Help with game star network adapter with fat PS2

Omer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought game star network adapter to use sata hdd with my fat ps2. The problem is that my hard drive is not detected by ps2. I use hdd manager in elf launcher but its not detected by ps2. Two times was able to detect the hdd but unable to format it. I heard that its a common thing with game star adapter to not recognized unformatted hard drive so I tried formatting it in pc using winhiip and hdl patch installer and it was formatted but again not detected when used in fat ps2. I know the hard drive is working because it was working flawlessly using pc and also the game star adapter and the hard drive port in ps2 have no problems because I hear the hard disk sound spinning in the ps2 still not detecting the hard drive . I'm using the latest free mcboot software for that matter. Any idea of another method of formatting it by pc or ps2 in order for it to be detected ?

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought game star network adapter to use sata hdd with my fat ps2. The problem is that my hard drive is not detected by ps2. I use hdd manager in elf launcher but its not detected by ps2. Two times was able to detect the hdd but unable to format it. I heard that its a common thing with game star adapter to not recognized unformatted hard drive so I tried formatting it in pc using winhiip and hdl patch installer and it was formatted but again not detected when used in fat ps2. I know the hard drive is working because it was working flawlessly using pc and also the game star adapter and the hard drive port in ps2 have no problems because I hear the hard disk sound spinning in the ps2 still not detecting the hard drive . I'm using the latest free mcboot software for that matter. Any idea of another method of formatting it by pc or ps2 in order for it to be detected ?

Could be the brand of hard drive? I always have had the best luck with Western Digital drives for any console related things. Not sure if that is the issue. Another possibility is the drive is too large? But I think the latest things support drives up to like 2TB's or something.

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
There can be a few things fault.
You can try format it in ulaunchELF's HDD manager, installing HDDOSD, install Free HD Boot on it, change version of Free MC Boot\elf launcher, clean contacts on adapter.
I heard also that some installed chips can be at fault.
Btw, do you try to use official ps2 disc dump for hdd? I have original ps2 adapter and there if I remember correct was problem with formatting hdd too (Used FreeMCBoot first, bcs no chip installed on it), only that disk helped. But later I buy a switch for it to make it SATA from IDE and SATA formatted without problem. But then installed HDDOSD 2 and 500Gb HDD was good :D

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Omer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Could be the brand of hard drive? I always have had the best luck with Western Digital drives for any console related things. Not sure if that is the issue. Another possibility is the drive is too large? But I think the latest things support drives up to like 2TB's or someting
I'm using WD 500GB 2.5 internal HD and my ps2 is japanese model scph 5000 so I think my hdd is good to go
Post automatically merged:

There can be a few things fault.
You can try format it in ulaunchELF's HDD manager, installing HDDOSD, install Free HD Boot on it, change version of Free MC Boot\elf launcher, clean contacts on adapter.
I heard also that some installed chips can be at fault.
Btw, do you try to use official ps2 disc dump for hdd? I have original ps2 adapter and there if I remember correct was problem with formatting hdd too (Used FreeMCBoot first, bcs no chip installed on it), only that disk helped. But later I buy a switch for it to make it SATA from IDE and SATA formatted without problem. But then installed HDDOSD 2 and 500Gb HDD was good :D
I cleaned the contacts, tried different versions of fmb and elflauncher with no luck. But I have no idea what is HDDOSD ! What driving me insane is that I power on the ps2 and the device detect the drive but formatting failed always and if I turn off the power then back on and go to hdd manager in elflauncher says the hdd is not detected but then power on the device is detected but formatting failed. Have no idea what's happening there

Last edited by Omer,

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I'm using WD 500GB 2.5 internal HD and my ps2 is japanese model scph 5000 so I think my hdd is good to go

I cleaned the contacts, tried different versions of fmb and elflauncher with no luck. But I have no idea what is HDDOSD ! What driving me insane is that I power on the ps2 and the device detect the drive but formatting failed always and if I turn off the power then back on and go to hdd manager in elflauncher says the hdd is not detected but then power on the device is detected but formatting failed. Have no idea what's happening there
exfat opl Try this!
Thanks to you I found this need exfat function.
Guess I would format my and start from begining.
Big plus, you would need only opl (freemcboot) and hdd. So if it's still would no see it, maybe adapter problem or sectors not 512 (I format my from usb and all good)

Omer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
exfat opl Try this!
Thanks to you I found this need exfat function.
Guess I would format my and start from begining.
Big plus, you would need only opl (freemcboot) and hdd. So if it's still would no see it, maybe adapter problem or sectors not 512 (I format my from usb and all good)
Thanks but unfortunately didn't work for me and to add insult to injury the game star adapter ruined the hdd port of ps2 . DO NOT YOU EVER BUY GAMESTAR ADAPTER !!!!. Now I should buy another fat ps2 and the official adapter and SATA mode kit in order to play ps2 games Great ! :sad:

Omer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What do you mean by this?

Is the expansion bay port physically damaged, or just not working anymore?
Yes the screw of the adapter jammed inside and the adapter stuck and needed to be removed by force which eventually damaged the port and the metal plate

have a gamestar one with an 2TB HDD and it works fine.
maybe you got an early manufacture which was fine. Today there are a lot of clones and mine didn't even read the hard drives

Last edited by Omer,

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes the screw of the adapter jammed inside and the adapter stuck and needed to be removed by force which eventually damaged the port and the metal plate

maybe you got an early manufacture which was fine. Today there are a lot of clones and mine didn't even read the hard drives
ah shit....good i got an good one.

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia

Dawn, sad to hear it...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6igvB1yR04A