Hacking Banner/Icon Edit,Save Edit, Manual Edit VC Games

Sperion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Icon and banner edit for virtual console games:
In this tutorial I’m going to explain how to Change the banner and the icon for Virtual Console Games. First you need a couple of things:
- A wad you want to edit
- A new banner+icon picture (Banner pic. Must have a resolution of
256x192px and an icon pic. Must have a
resolution of 128x96px)
- This Tools
- A Common-Key.bin
- A Hex editor (like Ultra edit)

So if you’ve got al these things you can start.

1. First extract al the files from the rar in a folder and place the common-key.bin in it
2. Now place you wad file in the same folder rename in to in.bin and run “WAD Unpacker”
[imghttp://img519.imageshack.us/img519/6033/41295247ve9.jpg[/img]
3. If you did everything correctly you will get a new folder with a few .app files 1.tik, 1.cert, 1.tmd and 1.trailer file.
Now delete the 00000000.app and replace it with the one matching in the 00000000 folder (use the nes file for nes wads the snes for snes wads etc etc) after you put the new 00000000.app in the folder make sure you’ve renamed the name to 00000000.app
4.Start u8extr_v0.2a_eng and unpack the new 00000000.app and the banner.bin and the icon.bin files (banner and icon files are in the 00000000.app file)
37776458nb5.jpg

The 00000000_app_out folder will now look like this:
31911593iz6.jpg

5. Start tplcon_v0.4_eng and press “read tpl” now navigate to your banner_bin_out folder and open VCPic.tpl (banner_bin_out\timg\VCPic.tpl) you will get a message just press yes and you will get this screen:
25610632rp2.jpg

Now press “Read image” and open your new banner image and then press “Save TPL” and replace the VCPic.tpl.
Now to the same for the icon file (Icon_bin_out\timg\ IconVCPic.tpl) when you are done you can close tplcon_v0.4_eng and go to step 6.
6. Now open banner.brlyt in a hex editor (you can find banner.brlyt in 00000000_app_out\Banner_bin_out\blyt) now you need to scroll through the file and edit the year, the players and the game name.
Year:
93780064oo4.jpg

Players:
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/1886/66183233vp4.jpg[img]
Gamename:
[img]http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/2312/43314002vk7.jpg
As you can see when you open the file the year, players and game name are there a few times you need to edit them al and make sure you keep a dot between each character (just like the images)
When you edited the whole file you can save it and close the editor.
7.Start u8pack_v0.07_eng and open the banner.bin file
58795444vf6.jpg

Now press the banner.brlyt file and press add a file now select the edited banner.brylt and press yes on the question
46232819sf9.jpg

Now replace the VCPic.tpl the same way (select, add, press yes)
Mark the Dot before : Firmware U8 Archive w/ MD5 and press Create archv. And replace the old banner.bin.

Do exactly the same for the icon.bin file and after that open 00000000.app
Replace the edited banner.bin and icon.bin the same way as before and mark the dot fore: U8 Archive w/ Banner Info w/ MD5.
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/1490/10wq4.jpg[img]
Insert a Channel name in al the empty spaces [b]AND DO NOT EDIT THE MD5 HASH[/b]
Now press “create archv.” And replace the original 00000000.app.
[/spoiler]

[b]Save Game Image:[/b]
[spoiler]
1.Now that we have a banner and an icon it’s just a little step to change the save game image.
With that in mind extract 00000005.app with u8extr_v0.2a_eng
[img]http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/4951/11xo8.jpg
2. In the extracted map you need to find the save game image.
- For Snes games its banner.tpl
- For N64 games its save_banner.tpl
- For TurboGFX its savedata.tpl

- For Nes its unknown (if someone know please let me know so I can edit the tutorial)
- For Megadrive its unknown (if someone know please let me know so I can edit the tutorial)

Now load the file with tplcon_v0.4_eng and you will see that you have 5diferent icons
12cr5.jpg

Now you need to save the images and edit them with a photo editing program like Photoshop.
After you edited the images just replace them by pressing “read image” and select the new image.
Save the tpl when you are done.
13ho8.jpg

3.After we edited the image we going to put everything back together.
Open u8coes_v0.1_eng and locate the original 00000005.app the folder with the edited file and a location for the new 00000005.app
14vz1.jpg

After U8Coes is finished replace the new 00000005.app with the new one.

4. Now we going to edit the text underneath the image (when you stand on it with your hand on the wii) Open 00000001.app in a hex editor for snes games (don’t know the other ones yet)
And search for the save game name (so if you injected a rom in DKC2 its DK Country 2
15aq4.jpg

Its there twice, just rename it and save it.
16ii3.jpg

Edit the Manual:
The last thing we can edit before repacking the wad is the manual.
To do so you need to extract 00000005.app again. In there, there is a file called emanual.arc. extract that file as well.

The extracted Emanual.arc
17wk2.jpg

Now you can edit all the html files in there, you need to know html though.
When you are ready open emanual.arc with u8pack_v0.07_eng and replace all the files in it.

If you don’t want any manual you can just use the empty manual that you can find in the 00000000 folder.

Now open U8Coes again and repack the 00000005.app again.

Repack the Wad:
After all our hard work it’s finally time to repack the wad.
You need to move all the *.app, *.tmd, *.tik, *.trailer files to the root of your tools folder (where you placed the in.wad)
18wp5.jpg

Now run WAD Packer, this will create an out.wad that you can install on your wii. With custom banner,icon, save game image and manual.
19om2.jpg

Credits
Gally, Pabloppp and Dany – for the investigations
WB3000 – for translating the tools
Deba94 - for the homebrew tutorial
Fission - for making a new sound.bin
Everyone I forget to mention

Tools:
Tools
00000000.app's with sound(v.06used, need to update with the final version though)
Nes
Snes
N64 (thnx to bobitos)
Genesis
MegaDrive
NeoGeo (thnx to sr_corsario)
TurboGFX

Empty Emanual.arc

Sounds.bin (thx to Fission)
Sound.bin Final Ver. 6
(Good version, louder volume, length (5.049), higher bitrate (32000), larger size)
687 KB
http://www.box.net/shared/14bka90kkk

Sound.bin Final Ver. 6a
(Best version, volume (same as original), length (same as original 5.003), bitrate (same as original 22.500), smaller size)
431 KB
http://www.box.net/shared/ni5stv6m8w
Note:
I am not responsible for any bricks.

Todo:
Find the save game images and txt. (everyone can help with that
rolleyes.gif
)

Reactions: SaulFabre

Sperion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
nintendough said:
This should be stickied!

That said, I still think I'll brick my Wii doing this cuz I'm such a n00b
tongue.gif

Its kinda hard to brick it if you just hold on to the tutorial but he, its your own responsibility
tongue.gif

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
Sperion said:
Todo:
rolleyes.gif
)
Find a way to play the sound. (everyone can help with that
rolleyes.gif
)

What happened during the process to prevent that 2 toned music to play when you launch the channel?

The sound.bin was never touched
unsure.gif

Skater4599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fission said:
Sperion said:
Todo:
rolleyes.gif
)
Find a way to play the sound. (everyone can help with that
rolleyes.gif
)

What happened during the process to prevent that 2 toned music to play when you launch the channel?

The sound.bin was never touched
unsure.gif

Nobody knows at this point, ive been trying and trying myself to fix it. but if i had to guess im gonna say the repacker prog is to blame, but who knows.

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a way to disable the 'Operations Guide' button so that it doesn't appear when the 'Home' button is pressed?

I'll try following the guide tonight as it looks a lot more easy to follow.
smile.gif

Sperion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
unsteadycarrot said:
how can we use these tools to create a new banner for a DVD? eg: changing the guitar hero 3 banner.
i believe you need to extract the opening.bnr file from the dvd then you need to extract that file with u8extr_v0.2a_eng then you will get a banner.bin and an icon.bin and an sound.bin gbalzss banner and icon.bin en extract those files again you will now have the same files as the virtual console games. (dont know if 100% correctly, but i cant test it right now)

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I got it to work! This guide is really helpful. I did take some pictures but fucking Vista won't allow my camera to connect.

WB3000

Trophies
Website
wb3000.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
gah I did forget to translate some message boxes, I had never used the tools before I translated so I only knew to change what I saw in the main window.

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the new, thorough tutorial. I just followed it exactly for an NES inject (Pro Wrestling into Punch Out!!). Hopefully it works. I'm currently without a Wii at this point due to bricking it with a failed attempt at a custom VC game banner.

If anyone has a means of protecting their system against bricks and would like to test my new WAD for me, please PM me. Brave people only! Haha.

EDIT: Or, if anyone uses DVD-RW discs to test the banner out first, PM me and I'll send you the opening.bnr that I made from the 00.app. That way is perfectly safe.

EDIT2: I've gone ahead and made the ISO for testing. It's JParadox's custom banner testing ISO containing my opening.bnr. It can be downloaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/?yrvutnn9djm So if anyone with a modchip, 3.2 or lower and a rewritable DVD wants to test my banner for me, just burn that 6 megabyte ISO with ImgBurn and let me know if the disc channel displays the proper banner! Let me know if it worked! Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I may take a shower to remove all the sunburns in my body