Status
Not open for further replies.
Tutorial  Updated

Turn on a NDS (Lite) without lower or upper screen. (or convert it to a GBA DS)

Edit by moderator :
This thread is locked for plagiarized work.
It's a copy of @nitehack/m3dssimply's work you can find here : https://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_tut...-ds-lite-sin-la-pantalla-superior-mod_1882054

It's not just doing a translation or rewriting, but even stilling the pictures and writing style.

This thread will be reopened if Alex4U comes to me and apologize to @nitehack, its original author, and is willing to properly give credit and specify its source.

So, basically, I was bored. And I decided to investigate someway to turn on the NDS (Lite) without the upper or lower screen.

Basically, the NDS checks if both screens are connected. If the NDS detects there is a ribbon that isn't connected or broken, the DS will just flash and turn off. Typical error with the damn F1 and F2. But this case, is with the lower or upper screen.

So, I was looking the NDS Motherboard, and I followed where is the upper and lower screen PINs.
So, here is the formula:
Nintendo DS (Lite) screen has 4 or 3 (?) Leds for the Backlight. Each one receives 3V, and the mA is 12mA. with a multimeter.
so...
R=(3V*4 Leds)/12mA =1KΩ (resistane)
So, we will use a 1K resistance!

Basically, you can use any resistance HIGHER than 1K, but I didn't tested it. I'd recommend the 1K resistance. Of course don't be so stupid using a 1M resistance.

What do you need:
*Your broken NDS or DS Lite that doesn't work the upper or lower screen.
*A 1K Resistance
*Solderess
*A brain

For the Nintendo DS:

Dissamble your NDS, and the PINs are named LEDC1 and LEDA1 (lower screen), or LEDC2 and LEDA2 (upper screen) The pins are the same on the NDS and DS Lite.
CAM00084.jpg

Get ready to start with your resistance and soldering. If you are asking for the colours, there are. Remember resistances doesn't have polarity at all.
CAM00086.jpg

In my case, my upper screen ribbon is broken, so, I will solder a resistance here. You only need to solder the resistance and that's all, you don't need to do more. It would look like this:
CAM00093.jpg

You can solder some extra cable to put the resistance where you like and don't disturb in the start and select buttons. In my case, I will not.
CAM00091.jpg

So, just test it... and Voilá! It works! of couse, without the upper screen in my case.

NOTE: If you lower screen is broken, you should solder the resistance in these PINs
mod-pa14[1].jpg

This is from the lower screen.

Just assemble it, and it works, of course, without the upper screen or lower or whatever...
CAM00112.jpg
In this case I'd recommend playing GBA or Touch Screen games only. like Pokémon Ranger, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, or some GBA games. same with the upper screen.

For the Nintendo DS Lite:
It's the same process as the DS fat, and the DS Lite motherboard doesn't changes at all.
Dissamble your DS Lite, and search for the LEDC1 and LEDA1 (lower screen), or LEDC2 and LEDA2 (upper screen).
puntos[1].png

In my case, again, I will use the lower screen again as a test. I will simulate my upper screen is broken.
This time, I will use extra cable, since there is the D-PAD and the resistance would disturb the D-PAD.
cables[1].png

Solder it carefully... and solder the resistance.
resistencia[1].png

Now try to turn it on, and Voila! It works now!
sinlcd[1].png

If you're going to turn it on with the upper screen ONLY, you should solder the resistance here:
leda110[1].jpg

Remember resistances doesn't have polarity at all.

So... I was bored again, so, eh. Hopefully this should works for someone.

Last edited by Cyan, , Reason: Added locked reason

nitehack

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nitehack.blogspot.com.es
XP
Country
Spain
@Alex4U
It seems very bad that you say that an investigation that I did 4 years ago you say that you did it. Also, you have limited to summarize the tutorial that I put and you take the photos of my tutorial.
https://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_tut...-ds-lite-sin-la-pantalla-superior-mod_1882054
And Yes, I'm m3dssimply from EOL. (now nitehack)
So please edit your post and name me and tell everyone where you got it. Or I will take action.
Greetings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But can it completely remove RealPlayer? Lol jk
    +3
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember at one point it being pretty much labeled as malware lol
    I think my favorite one was that dancing purple gorilla... I uninstalled that thing from sooo many machine people would be like "Why is my computer so slow?" lol because this thing is using like 30% of your system resources.....
    +1
    This one lady... her son kept installing Kazaa... OK no problem the issue is he would download DBZ movies and they where amazing usually like 2-8KB in size lol can't remember how many times I had to format and reinstall windows over his stupidity. I even explained to him about file sizes multiple times...
    +1
    yeah Bonzi buddy was malware sort of... It was borderline lol
    At minimum it was nothing anyone should have ever installed lol
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, RealPlayer is spyware too.
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Yeah, BonziBuddy was both spyware and ad-ware. It collected children's personal information without consent as well as display fake Windows popups.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast bonzi got discontinued
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, The people who created Bonzi now owns a company called 2KDirect; an advertising firm. https://www.ipromote.com/
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast they get slightly cleaner money
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, hot take
    +2
    So Bonzi buddy was an evil version of Alexa lol
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the legal drinking age here in the US is 21, as some of you may know, but i think either it should be 18 or the age you're an adult should be 21.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and i know what you may be thinking, "why become an adult at 21? doesn't that mean that banging an 18 year old would be illegal?"
    first of all, being in a relationship with someone who's 18 is technically ok, as long as it started when they were 18, but the age gap is still weird depending on how old you are. besides, the age of consent differs between different states
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also my reasoning for adult age being 21 is because the reason that's the drinking (and now smoking) age is because it "gives them more time to think rationally and not drive drunk"
    so you should have that extra time to mature and think rationally before going to serve in the military or vote
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    tl;dr the "adult" age and the legal drinking age (and voting age) here in the US should be the same
    +3
    It's all good no one pays attention to the law anyway lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What about making kids wait till 18 or 21 to drive? And yea is messed up, you can join army and die for your country at age 18, but you can't drink alcohol or smoke a cig til 21, is ridiculous
    +2
    If someone is in the military they should be allowed to smoke and drink at 18.... Would help drive recruitment lol
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: If someone is in the military they should be allowed to smoke and drink at 18.... Would help... +1