Nintendo DS hoarder
OP
Trophies
Website
randommeaninglesscharacters.com
XP
Country
Canada
I am curious if a disk drive could be modified to read games burned to disk. This is mainly so I can install the home menu disk on my RVT-R.

I figure there's some chance I can swap out the drive for a modded retail one and get that to work.

I do not have the option of buying the home menu disk, so please don't suggest that.

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back in The Day™, there was a way to mod the Wii drive to read burned discs and imports, though I have no idea how much of that actually survived after softmodding became easy for stock consoles. There might be some guides left banging around on old forums (or even here on GBATemp), though I'm pretty sure it requires a mod chip, and I have no idea who's still selling Wii chips, if anyone.

Reactions: rvtr

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have any names of modchips to give somewhere to start looking?

You might be able to find some old clone WiiKey mod chips? But I dimly recall only original Wii's could physically read burned disks. They modified the hardware in later revisions to physically not be able to read recorded disks. I don't think it's possible to mod them to make them able to read burned disks? I could be wrong though.

Reactions: rvtr

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
OP
Trophies
Website
randommeaninglesscharacters.com
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you! This chip might work, though it is a bit pricey. I will look into it.

Also I may have made this thread for nothing... I wanted to boot the home menu on the RVT-R to load some tool for dumping the NAND (wanted to see what goodies might be on there) but I've got a buyer who has RVT-R disks and is willing to burn the home menu and get me the dump. Great news, though now I feel silly for writing this.

Oh well, one way or another I got what I needed.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: You would think, esp using bluetooth, not GPS, like a "your getting hot-er" meter on your phone.