[Lost case] Saving a bricked Wii U (without anything)

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Heyah guys !

So i'm posting here without any hope, but we never know.
First, i've no Wii U Hacking knowledge AT ALL. If there's any hope i'll try to look more in detail. But here's the story.

Yesterday i've bought a dead Wii U for 10€. The fact it was complete in box, in a great shape was just a nice deal for me, since i have another wii u to put in a box. So i'm good with that.
It was in a second hand shop, and the owner of the store explained that the Wii U died after the guy tried to update it. So in my head i was like "may be a hacked wii that was forced to be updated and then rip"

The idea is that the Wii U reboots and then gives an error. He explained me that nothing was doable, but I wanted to double check here.
I've seen that the Wii U boots well, but once i try to load the Mii Channel, i get the instant crash. For example, I could go the Internet settings, and even try to log in a Nintendo Network Account without any issue. I've checked based on my error, and it seems to be an issue with something crashing randomly. But here it's not the case. I'm 100% sure that loading the Mii Channel ruins everything.

Here's the error :
160-2215. 5.5.2 EUR Wii U.

Any hope ? Any help ? Thanks o/

Jediweirdo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think 160 error codes means that the NAND in the Wii U is corrupted/corrupting. Further proof of that is that the Wii U refuses to open the Mii Maker, which is a telltale sign of this sort of thing. The only way I know how people solved this was by reflashing the NAND (which requires hardmodding), but obviously I'm could be wrong in that respect, and you'll need a NAND backup of the Wii U before it corrupted, which probably isn't even an option because you said you wanted to save it without anything. The only thing that I can say with absolute certainty though is to NEVER FACTORY RESET THE WII U!!! Also, I've heard that the Wii U auto-updates when its off & plugged in, so make sure you disable that setting or make sure its not connected to the internet.

Last edited by Jediweirdo,
Reactions: Rick Astley

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well it's not about "wanting" to save it without anything.
I got it yesterday, and I'ne nothing, the fact that it crashes at the Mii Channel only is my supposition of a forced updated Wii U (since the seller did it)

And I can assume it has been factory reset'd since second hand shop and they have to. That's why I don't have a lot of hope but i'm curious

Thanks anyway o/

Reactions: Alexander1970

Jediweirdo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problem, but I think you shouldn't give up just because I said something about it. Needless to say I'm like a level 1, so I don't know as many things as everyone else. Try to wait like a day for any new replies from people before giving up. I do have an idea of what might work to save it, but don't be hopeful because there's a 99.9999% chance of it not working than it actually working, and I'm afraid to say it right now, or I'll get roasted and ratioed by someone and everyone who reads the post will get a stroke and die from idiocracy overload. Let me research into it a bit and then tell you what I was thinking, regardless of if it works or not

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hmmmm interesting, I googled a bit about this code, and I saw also here some post from months ago about. The problem (seems) it's related to the MLC/SLC that corrupted some file sistem?!, so hardware. If it's the Nand problem, @AQS got the experience on that becausw he unbrick the console in HardMod way.

I'm curious, if it's really the Nand problem, by the Hard mod to extract the crypted key of the console , and reballing a new Nand on motherboard to reinject everything by HardMod. @AQS , please any thoughts on it?
My it's just an idea , just to don't give strictly a negative answer on that...

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks to both for your positive answers, it's really nice to see that attitude <3

If there's something doable, i'd love to check that. I'm used to 3DS / Switch dying because of having nothing to restore it that's more my concern. I really lack of knowledge for the Wii U, i've checked around, found stuff but... I'm not sure if I was in the right way and for me it was a big rip

AQS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For example, I could go the Internet settings, and even try to log in a Nintendo Network Account without any issue.....

Thanks for plug @CrisMod :)

Hey Rick, I think the most important thing is to try and see if you can get SLC,MLC, Opt.bin extracted from your system.......
In your post you mentioned that you can get to the internet settings without a crash. What about accessing a website from the browser, does that work or does that crash too? You may be able to get to a point where you can Launch an exploit (through the browser) for your (5.5.2 system) , such that you can run a homebrew app called "Wiiu Nand Dumper" to backup your Wiiu in it's current state. This will provide some better options before you begin experimenting..

Based on your reply (if browser works) then we will know which avenue to direct you to next.

Cheers!

Jediweirdo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I did some research into it, and I found out it's probably not going to work because you'll need to have your own NAND backup. Plus, you would probably need the original maker of the homebrew or someone who knows how the homebrew works internally to make it work. I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons why it won't work though. Anywho, this was my original idea in case someone smarter than me can somehow make it work:

Ok, so my idea was to utilize BluUbomb in order to either reflash the NAND, or to replace the corrupted files with working ones. I initially thought that it was possible, as you could access the Wii U menu fine, and since you could go in the internet without problems, I was also assuming that the Wii U gamepad also works (which I now know was paired using WiFi instead of Bluetooth. Welp...). Plus, I saw this tutorial made by @testing_this that replaced system files with a modified version of BluUbomb without the need of a NAND backup. And that's how that idea came into fruition.

And now for my second idea that also probably wouldn't work from the get-go because I don't even think such homebrew exists, nor am I sure if its technically possible. Plus, I think that would cause more problems than fix them:

What if we used a homebrew in order to reinstall Wii U NAND (kind of like decaffeinator, but for the Wii U or at least I think that was the name of the homebrew...) via a fake system update that replaces all of the onboard files on the Wii U with fresh copies? Obviously, you would need to uninstall CBHC beforehand, but I thought for a quick second that it could work in theory.

And yeah, those were my 2 bad ideas

Jediweirdo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hey Rick, I think the most important thing is to try and see if you can get SLC,MLC, Opt.bin extracted from your system.......
In your post you mentioned that you can get to the internet settings without a crash. What about accessing a website from the browser, does that work or does that crash too? You may be able to get to a point where you can Launch an exploit (through the browser) for your (5.5.2 system) , such that you can run a homebrew app called "Wiiu Nand Dumper" to backup your Wiiu in it's current state. This will provide some better options before you begin experimenting..

Based on your reply (if browser works) then we'll know which avenue to direct you next

Cheers!
Oh crap, I had no clue that you could do that with a corrupted NAND lol. But yeah that would probably work. Here are the files you'll need, and from the list you'll only need the first 3 listed files (mocha and the 2 homebrew launcher files) as well as the Wii U NAND Dumper file. You'll need to plug the SD card into the Wii U, and before trying to run the Wii U NAND dumper, be sure to activate mocha :)

edit:// I forgot to link the files lol

Last edited by Jediweirdo,
Reactions: CrisMod

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
First, once again, thanks to both for your answers and the positive mood brought here <3

Based on your reply (if browser works) then we will know which avenue to direct you to next.

Cheers!

So, I'm quite noob here, maybe I'm missing something. I don't think I can access the browser from my setup. Pretty much, the Wii U is in a factory reset state. Asking for me to create a Mii or to link a Nintendo Network Account.

If I go for the first, it gets a reboot when I enter the Mii Channel. If I try the second, I can setup an Nintendo Network Account without any issue, but when it asks me to select a Mii, it reboots / crashes the same way. So I'm not sure if there's an hidden way to go for it. I'm gonna give a look at it. Thanks a lot <3

Edit : I can't find a way to get to the browser channel. However, it can be random useless, but i did a wi-fi setup earlier. Got my crash. I'm trying again, and that wi-fi setup was saved. Not sure if it's a hint or something clean or not :/

Ok I did some research into it, and I found out it's probably not going to work because you'll need to have your own NAND backup. Plus, you would probably need the original maker of the homebrew or someone who knows how the homebrew works internally to make it work. I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons why it won't work though. Anywho, this was my original idea in case someone smarter than me can somehow make it work:

Ok, so my idea was to utilize BluUbomb in order to either reflash the NAND, or to replace the corrupted files with working ones. I initially thought that it was possible, as you could access the Wii U menu fine, and since you could go in the internet without problems, I was also assuming that the Wii U gamepad also works (which I now know was paired using WiFi instead of Bluetooth. Welp...). Plus, I saw this tutorial made by @testing_this that replaced system files with a modified version of BluUbomb without the need of a NAND backup. And that's how that idea came into fruition.

And now for my second idea that also probably wouldn't work from the get-go because I don't even think such homebrew exists, nor am I sure if its technically possible. Plus, I think that would cause more problems than fix them:

What if we used a homebrew in order to reinstall Wii U NAND (kind of like decaffeinator, but for the Wii U or at least I think that was the name of the homebrew...) via a fake system update that replaces all of the onboard files on the Wii U with fresh copies? Obviously, you would need to uninstall CBHC beforehand, but I thought for a quick second that it could work in theory.

And yeah, those were my 2 bad ideas

Well, I'll have to look at your answers in detail once i'm sure I can do anything. I see you're talking about the SD Card, but there's none with my Wii U atm. I'm really here with nothing to setup. I don't know i could access at anything else atm. I see the idea behind it. If I could somehow get my NAND and see how it goes, it could help a lot for sure :/

Last edited by Rick Astley,

AQS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
... Pretty much, the Wii U is in a factory reset state. Asking for me to create a Mii or to link a Nintendo Network Account.
If I go for the first, it gets a reboot when I enter the Mii Channel. If I try the second, I can setup an Nintendo Network Account without any issue, but when it asks me to select a Mii, it reboots / crashes the same way. .......
Ouch! .. I understand now ...

Even if you were to do a hardmod extract of MLC you're still not going to be able to repair the file structure without the opt.bin file as MLC is encrypted. I don't recall if the HOME menu is disabled at the "Create Mii" window, but maybe try that as the Home Menu has the Browser at the bottom of the menu. .. Also definitely try what @CrisMod suggested above with BluUBomb. ( As you can see from our replies, the key to any repair here will be see what entry point can get you to homebrew )

Another question ...... Can you try and see if vWii is launchable? - To do this , "Power on the Wii U console and then press and hold down the B Button on the Wii U GamePad, Wii Remote, or Wii U Pro Controller when you see the Wii U logo splash screen" - source .. if this works you can retrieve opt.bin via vWii with an app called (Xyzzy) .. there would still need to be some config required for vWii but first try to see if vWii is even accessible

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Well seems it's a solution. It's quite late for me, and i'm moving tomorrow, so i'll check that tomorrow to avoid any fail / rush in that setup. Atm i'm trying fast solutions like with AQS' suggestions to see if it can help or not :(

Ouch! .. I understand now ...

Even if you were to do a hardmod extract of MLC you're still not going to be able to repair the file structure without the opt.bin file as MLC is encrypted. I don't recall if the HOME menu is disabled at the "Create Mii" window, but maybe try that as the Home Menu has the Browser at the bottom of the menu. .. Also definitely try what @CrisMod suggested above with BluUBomb. ( As you can see from our replies, the key to any repair here will be see what entry point can get you to homebrew )

Another question ...... Can you try and see if vWii is launchable? - To do this , "Power on the Wii U console and then press and hold down the B Button on the Wii U GamePad, Wii Remote, or Wii U Pro Controller when you see the Wii U logo splash screen" - source .. if this works you can retrieve opt.bin via vWii with an app called (Xyzzy) .. there would still need to be some config required for vWii but first try to see if vWii is even accessible

Well, i've done some checks. And I don't have good news haha.

First, I can't press the Home menu at all; I've tried at almost every screen, but nothing. I've tried to escape the wi-fi settings etc, but nothing. I'm stuck in that part of setting up the Wii U, leading to the Mii Channel.

Also, I tried to get that vWii but sadly, nothing happens, I just get into the introduction menu. Could it be possible that the Wii is clean and the Mii channel got corrupted somehow ?

Thanks to both. Again.

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Exactly ! The Wii U seems to "work" fine otherwise. No boot issue etc, it's just when the console wants to throw me to the Mii Menu. I can set up a wi-fi connexion etc but I see the error is there.

Thanks !

Jediweirdo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I had to deal with something before I could post my idea:

I can't test this myself, but it looks like that you have a frickton of 3DS so your bound to have a NNID. Maybe you can link your NNID from those settings? If your able to link your NNIDs, then I think you can proceed without making a mii (because its already linked).

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well it was my first idea, and I did that, I thought it was obvious in my first post haha
=> Linked a Nintendo Network Account but the Wii U asks to choose for a Mii. And then, well opens the Mii Channel :/

GaryOderNichts

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Might not even be a corrupted NAND.
Some people mess with their system files which ends up bricking the Mii Maker. Since you need the Mii Maker to use the browser exploit they're stuck and think a factory reset will fix the system. This leads to a soft-brick, which is where you're stuck now.

If you can get bluubomb working, follow this.
Instead of downloading the certificates from NUS, find the title id of the Mii Maker for your region here.

Check the second letter of the serial number on the bottom of your console, to find out what region the console is:
  • "E" (Europe)
  • "J" (Japan)
  • "W" (North America)

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finally home !

I'm not sure if it's corrupted in the end, for sure. And yep it's exactly where I am.
I've checked the guide, but the closest thing i've to the setup is an old old old netbook running Mint (like that thing is maybe... 14 years old not) i'm not sure if it'd work. Also would have to setup an SD Card then.

Linux is the only way ?
Thanks a lot o/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    QuarterCut @ QuarterCut: my reaction to such information +1