Gaming Is there such a thing as a dsi external battery charger?

jdogg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought a used DSi XL, but it won't charge. Instead of trying to go in and fix/replace the port, I thought that maybe I could just get a separate charger. I've been looking but can't find anything. Any ideas?

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can buy a broken dsi xl. Sure the screens may be broke, but you can change and charge the battery. You’ll even get a second battery out of it. If you are feeling brave, you can then mix and match the buttons. You can even swap the motherboard later. The dsixl is pretty easy to work in (hardmod excluded).

Last edited by slaphappygamer,
D

Deleted User

I doubt there's such a thing. Isn't it a pain to swap the batteries anyway?
Fixing the port is basically impossible since its soldered to the board.

You could buy a broken DSi like slaphappygamer suggests and charge the battery in it.
Alternatively you could swap out the board (assuming the board is not damaged).

DPyro

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just got a used DSI and one of the pins broke off so I'm waiting to receive a replacement port so I can solder it on. In the meantime I'm using a balance charger and setting it to Li-Ion 1 cell 3.6v and charging it that way.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There is no black magic in charging a 1-cell battery, just supply it the right voltage at a reasonable current limit (the "C" factor you may have heard of - 1/10 C meaning one tenth the mA of the battery's mAh rating being a sane default), it can be done with the generic 4-knob "bench power supplies"

Bonus points if you provide a thermal cutoff in case you got something wrong (or the battery fails at just the wrong time), but it's not a required thing (and I'm not sure if the DSi implements it anyway, the SP/DS/Lite don't)

Last edited by Ryccardo,

DsiXLuser21

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Would my battery blow up or get damaged if I tried taking out the battery and putting it in a external battery charger? I don’t have the charger

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, https://youtu.be/9FcXxqthgUM?feature=shared&t=169