Homebrew Need help with Wii ISO Loader

LegendaryXM90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I'm pretty sure I've done everything right so far.

I have a NTSC Wii, a normal NTSC TV, and normal Wii cables

- I've used the Twilight Hack to install the Homebrew Channel
- I used the WAD Manager to install cIOS249
- I've installed DVDX using cIOS249
- I put the loader on my SD card, the HBC recognizes it
- I've downloaded a 4.3 GB No More Heroes NTSC .iso
- I patched the .iso with the backup creator
- I burned the 3.9 GB partition.iso with ImgBurn on a 4.7 GB Maxwell DVD-RW at 16x for safety with verify on, no errors (although I went through about 4 discs before I got no errors)

Now I have my DVD, I pop it into the Wii, open up the loader, and on on Title Identification, I get ERROR! ... (ret = -4100)! I even tried to boot it with Gecko OS (downloaded from Homebrew Browser), and it says No DVD!

Also, a slightly related problem, I have DVDX installed, and I have mplayer (dvdlib edition), and I tried to load a storebought DVD movie, and the app just freezes (I can exit with the HOME button or Reset button). Could this also be causing a problem?

What did I do wrong? T_T

LegendaryXM90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm...what? I said in my post that I installed DVDX with cIOS249, and you can only access 249 if you installed it ... lol

I added an extra line to what I did to clear up any confusion.

LegendaryXM90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I don't have any DVDR's on hand...

Should I just try another DVD-RW at 4x? So far I've only tried 2x and 16x and neither works.

EDIT: Wait, you're saying nobody has had any luck with DVD-RWs? That's not good news at all. T_T

EDIT2: This is f***ing ridiculous. I tried burning partition.iso at 4x, and I still get the ret = -4100 error. I'm wasting all of my god damned DVDs.

HOW DO I MAKE THIS WORK!?!?!

LegendaryXM90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly, every time I try to erase these, with the Windows Eraser or the ImgBurn eraser, I always get errors.
frown.gif

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if your wii is modded you will always get this error, so if thats the case for you, there ya go.
if not, DVD-RW's won't work for you, just use minusR's

LegendaryXM90 said:
Sadly, every time I try to erase these, with the Windows Eraser or the ImgBurn eraser, I always get errors.
frown.gif

you may have tried to burn it faster then it was rated ON THE DISC itself
RW media usually dont have rated speeds above 8x, most above 4x, some no more than 2.4x
if you really did try at 1x and 2x, I bet you could erase those. if not, I dunno.

LegendaryXM90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OH!!

Now that you mention it, I remember seeing on the ImgBurn screen that the max burn speed was 2x! AHHHH! But I remember burning a disc at 2x and with the verify it said the file burned to the disc was smaller than the actual original partition.iso. I don't get this error when I burn at any speed above 2x.

I seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place here. What should I do? I'm downloading Nero ATM. Should I try burning with that?

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sure try nero if you want

ImgBurn is mainly used, because before software-loaders, when it was only modchips for Wii,
it had the best results with wii isos, which really says nothing about these new image files.

(except that ImgBurn is a nice, quality program, of course)

also, make sure u use the newest version of ImgBurn, 2.4.2.0
and, when using backup-creator

put the program, the iso, and the common key all in one, simple directory
like "C:\Wii\"

and dont include and weird characters or spaces in the directory name or iso name

so it might be:

C:\Wii\WiiSports.iso

and then with the program and common-key file in there, create partition.iso

good luck

PS: oh yea and switch to -R's or (if you can booktype) +R's instead of RW media

you can also try this:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=105...p;#entry1416456

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What site is the patched partition that your burning ?
Just want to make sure the filesize is correct.

I burnt 4 DVD-RW discs with the same partition.iso and got the same error as you got there.
I Finally burnt the disc at 2.4 speed onto a DVD-r disc (same partition.iso) and it worked perfectly.

The only difference was that the disc wasnt re-writable - i dont think the Wii likes them.

LegendaryXM90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AH! Thank you, djtaz! Very helpful!

I'll be sure to go get some DVD-Rs! Thanks for the help!

I'll post back sometime and bump this topic if anything goes wrong or actually goes right.
smile.gif

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Easy to get frustrated with these things but just try to remember that a lot of people are in the same boat with this stuff as its not out long and its not exactly a tested and confirmed product.

Comments like 'EDIT2: This is f***ing ridiculous' tend to make people back off from helping as its your choice to install this in the first place and we have all had our little headaches we worked through.

The people on here are just trying to help so try to keep the comments polite back to them or they will stop - and if something doesnt work its not the fault of anyone on here , its either a general problem that hasnt yet been overcome , its something with your hardware or its a step that you have done wrongly.

Everyone on here wants this to work flawlessly for everyone - sadly thats not the case yet.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
noobwarrior7 said:
if your wii is modded you will always get this error, so if thats the case for you, there ya go.
if not, DVD-RW's won't work for you, just use minusR's

LegendaryXM90 said:
frown.gif

you may have tried to burn it faster then it was rated ON THE DISC itself
RW media usually dont have rated speeds above 8x, most above 4x, some no more than 2.4x
if you really did try at 1x and 2x, I bet you could erase those. if not, I dunno.

QUOTE(djtaz @ Sep 30 2008, 09:11 AM)
What site is the patched partition that your burning ?
Just want to make sure the filesize is correct.

I burnt 4 DVD-RW discs with the same partition.iso and got the same error as you got there.
I Finally burnt the disc at 2.4 speed onto a DVD-r disc (same partition.iso) and it worked perfectly.

The only difference was that the disc wasnt re-writable - i dont think the Wii likes them.

lol, I said that too, but I guess they missed it.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
noobwarrior7 said:

Eveything you said was perfectly correct and should have resolved his issue but he was frustrated that it didnt work and wanted a quick solution and probably didnt read it all, or interperated what you said as a maybe.

I didnt actually say dvdrw's didnt work , i just said i tried them and i got the same error. I think people like examples of how someone else solved a problem - makes it easier to try for them.

Didnt mean to steal your glory noobwarrior , every single bit of advice you gave was sound and correct and you should have been thanked for your input every bit as much as anyone else... and im sure he will when he reports back
wink.gif

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz said:
noobwarrior7 said:

Eveything you said was perfectly correct and should have resolved his issue but he was frustrated that it didnt work and wanted a quick solution and probably didnt read it all, or interperated what you said as a maybe.

I didnt actually say dvdrw's didnt work , i just said i tried them and i got the same error. I think people like examples of how someone else solved a problem - makes it easier to try for them.

Didnt mean to steal your glory noobwarrior , every single bit of advice you gave was sound and correct and you should have been thanked for your input every bit as much as anyone else... and im sure he will when he reports back
wink.gif

my lol was legitimate, no anger, I actually do think those sorts of things are funny, and hey at least he got the message (we hope!)

zelgadis

Trophies
XP
Country
I am having the same problem. But what is this common/share key people are mentioning? And how can I book file something so I can use my DVD +R s ? :'( I have homebrew channel and all the same things installed~

LegendaryXM90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright guys, thanks for all your help!

I just ran down to CVS and bought some DVD-Rs (surprised they had them + they were the last ones on the shelf XD).

Plus I downloaded another torrent of No More Heroes, just in case it's the .iso that's causing problems.

I only have 5 of these things, so here's to hoping it works on the first try!
biggrin.gif

EDIT: OMFG YES. FIRST TRY. I burned JUST ONE DVD-R at 16x (their max speed), didn't have to change the booktype or anything. I heard that you should reinstall both cIOS249 and DVDX before doing stuff like this, so I did that.

Waninko's loader actually recognized the game's title, but gave me a green and then gray screen. So I switched to Wiigator's loader, turned off Ocarina, and turned on Force NTSC, AND IT WORKS.

SWEET JESUS, IT WORKS. FULL COLOR. FULLY PLAYABLE (opening movie lags, but I knew that already). FULLY AWESOME.

I only have 4 discs left...what to download...hehehe.

I think I'm going for Twilight Princess (the one I have now is my friend's), a Naruto game, a Bleach game, and Metroid Prime 3.
biggrin.gif

Finally I can be one of the cool kids on the block! XD

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LegendaryXM90 said:
Alright guys, thanks for all your help!

I just ran down to CVS and bought some DVD-Rs (surprised they had them + they were the last ones on the shelf XD).

Plus I downloaded another torrent of No More Heroes, just in case it's the .iso that's causing problems.

I only have 5 of these things, so here's to hoping it works on the first try!
biggrin.gif

EDIT: OMFG YES. FIRST TRY. I burned JUST ONE DVD-R at 16x (their max speed), didn't have to change the booktype or anything. I heard that you should reinstall both cIOS249 and DVDX before doing stuff like this, so I did that.

Waninko's loader actually recognized the game's title, but gave me a green and then gray screen. So I switched to Wiigator's loader, turned off Ocarina, and turned on Force NTSC, AND IT WORKS.

SWEET JESUS, IT WORKS. FULL COLOR. FULLY PLAYABLE (opening movie lags, but I knew that already). FULLY AWESOME.

I only have 4 discs left...what to download...hehehe.

I think I'm going for Twilight Princess (the one I have now is my friend's), a Naruto game, a Bleach game, and Metroid Prime 3.
biggrin.gif

Finally I can be one of the cool kids on the block! XD

congrats!!!

and just so you and everyone else knows, the reason you don't have to booktype DVDminusR is because they are already recognized as "booktyped" DVD-ROM by the various hardwares you might use them on.
so it's not: DVD-R doesn't need to be booktyped but DVD+R does, it's DVD-R already is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @MysticStarlight, my condolences +1