Linus reviews Steam Deck

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's time to get back on the hype train as people start to receive and post about their Steam Decks.

This is one of the "reviews" I was looking forward to as Linus doesn't care about appeasing anyone and is usually brutally honest.

Reactions: Taleweaver and Xzi

sloppycrap

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I'm about to head to the restroom with my Vita in my pocket. That isn't going to happen with my Steam Deck, because I don't have pockets that big. I'll be taking my tackle box instead, which is going to get me some odd looks :P

That said, I'm so looking forward to this machine. The only games I have that I won't be able to play are Vita-exclusives, and I didn't even like Gravity Rush very much, so I'm okay with that.

It's not a portable like anything before it, though, and I understand why it couldn't be Vita-sized. Doesn't mean I don't want a Vita-sized Steam Deck, though. Man, when he held it in one hand and just barely got his fingertips over the top...

This thing is huge.

"inb4theycolaunchhalflife3" lol. That lag on Forza Horizon 5 sounds bad, but I'm getting a 64GB model so I can't install FH5 anyways. I do like my racers though, so I'm hoping that they can do something about that.

Last edited by sloppycrap,

sloppycrap

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
You can install anything you want on an SD card. They even show that there's little difference between the SD and SSD experience in gaming.
Yep, looking forward to that. Not looking forward to using up 100GB on a game though, and the lag this guy described worries me. I bought Burnout Paradise Remastered in preparation for this thing but then saw it required Origin and refunded it. Split/Second looks like it might run well though, and I've played it on my PS3 before, so that should tide me over.

I like solo arcade racers. I have a bootleg copy of Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (*so many* hours on the PSP version on my Vita). I'll buy Ridge Racer: Unbounded because I like to buy games where I can (but I'm not opposed to not buying them where I can't). Like I said, I bought Burnout Paradise through Steam up until I saw you need to use the Origin launcher to run it, so no thanks. I'll just install my bootleg copy. I'd buy Blur, but it isn't there. It's too bad EA seems to own all the arcade racers on Steam, because I don't expect Origin to work.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm pretty much sold. Sounds like the rumble is perhaps the one big downside, but maybe they'll improve it with software/firmware tweaks.

Steam Deck is gonna shred through any and all emulation, probably up to and including RPCS3.

Reactions: subcon959

sloppycrap

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Maybe. I just want the game to run. Not only do I not want to play against other people, I actively dislike achievements and community sharing and all that stuff. If it's just a computer running a Linux distro, it should just be a matter of getting these Windows apps running in a pretty leading-edge revision of Wine (yeah yeah, Proton, whatever). I'd play fighters online, I think, but what is there? Tekken 7? Guilty Gear? Either one looks good, TBH. I'll need a SD card for my Deck though. I wonder how many people play Samurai Shodown III online in RetroArch. Or Rival Schools...

I currently own 12 games on Steam. I own probably 80 or so games on Epic (spent $15 on Untitled Goose Game, the rest were giveaways). I've added non-Steam games to Steam (on Windows) so I can use my bootleg DS3 controllers on Windows. I have not tried Steam on Debian, but I probably should, so I can see what I'm getting into when I get my Steam Deck.

I don't even want to use Steam, honestly. I just want a portable computer with a good controller. Steam Deck is twice as wide as Vita, and Vita is pretty fucking big.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't even want to use Steam, honestly. I just want a portable computer with a good controller.
There's always the option to forget SteamOS and throw Windows on there. Once I get bored of my Steam games I'll probably do that myself. Although, I'm sure the drivers won't be perfect right away.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
There's always the option to forget SteamOS and throw Windows on there. Once I get bored of my Steam games I'll probably do that myself. Although, I'm sure the drivers won't be perfect right away.
Bored of...Steam games? Does not compute. You know Elden Ring releases the same day as Steam Deck, right? :rofl2:

Seriously though, they've included Firefox as a browser in SteamOS 3, so that takes care of most of my other desired uses for it. I'll just use the Linux desktop environment for the rest. I most definitely would not want to lose access to the quick menu which allows you to control clock speeds, core count, and TDP, even though there's probably a Windows program which accomplishes the same thing.

Reactions: subcon959

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bored of...Steam games? Does not compute. You know Elden Ring releases the same day as Steam Deck, right? :rofl2:

Seriously though, they've included Firefox as a browser in SteamOS 3, so that takes care of most of my other desired uses for it. I'll just use the Linux desktop environment for the rest. I most definitely would not want to lose access to the quick menu which allows you to control clock speeds, core count, and TDP, even though there's probably a Windows program which accomplishes the same thing.
I'll probably get Elden Ring for my PS5 :P

I just know that my modding itch will kick in once I'm done playing a few games, so I'm really hoping that we can access some sort of BIOS to allow it to boot from the SD card so there's no need to replace the internal OS.

Reactions: Xzi

Group statistics

Group owner:
subcon959
Members:
Threads:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum