spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
For those who are interested in an alternative menu/os for flash carts, I am remaking DSision.
It should work on any card and provides a nice looking interface, rather than a plain text list of files.
If anyone has seen the old version (http://spinal.dizidesigns.co.uk/dsision.php), then new version has a few improvements.

- Improvements over last version -
Works on R4DS [so far]
Larger, higher resolution, higher color depth icons
Custom icons per file/folder
GBA support through EZ 3-in-1
[Potential] Commercial game support on some cards (TTDS, AceKard, R4DS)
EZ 3-in-1 RAM unlocking for OperaDS

Sorry, there are no screenshots yet, it doesn't run properly in emu.

Is anyone interested in using this?

You can now download DSision2 from here.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If it would support commercial rom-loading with Acekard 2, then yes.

I liked your previous version, but the only reason why I didn't use it was due to the lack of rom-loading.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd be interested in trying it out on an Acekard 2. What do you mean by "potential?" Does it run commercial ROMs on any carts yet?

I haven't seen the previous version of your menu, but several people on various forums have been interested in a menu system that can be set up in such a way as to be more "kid-friendly." That would potentially mean the ability to lock out changes to settings and a mode to display all of the ROMs in one long list instead of with sub-folders. In other words, make it do only one thing -- present a list of games/homebrew and run whatever is clicked on.

If you were interested in adding those features (as well as making it run commercial ROMs if it doesn't) it seem like your menu could potentially be very useful for people with smaller kids.

-Bri

thr33face

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, please continue persuing this application.

i liked the gui and idea behind the first one, but because it didn't exactly work (lockups, homebrew boot problems, etc.) i couldn't exactly use it.

so: go for it
smile.gif

Mei-o

Generic Asian Kid™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If I can still run my ROMS then sure, I support this project, aaannndd can you add a skin selection feature? TTDS users know how time consuming it is to change the skin, copying from the comp vs multi skin selection on the DS itself.

jabjab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as said above - most use these cards for roms so to get most interest thats what you need to support.

thr33face

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spinal_cord said:
Problems? what card do you use?

i used a R4 and whatever the latest firmware was when the original dsision was released.

if i recall correctly, the animanatee icon was displayed as random pixel garbage and that would sometimes lock dsision up.
also i couldn't always get it to boot hombrew. i don't remember correctly which apps caused it, but sometimes they would boot and sometimes not.

sorry i can't be a big help here.

Dunny

Trophies
XP
Country
Looking forward to this - tried DSision 1 on my DS today. Looks lovely, especially with the clock (really missed the clock from the firmware when I added in the R4).

Couple of things - I'd love it to load commercial ROMs, and GBA ROMs using the 3-in-1. Dunno how possible that is, but it would be excellent.

Also, could you remove folders from the list which have their hidden attribute set? I set app-specific folders to hidden to make the R4 menu smaller and easier to navigate, but as there's about 30 folders, scrolling through the list in DSision is quite a chore
frown.gif

Cheers,

D.

Sephi

fool
Trophies
Website
nov.us.to
XP
Country
United States
I remember trying the old version on my R4, only problem was that it didn't list alphabetically and some icons were messed up, and it didn't boot anything.

New version sounds good though.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
OK guys, first some sad news....

Some time over the last few days, DSision2 lost the ability to load anything. I don't remember doing anything specifically to cause this, but it happened. I can not find the problem in the code, so i'm starting over (don't worry, i do this all the time, DSision1 had about 6 start-overs before its release).

Good news, before it became useless, the following features were working fine, so they will appear in the next redo -

16bit backgrounds on both screens
256 colour 64x64 icons with the ability for custom icons for both folders and files
homebrew loading on any chishm supported card (assumed)
commercial loading on R4DS, TTDS/DSTT, Acekard
GBA support through EZ 3-in-1
RAM unlocking for OpreaDS
- some other features, not 100% working so i wont mention them

It was my default menu on TTDS until i killed it
frown.gif

I think spinal media player will make it to the finished menu, it will need a few tweaks, but it wont be a problem. It isn't anywhere as good as dpg or xvid though.

If anyone has any aides, stick them here and i might give them a try.

Dunny

Trophies
XP
Country
Excellent - I really hope you get this finished before Pandora comes out (I'm getting rid of the DS when it does!)

D.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended