ROM Hack passme, wifime.... infectme?

jaxter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I understand there's two methods to get code (like flashme, or homebrews) to execute on a not-yet-flashed DS.

One is with a device like passme (or the newer cards), the other with wifime.

But all wifime does is send the target DS a program to execute. And we know that's how store demos and multiplayer(single cart) games work - the source DS sends the target DS a program which it executes.

Wouldn't it be possible to write code (let's call it "infectme") that runs on the source, lets you pick a DS executable, and send it wirelessly to the target DS which would then execute it?

Possible uses:

1. Getting flashme to run on a new DS without a passme (of course you still have to short SL1, etc)
2. Showing a random person, who doesn't even know about the homebrew scene, a game you (or somebody else) wrote - just upload it to their DS.
etc etc.

Is this possible? Has it already been done? Is it a stupid question?

Note: I sometimes write stuff for PCs, nothing for the DS yet...

corbs132

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
already thought of. the recieving ds's wont accept the executable, because the wifi executabnles have nintendo headers and the encryption hasnt been broken yet

jaxter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How come this isn't an issue with wifime?

Also: do we know at least the algorithm/strength of the encryption used? If it's, say, 64 bit it might be possible to brute-force it (it would still take a few months/years!) but with 128 bit or more, forget it.

jaxter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great info, but kinda depressing... makes me wonder if newer revisions will fix the BIOS bugs, blocking passme2 too... yikes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh