blawar

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this SX OS only? I can't manually input the code, nor find such options of R1/R2 on the (rather large) list.

Update to the latest version.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I cant because my switch is the patched version
thats why i am asking someone else to test it, like I said if someone boots linux then the chip itself shouldnt be region locked.
If I had an unpatched switch I could attempt to test higher network ranges but from what I can see the switch isnt utilizing it

I am currently though changing my router region so its actually GB to see if I can connect to these bands

155, 159, 163, 167, 172

edit changing region wont let my router have any bands higher than 140hz lmao thats an F

edit flashed back and its fine.

But yeah I dont see the switch connecting to higher than 140HZ thats the TX1000 limit pretty sure its hardware limited
changing region code should affect it as US consoles also connect to this.

The only region that should benefit is japan only due to its limited networks

You have to change both your device and your router's settings. Since your switch is not hacked, you can not change it.

I believe other people have connected to higher than 140 with the switch.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Japan is probably the best option as they are the only region who use every channel from 1-14 (but 14 is only for 802.11b so the Switch may not use it anyway), Europe and most other places only use 1-13, and US is only 1-11.
Granted this will only affect local adhoc wifi between multiple Switches (not a terribly common scenario), as otherwise the channel is set in your router, and your router will probably not allow you to set higher channels unless you can install dd-wrt or something on it.
I would assume that if a router is using channels 12-14 the Switch will connect to it anyway, and that the setting only affects adhoc, is that not the case?

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Update to the latest version.

You have to change both your device and your router's settings. Since your switch is not hacked, you can not change it.

I believe other people have connected to higher than 140 with the switch.

yes but the switch isnt benefiting from it at least on stock as its RX limited to 173mbps on any channel. that and the chip itself mostly likely isnt designed for the higher network ranges

the chipset is from 2014 thats how old it is, was used in the nexus 6 sure you may be able to connect to a higher network number but it wont utilize it.

I even said the note 9 im using from 2018 is actually being forced to drop its own tx rate way down to switch levels so you are gonna lose bandwidth with other devices for no gain at all.

Like I said before you need to boot Ubuntu to see if it bypasses the console limit

blawar

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Japan is probably the best option as they are the only region who use every channel from 1-14 (but 14 is only for 802.11b so the Switch may not use it anyway), Europe and most other places only use 1-13, and US is only 1-11.
Granted this will only affect local adhoc wifi between multiple Switches (not a terribly common scenario), as otherwise the channel is set in your router, and your router will probably not allow you to set higher channels unless you can install dd-wrt or something on it.

Japan is good for 2.4GHZ, terrible for 5GHZ. 5GHZ is faster.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

yes but the switch isnt benefiting from it at least on stock as its RX limited to 173mbps on any channel. that and the chip itself mostly likely isnt designed for the higher network ranges

the chipset is from 2014 thats how old it is, was used in the nexus 6 sure you may be able to connect to a higher network number but it wont utilize it.

I even said the note 9 im using from 2018 is actually being forced to drop its own tx rate way down to switch levels so you are gonna lose bandwidth with other devices for no gain at all.

Like I said before you need to boot Ubuntu to see if it bypasses the console limit

You miss the point, the point of this is to bypass restrictions placed by countries and using the switch in a region outside where it was designed to be sold. If someone is getting 173mbps over wifi, they are likely not complaining. There is a very large percentage of users who can not get even half of that over WIFi.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Japan is good for 2.4GHZ, terrible for 5GHZ. 5GHZ is faster.

You miss the point, the point of this is to bypass restrictions placed by countries and using the switch in a region outside where it was designed to be sold. If someone is getting 173mbps over wifi, they are likely not complaining. There is a very large percentage of users who can not get even half of that over WIFi.

yeah 173mbps over wifi is what it connects at.
it only hits a peak of 60mpbs under its own tests.

also you miss the point of this entire thread you made which is to see if the switch will hit faster wifi speeds by changing its region

which I pointed out has a hard cap on the console

the main reason japan gets hit so hard is the fact its limited to 34, 38, 42, 46 channels and 200txpower

the switch can and will connect to the higher bands and 1000tx power connection it just isnt utilizing it which comes down to 2 things.

Literally 99% of every other region shouldnt have wifi speed limits according to the ETSI standard

The chip which is rated for 866mpbs is hardware limited or software limited.
The only way we can test if the chip is software limited is by booting into an android/ubuntu on the switch and seeing if the results are the same.

If the speeds are faster then yes its a OS limitation which is speculated purely on the fact ethernet adapters were network limited and worse than wifi chip until the smash release/update came out

blawar

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah 173mbps over wifi is what it connects at.
it only hits a peak of 60mpbs under its own tests.

also you miss the point of this entire thread you made which is to see if the switch will hit faster wifi speeds by changing its region

which I pointed out has a hard cap on the console

the main reason japan gets hit so hard is the fact its limited to 34, 38, 42, 46 channels and 200txpower

the switch can and will connect to the higher bands and 1000tx power connection it just isnt utilizing it which comes down to 2 things.

Literally 99% of every other region shouldnt have wifi speed limits according to the ETSI standard

The chip which is rated for 866mpbs is hardware limited or software limited.
The only way we can test if the chip is software limited is by booting into an android/ubuntu on the switch and seeing if the results are the same.

If the speeds are faster then yes its a OS limitation which is speculated purely on the fact ethernet adapters were network limited and worse than wifi chip until the smash release/update came out

I can hit 15 megabytes per second over wifi on my switch, so I believe your 173mbps figure is an accurate floor. You can ignore the people posting internet speed tests, those do not accurately test wifi speed, they need to be testing local lan transfers, not WAN.

owie40

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant because my switch is the patched version
thats why i am asking someone else to test it, like I said if someone boots linux then the chip itself shouldnt be region locked.
If I had an unpatched switch I could attempt to test higher network ranges but from what I can see the switch isnt utilizing it

I am currently though changing my router region so its actually GB to see if I can connect to these bands

155, 159, 163, 167, 172

edit changing region wont let my router have any bands higher than 140hz lmao thats an F

edit flashed back and its fine.

But yeah I dont see the switch connecting to higher than 140HZ thats the TX1000 limit pretty sure its hardware limited
changing region code should affect it as US consoles also connect to this.

The only region that should benefit is japan only due to its limited networks

I am able to connect to channel 161 5ghz (5805mhz) with my switch, and i confirmed with my phone that it's 80mhz (5735 - 5815mhz). I get 134 mbps transfer speeds copying files over FTP.

Last edited by owie40,

autumns

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there any way do this to an atmosphere mariko switch? incognito doesn't show up as an option in tinfoil on these devices

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since