Hacking USB Connection Problem Vitashell 1.9

Boron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am unable to connect my Vita to my PC via Vitashell 1.9. When I activate the USB mode in Vitashell and plug in the USB to my computer, nothing comes up. It does not seem to want to recognize that it is plugged in. The USB slots do work as I have tried a few flash drives with them. Any ideas on how to fix it? Is there any sort of driver I need? I may have missed something so any ideas would be helpful.

Last edited by Boron,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afaik, that driver isn't used with vita shell. case and point - on my old laptop, I couldn't connect via usb with qcma. however, I could connect with vita shell. I think it has to do with smb (a window's feature), 'cause I discovered that using smb 1.0 on windows 10 (not recommended which is why it's disabled by default) caused usb to no longer work via qcma. reinstating the feature doesn't work either, so you have to reflash the pc if you have a disk image. I think I found a way around it though, but I can't recall what I did exactly. :)

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you used it for CMA at all? Is it an official Vita cable (or a known working micro USB cable if it is a slim)? Sometimes knockoffs will only have the wiring for charging to save on production costs. I had even an official one crap out on me.

In case you missed a driver install message the first time you plugged the Vita in, press the Windows key + Break the click Device Manager. Look at the list and see if the Vita shows anywhere in the list. If it is, remove it and re-plug it in while VitaShell is in USB mode.

Boron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I should mention that I am using Windows 7. I am using the official Vita cable 1000 version. Is there an easy way to check if the cable has gone bad? I am able to charge with it. I had used CMA a long time ago with my other Vita which I can't find right now. I however was able to find the cable which I am currently using. I am using an official 32 GB memory card if that makes a difference.

I checked in Device Manager and I did not see any mention of the Vita there. Is there something else it could be called? Where should it have been located? I also tried Zadig and it didn't seem to help either.

I forgot to mention in the original post that on the Vita it does say USB connected. It just doesn't show up on the computer is the problem.

Last edited by Boron,

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it was found but not installed (right) it would be listed under Other devices. I assume you have tested all the other USB ports so I would jiggle the cable a bit while unplugging/replugging it on the Vita side to see if it can show any signs of life. Then pick up a new cable as soon as you can. Official cables are pretty hard to find for a decent price and usually require you to buy the charger with them so it might be worth buying a few knockoffs for cheap instead. Just be sure they say data and/or sync.

Boron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was able to find my old Vita and the computer found it when I just plugged it in. The old one isn't modded in any way. It just has an older firmware and I haven't decided what to do with it. At least the cable isn't broken.

This brings me back to the original question, what could be wrong with the one the computer doesn't want to recognize? The problem is somewhere between when I push select during Vitashell being active to start the USB connection and then plug the USB in and the computer not discovering it. On the Vita screen, it does change from the please plug it in text to saying it is connected, while the computer just doesn't want to say it is plugged in.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to find my old Vita and the computer found it when I just plugged it in. The old one isn't modded in any way. It just has an older firmware and I haven't decided what to do with it. At least the cable isn't broken.

This brings me back to the original question, what could be wrong with the one the computer doesn't want to recognize? The problem is somewhere between when I push select during Vitashell being active to start the USB connection and then plug the USB in and the computer not discovering it. On the Vita screen, it does change from the please plug it in text to saying it is connected, while the computer just doesn't want to say it is plugged in.
Im having the same issue ever since I did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. Not only the Vita loses access on the PC so does any 2.0 device like my SD card USB reader. I'm sure its a driver issue, but messing with drivers can potentially force you to reinstall the OS again if things go wrong. Thing is the PC detects it, but its not functional or accessible

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
with something like this, it might be best to create a disk backup.

I think I might've found the cause of this problem. based on my tests, it seems to be related to smb. 1.0 seems to mess up the connectivity. it's also the only version certain things will accept such as mapping a network drive with the 360. it's a feature of windows 10 - reenabling it, I mean. 2.0 is what you want though, so make sure smb 1.0 is checked off. however, again, based on my tests, reenabling it doesn't work. this is where a disk image of before works. you must not have used smb 1.0 at all or else you might encounter this problem. I think smb 1.0 is used by default with windows 7 which is where I had this issue. smb 1.0 has security loopholes which is why it's not used by default with windows 10. I hope this is helpful. I've had this headache before, but I've never had this issue with smb 2.0 and windows 10.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I can definitely confirm my 2.0 micro sd card reader is faulty after putting in 2 different USB sticks into the same drive resulting working devices. I guess it just finally died out
Now on the Vita side of things the culprit causing USB interference was the vita usb streaming plugin. Simply removing udcd_uvc.skprx line from the config.txt file allowed me to transfer files with my vita via usb.
Not that I need it anyway since mine has a capture card hard mod installed I just wanted an alternative to stream gameplay over to the PC. To think I reinstalled Windows over a dead card reader.....:wtf::wacko::blink:

Last edited by MasterJ360,

ChronoReaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia

Have you manage to fix the issue? Because I have the same problem with my PS Vita.

Mindless2831

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone ever fixed this issue?? I've read every article, every reddit post, every gbatemp forum post, literally everything I can find using every wording possible of Google searc. Multiple cables that have been confirmed working don't work. Multiple computers including onces that never had the vita connected. CMA, QCMA, VitaShell, none work over usb. VitaShell sees that usb is connected, windows sees nothing. Enabled smb 2.0 in win 10, nothing. Uninstaller enso and factory reset vita and tried cma before reinstalling everything, nothing. Windows simply does not think the vita exists for any reason. Of course ftp works fine, but you know what I mean. It's not in device manager in any capacity, Windows just simply does not believe I've plugged anything in. I'm at a loss.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Interesting. The macphone +2