Hardware Can the switch screw up tablets?

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
For me, tablets as a standalone thing make no real sense.

My experience with 3 Android models (2 of which have USB OTG & USB Mass Storage mode):

* less than $100
* at least double the battery life of my laptop (have fun finding a laptop that actually matches it, let alone costs this little)
* around 300 grams
* no vents, no fan, no risk of blocking vents (so no risk of overheating in bed or other soft furnishings, unlike most laptops & unlike the Switch)
* 7 to 8-inch screen - the perfect size for me. Fits basically anywhere except the jeans pocket, yet without being too small for a good web, photos, videos & docs experience
* USB OTG, so if I want to use a standard wired keyboard & mouse I can, plus I can read & write USB sticks without restriction (with a simple USB OTG adapter or hub available from $1-$3 on ebay). Unlike iPads with heavily restricted file types and file naming conventions and no full read-write access to external storage
* MicroSD slot, unlike iPads
* IPS display with pixel density higher than any laptop I have used, even if it's not the last word in resolution
* can protect it while in-use with a case, unlike a laptop
* 2 cameras (typical laptop only has one), even if they are crappy, they are perfectly fine to document the basics
* GPS and several free apps with offline maps (ideal for travel)
* barcode scanner apps, document scanning apps, etc.
* tablets don't make you look like a 'serious worker' or a dork when using public wifi & are a thousand times more convenient to pull out (with far less battery life problems)
* I can buy a travel case to keep it with me on my shoulder or around my neck, unlike a laptop
* I can charge over USB battery bank or USB wall plug-in which is several times smaller than a fat laptop power brick & fat AC cable
* countless apps

...and so on and so on.

To me, tablets are easily one of the most useful devices available to buy today. They are the perfect go-between for people that find phones too small & laptops too big for out-and-about use, but still want a decent web / photos / docs / video and typing experience. Because Nintendo has absolutely no financial incentive to go after this market, it won't happen. Tablets are available in so many price-ponts and so many sizes & capabilities that they now satisfy just about everyone's desires. For the rest, there are phones and laptops.

Nintendo has nothing to offer but leverage the unique strengths of the Switch, in my opinion. Of course they know this. If they don't, they have a death wish. Anything else would be a complete waste of time & money.

Last edited by foob,

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My experience with 3 Android models (2 of which have USB OTG & USB Mass Storage mode):

* less than $100
* at least double the battery life of my laptop (have fun finding a laptop that actually matches it, let alone costs this little)
* around 300 grams
* no vents, no fan, no risk of blocking vents (so no risk of overheating in bed or other soft furnishings)
* 7 to 8-inch screen - the perfect size for me. Fits basically anywhere except the jeans pocket, yet without being too small for a good web, photos, videos & docs experience
* USB OTG, so if I want to use a standard wired keyboard & mouse I can, plus I can read & write USB sticks without restriction (with a simple USB OTG adapter or hub available from $1-$3 on ebay). Unlike iPads with heavily restricted file types and file naming conventions and no full read-write access to external storage
* IPS display with pixel density higher than any laptop I have used, even if it's not the last word in resolution
* 2 cameras (typical laptop only has one), even if they are crappy, they are perfectly fine to document the basics
* tablets don't make you look like a 'serious worker' or a dork when using public wifi & are a thousand times more convenient to pull out (with far less battery life problems)
* I can buy a travel case to keep it with me on my shoulder or around my neck, unlike a laptop
* I can charge over USB battery bank or USB wall plug-in which is several times smaller than a fat laptop power brick & fat AC cable

...and so on and so on.

To me, tablets are easily one of the most useful devices available to buy today. They are the perfect go-between for people that find phones too small & laptops too big for out-and-about use, but still want a decent web / photos / docs / video and typing experience. Because Nintendo has absolutely no financial incentive to go after this market, it won't happen. Tablets are available in so many price-ponts and so many sizes & capabilities that they now satisfy just about everyone's desires. For the rest, there are phones and laptops.

Nintendo has nothing to offer but leverage the unique strengths of the Switch, in my opinion. Of course they know this. If they don't, they have a death wish. Anything else would be a complete waste of time & money.
But they will affect gaming tablets negatively, will they not? Not all tablets are designed for work.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
But they will affect gaming tablets negatively, will they not? Not all tablets are designed for work.

Good point. I don't know.

Probably some in this niche will be swayed to Nintendo land. Or maybe not. There are still a lot of variables and everyone is diffrerent. Switch doesn't look like the typical tablet & probably won't have games priced like the typical tablet either. Lots of unanswered questions. Meanwhile, my nieces and nephews don't seem too bothered by the gaming perfromance of low-end tablets & love to have access to all of their apps on the same device.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

* less than $100
* around 300 grams
* no vents, no fan, no risk of blocking vents (so no risk of overheating in bed or other soft furnishings, unlike most laptops & unlike the Switch)
* countless apps

...and so on and so on.

Nothing that you listed makes me crazy about tablets and again I got a free iPad, I should definitely be a guy praising them, and I just can't, my iPad just collects dust, everything it can do can be accomplished by all my other devices that I'm more inclined to use and carry sound with me. Again to me, tablets make no real sense, to others it might, but I'd never be able to justify actually buying one.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

3DS emulator.
CEMU.

I don't think Nintendo can produce a powerful enough device that takes more then 10 years to emulate a bit.

So why did you say give it 10 years before we can play Breath of the Wild on a tablet? I'm just working with your projection here.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Everybody posting in this thread, the switch can't screw tablets because they have a different target.
Look, tablets have been selling quite well since a long time, people that like them, like them for several reasons (not particularly serious gaming tbh) for a long time, let's call them the A customers.
So, in the other hand people that want to play games seriously like perhaps @duffman don't seem very interested in tablets and would prefer a switch, let's call this people B customers.
So, even with the Switch out there customer A and customer B want different things, and customer A will still get a tablet. So...
Whyyyyy?
/thread

PS: they're different fucking markets for the sake of God think and stop making useless threads.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Everybody posting in this thread, the switch can't screw tablets because they have a different target.
Look, tablets have been selling quite well since a long time, people that like them, like them for several reasons (not particularly serious gaming tbh) for a long time, let's call them the A customers.
So, in the other hand people that want to play games seriously like perhaps @duffman don't seem very interested in tablets and would prefer a switch, let's call this people B customers.
So, even with the Switch out there customer A and customer B want different things, and customer A will still get a tablet. So...
But in that sense Tablet is slowly moving to work-focused areas where Microsoft lead a huge set of windows 10 tablet, and some bit of Android and Ipad pro. Those won't sell like hot cakes like ipad used to.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But in that sense Tablet is slowly moving to work-focused areas where Microsoft lead a huge set of windows 10 tablet, and some bit of Android and Ipad pro. Those won't sell like hot cakes like ipad used to.

Exactly, and if I were interested in getting a new tablet, I'd be far more interested in the tablet/laptop hybrids like the Microsoft Surface. I guess I don't represent the average consumer per se, but I do think i represent the typical consumer that has a nice smart phone, a PC, and various gaming consoles and handhelds. A tablet for someone like me is really gonna be a tough sell.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Nothing that you listed makes me crazy about tablets and again I got a free iPad said:
Nothing that you listed makes me crazy about tablets and again I got a free iPad, I should definitely be a guy praising them

I get your point, even though I find Apple's iDevices supremely restrictive and expensive. So I don't think you should necessarily be praising them, even if you got one free. I also find the standard-sized models too big & heavy to carry with me on foot.

So I'm guessing you must be satsified with:
* smaller screen of a phone (compared to a tablet)
* larger weight and hassle of a laptop (compared to a phone or tablet)
* or you use some other device I'm not aware of

A Plus Ric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This post is backwards. As console sales reports overall have shown that Tablets have screwed up Console sales. Less consoles being bought as more buy tablets. Especially with emulation pretty good on them (or RPI for that too). So it's appears from numbers, most pick one console now, as opposed to two or even three, and a tablet or pi. So really if anything......tabletso are destroying gaming consoles. And as battery life grows more, Tablets will flourish more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Sorry you're not good with Windows Sylvester. lol
    Because co-pilot doesnt even show up on my pc. Not in the taskbar, not in the start menu search, and the option in settings to turn it on and off in the taskbar is not even displayed.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Well, I complain about Microsoft all the time. You seem to enjoy it, no offense. If you like using Windows, that's fine by me.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Everything is my own opinions.
    Liking Windows or not is an opinion. Yes.
    Being able to disable copilot is not an opinion. lol. its a fact that it can be disabled.
    Yet you just laugh about it when I tell you, like Im lying
    People can dislike Windows all they want. But I will call out the over-exaggerations, misconceptions, half truths, and lies about it.
    +2
    Tired of the entire "BUT BUT BUT WINDOWZ SPYWARE!!!" thing too, when the same people give out tons of their personal info to plenty of other companies but say nothing about it.
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Companies do the exact same thing with other companies as well, so it's not just Microsoft. There are 3rd-parties like 'data brokers'.
    I'm 52 years old and one of my jobs in life was marketing research. Im well aware. I've been online for around 30 years. Everyone and their grandmother already has my personal information. One more having my email address isn't ruining my life or even effecting me in any way whatsoever.
    +1
    In fact. I freely give info. Stuff like gasoline apps, to save $, grocery apps, lots of cash back from rakuten, etc. etc.
    +1
    $300 back last year from Rakuten for allowing them to track my purchase. I'll take the money for them to know I bought a bunch of stuff for my cat and some video games. lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No matter what you sign up for your info is out there
    +1
    Thats what im saying
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Exactly.
    And for people to say things like "But I use all fake info". No, they don't. lol. They use fake info for all of their banking and online shopping? Fake shipping address, fake payment info? lol
    Fake name, address and payment info for internet service, etc? lol. Ill say it again. Everyone freaks out about OMG WINDOWS!! But crickets on anything else they do.
    Other windows stuff people complain about hypocritically too. Like "But but but Windows bundle junk apps!!!!" Yeah?? So do many Linux distributions. Dont like it? Use one without them. Same with windows. Either find a pre-made version without the bundled stuff, or very easily make your own installer with what you want and do not want.
    +1
  • console @ console:
    I agree with all above! Microsoft made a biggest mess with us and everyone! I wish Microsoft company should be fired then lost it. LOL :rofl2:
    +1
    I dont like the stuff added either. I have zero use for copilot or recall. But I also just simply disable it and move on.
    +1
    Always disabled dumb cortana from day 1 too.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    When you're a billion dollar company even upper management is just peons to the company
    +1
    MS is funny. Insider programs for both Windows and Xbox, where they listen to absolutely none of the insider feedback and just do what the fuck they want. lolol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Xbox idea to make midrange consoles saved them this Gen and buying your wife
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Xbox idea to make midrange consoles saved them this Gen and buying your wife