Homebrew USB Loader GX - On PAL Wii U, NTSC-U Game Loads Black Screen

itsDeef

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Hi folks - been looking around this forum and various discords before posting this, since I didn't want to double up on a hopefully already solved issue, but sadly I can't find a solution to this, yet.

I've a Homebrew Wii U on Tiramisu, and within the vWii section I am running a handful of games via USB Loader GX. Most if not all of them so far are PAL region, and run without a hitch. However, one game, Doraemon Wii, I cannot find a PAL version of it.. so I thought I would try run the NTSC-J version as I had read elsewhere that there shouldn't be a region issue.

I loaded the wbfs on to my USB HDD via Wii Backup Manager, same as I've done for all my USB Loader GX games, and up it pops on the menu, no problem, I click in and even hear the fanfare of the start screen. I hit start... black screen. Wii U had to be hard reset (unplugged, plugged back in) because it simply would not respond. I tried again, this time changing the settings, in particular video mode, to "Force Pal50" then "Force Pal60" - in the hopes it would be a problem solved, but black screen both times, hard reset needed, both times.

I am a bit scared of doing this over and over as I don't want to brick the Wii U somehow, I know somethings and have gotten this far, but overall I am still very much a newbie, so I was hoping some more experienced folks here might impart their wisdom in helping me fix this, since I would love to play this game so much. Any more information you need from me, just ask, and thanks for your help in advance.

EDIT: Meant NTSC-J not -U! Whoops sorry.

SOLVED: I was forcing the region to PAL since I thought my PAL region Wii U would want that, but I was wrong - I should have been forcing the games region to NTSC, since it's NTSC-J. Did that, launched the game, and now my arm hurts from playing this stupid hilarious game. Hope this helps somebody in the future, cheers!

Last edited by itsDeef,

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
According to the compat wiki only the NTSC-J has been tested and works.

It could be that it won't work or just the iso you have is a bad dump. Try another source and even try the J version.

Reactions: itsDeef

itsDeef

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
According to the compat wiki only the NTSC-J has been tested and works.

It could be that it won't work or just the iso you have is a bad dump. Try another source and even try the J version.
Hey! Thanks for the reply. Sorry I meant the NTSC-J version. I just verified the SHA-1 hash integrity of it on Wii Backup Manager and it seems OK, so I think perhaps there's something wrong in my USB Loader GX settings for that particular game. I'm going to look through gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx-troubleshooting-guide.617564/ as it mentioned screen black outs (found this AFTER posting this thread, figures) but i'm not sorted yet, so will report back on how I get on.
Post automatically merged:

OK - so I feel a bit daft. I am on PAL as I said in Europe, and I was forcing the game to PAL, I just forced it to NTSC and it ran, zero issue. I had thought I had to force it to MY region, maybe that is the case for some games? I don't know, but in this case, forcing it to it's own region (NTSC, or NTSC-J specifically) via the settings on the start page of the game in USB Loader GX, under video mode, is how I got it to run.

I hope that helps somebody else in the future, and thanks to @Lostbhoy for taking the time to reply also, much appreciated.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey! Thanks for the reply. Sorry I meant the NTSC-J version. I just verified the SHA-1 hash integrity of it on Wii Backup Manager and it seems OK, so I think perhaps there's something wrong in my USB Loader GX settings for that particular game. I'm going to look through gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx-troubleshooting-guide.617564/ as it mentioned screen black outs (found this AFTER posting this thread, figures) but i'm not sorted yet, so will report back on how I get on.
Post automatically merged:

OK - so I feel a bit daft. I am on PAL as I said in Europe, and I was forcing the game to PAL, I just forced it to NTSC and it ran, zero issue. I had thought I had to force it to MY region, maybe that is the case for some games? I don't know, but in this case, forcing it to it's own region (NTSC, or NTSC-J specifically) via the settings on the start page of the game in USB Loader GX, under video mode, is how I got it to run.

I hope that helps somebody else in the future, and thanks to @Lostbhoy for taking the time to reply also, much appreciated.
Lol.... It's always the simple things we forget!!

Glad you got it sorted and that info will be helpful to someone else I'm sure. Happy gaming!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1