Hacking should i buy a ds lite or a new psp?

triple-sevenz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^ what it said up there. i dont have a ds lite but im borrowing a friends ds phat and i also own a m3ds real with the hacked sakura fw. my question is should i buy a ds for my own. my friend doenst play his ds anymore and i can pretty much keep it til whenever although i dont wanna take advantage of him and is planning on returning the ds to him. im hesitating to buy a ds because it might be a waste of money when a new model comes out. i dunno why but i have the worst luck with video game consoles and handhelds (hmm when was the ds lite released...). with no job and a low allowance, i usually get the systems after 2-3 of its release date. and by doing so, i realized that i have bought another dying console. like the gamecube i bought that and few months later the wii was announced. i dont wanna waste my money on my ds just to see a new nintendo handheld released. also im in a desperate need of a new psp. my old psp has custom firmware stuff and all but the anaglog stick is permanently broken and thanks to the stupid screws, i cant open it to fix it (which is why its permanently broken). i saved enough money to get either a ds or a psp (slim/lite or phat i dont care). which one should i get? btw anyone kno if there are any hints at a new handheld for nintendo? also if this is in the wrong section, go ahead and move it. i think i put it in the right section. cant tell cause i just spend the last 3 days without any sleep lol.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Find out next week if Nintendo will be launching a new DS soon at E3. If they do announce it though I only see it launching during November of 2009. So if you want a console for only a year go ahead...thats if Ninty says anything Tuesday.

Sp33der

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
lol posting this in a NDS section XD

well yea wait for the E3 if nintendo reveals a new ds(i hope not >.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Whichever one sparks your interest most.

There's a lot of supporting reasons to get the DS, as well as the PSP.

Personally, looking at your post, I'd get the DS.
They're cheaper to pirate, the scene isn't as slow as the PSP scene is, has a larger selection of games (since, according to you, you don't get video games very often), and you'll have a friend to play multiplay games with.
yaynds.gif

Cheater388

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JPH said:
Whichever one sparks your interest most.

There's a lot of supporting reasons to get the DS, as well as the PSP.

Personally, looking at your post, I'd get the DS.
They're cheaper to pirate, the scene isn't as slow as the PSP scene is, has a larger selection of games (since, according to you, you don't get video games very often), and you'll have a friend to play multiplay games with.
yaynds.gif

Ummm.... yeah... I never thought anyone would be so blunt about it.

There are also better points for the PSP: it plays movies at full quality at ~700x400 resolutuon; it can also play original playstation games; it's propriatory memory stick advances faster than the microSD (they will get the 16gb stick before we get out 16gb microSD here); and don't forget FINAL FANTASY VII CRISIS CORE!!!

But if you already have the freeking card, man, just get your own DS. Usually people actually buy the DS first
grog.gif

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
JPH ~ i saw 2 of these guys at some party i went to and they were facing each other in some naruto game on their PSP
ph34r.gif
blink.gif
do you think they had
the same game or did they have the same game then they connected with each other !?

go with the DS first but like most people said wait for nintendo to announce if they will be releasing a new DS first . and since you already own the M3 Real
then might as well get a DS xD . But while you wait ... just do some research on the features of the DS and PSP . Read bpth to see which one you prefer !

JBates

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if your friend doesn't use his ds, maybe you can buy it from him for fairly cheap. then you could also save for a psp faster if you want both!
plus i think having the flash cart already is a strong reason to go with ds.

triple-sevenz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea pretty much. i also posted it on a psp site. just for fun? lol. i would wait for e3 but the problem is that i live in the countryside and i can only go to the "city" once like 2 months (another reason why i cant buy games often). im going to the "city" this sunday so i need to make my decision by then. surprisingly most of the people on the psp site said to get teh ds too (weird). i guess ill get the ds. which color do yall suggest?

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well getting a new PSP right now, especially with your situation, might end up with you getting a PSP that you can't flash with a custom firmware, making it a bad buy for you. However, if you have access to a pandora's battery, and you buy a series-1000 (phat) PSP, then disregard that.

Anyway, there's two things to consider - the types of games for each, and your ability to play them. Take a look at the upcoming games for both systems, and make a tally as to how many you'd actually consider buying / obtaining. At the moment, the PSP is in kind of a rut for people outside of Japan, as new releases are few in number (compared to the DS, at least), but that may change next year. The DS has a plethora of games coming out by the end of the year, and there'll be more on the way next year. However, if you're not a fan of RPGs, first-party Nintendo games, and some odd-ball titles, then the DS might not matter to you.

As for ability to play games, remember that the ability to play new PSP games on custom firmwares is totally dependent on the CFW teams. If by some tragedy they stopped making new firmwares to keep up with Sony, then any games after that would be out of your reach. However, with the DS, flash cart teams generally stay on top of things to ensure that recent releases are playable.

Anyway, since you already have a PSP, albeit broken, I'd recommend a DS. You can get the PSP repaired by sending it in to Sony (even if you have to pay, it should be cheaper than buying a new one). Also, you could get a phat DS on the cheap if you look around online. That way, you can have both a working DS and a working PSP, and your friend can have his DS back.

Also, consider that the DS is going very strong right now, so the most that'll happen is that Nintendo MIGHT announce yet another redesign, but a new handheld that plays a different type of media is highly unlikely.

triple-sevenz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im ok with the slims. i know pretty much all i kno about psp hacking. ive downgraded 5 phats and 3 slims with my pandora so im ok with it. i dont think i can get sony to repair it cause i voided the warranty and i also have a custom faceplate installed. i like a lot of ds games. right now im addicted to trauma center under the knife (gotta beat 1 before playing 2). what is the newest ds lite model that has the least problems?

thrallking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, go with the DS Lite. You can easily find someone that can open your PSP (I had the same problem, just get a dremel or pay for someone to repair it), and the Slim only has a little more ram and cannot support any homebrew designed for 1.5 that can run under any of the M33 CFWs.

The Lite on the otherhand is a great revamp, though going second-hand/refurbished is not necesarilly a bad thing. They are cheaper, and you can get one sooner than if you saved up your allowance for one. When I had to save my allowance, I became a big fan of refurb and DIY repairs.

triple-sevenz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unfortunately i dont kno anyone who can open my psp. serioulsy though, wat color ds is the best? also, my cousin stopped by target and bought some screen protectors. it said HORI on the right corner of the package. what is the HORI and is it good or bad? should i get one?

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
triple ~ as i know the current colours for DS are : White, Black, Pink, Cobablt/Black, Crimson/Black, Silver/Black ( with guitar hero on-tour )
and yea . I don't think they sell the limited edition ones like : Gold Zelda PHG, Metallic Pink Nintendogs asnd yea that's basically it .

corect if i'm wrong though

and about the HORI , so far i have read awesome reviews for Hori products but be aware there are also fake HORI products too !

- Holt

PS . about the best colour DS ... WHITE for me ^^ simple and simple

thrallking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am ever the tinkerer, so my ds lite is going to look like this at some point:
asp_441.jpg

I did the same thing with my psp.

How many screws are stripped? I could talk you through removing them if need be.

triple-sevenz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
two of my screws are stripped. the worst part is that its the two screws taht are on the right side on the back of the psp where u cant really see the screw. the ones under neath the battery are fine but the two on the right side are stripped. also what does the nintendo warranty cover? im buying mine at best buy. should i get their extended warranty? if so, does anyone know about how much they charge for warranty? and lastly i heard taht the whites ones crack easily or something or the hinges break easier than the newer colors. is this true? and would target sell fake hori products?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Boo I thought that was a rejection comment