8:3 naming if you missed the DOS era are names with up to 8 characters for the name of the file and 3 for the extension.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome