Mortal Kombat 1 & 2 (Game Boy): Is there a way I can split the game ROMs from the main ROM?

WarMasterXX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought and dumped my own copy of Mortal Kombat 1 & 2 for Game Boy. The two-in-one cartridge, not the individual games. Why? Because I wanted to do it that way. I have my reasons.

I'm well aware that the game doesn't work through emulation because the menu screen boots you back to the copyright screen after you pick a game, no matter what you do. Thus I'd like to know if there's a way I can split the game ROMs from the main ROM so that they're playable through emulation. It shouldn't be that hard right?

If I can't, then that's fine. I plan on also buying and dumping Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 for the Master System later on.

rrifonas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might be able to do that with a hexadecimal editor like HxD. The exact contents from Mortal Kombat are located on address range 40000-7FFFF. Mortal Kombat II is located in the range 80000-BFFFF.

I'm not sure if GB roms have any kind of checksum, but these address ranges are almost exactly the save as the individual MK1 and MK2 roms.

WarMasterXX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might be able to do that with a hexadecimal editor like HxD. The exact contents from Mortal Kombat are located on address range 40000-7FFFF. Mortal Kombat II is located in the range 80000-BFFFF.

I'm not sure if GB roms have any kind of checksum, but these address ranges are almost exactly the save as the individual MK1 and MK2 roms.
That did it! Thanks.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Look, when OP told that Mk 1 & 2 Rom is not playable on emulators, I decided to test out on my Everdrive X7. It didn't work either, but as I was on clone hardware, I gave no importance.

Tonight I tested on an original Gameboy Color, and... it not work either!!! Now I'm curious why. Do this cart use a mapper that the everdrive do not support?

Anyway, today I also update my SD2Snes, and not it officially features Super Gameboy suport. On the SD2Snes Mortal Kombat 1 & 2 rom works just fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    that game's engine is really fucking intensive so it runs like literal shit on xbox 360 and ps3
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah I'm getting value creep again. I look at a $50 console "but for just a few more dollars you could get XYZ" and I end up considering the Steam Deck.
    +2
    like the lighting in that game was genuinely so good
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not getting dragged into that again.
    i dont get why they didn't port the one game that ran the worst on consoles, to pc
    like you port everything to pc except the one game where it would make the most sense. why. what do you gain from this
    is sega just personally fucking with me? are they laughing while watching me through my kinect camera as i get up to restart my xbox for the third time because the game froze again
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Buy handhelds from five below better quality
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Valve probably going to do another refresh of the deck this fall with rog ally like specs tbh
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    A smaller form factor would be nice too.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A shield portable 2 would be nice aye Nvidia
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The big leap in all things tech is when carbon based chips start hitting.
    Longer battery life cooler temps and faster! What's not to like lol (probably expensive as hell)
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    [checks my dildo(s) batteries, coolant and lube] :O [promptly replaces them] :D
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lol not even for sale yet to public, and already sold out. I'd like to get one but ill wait for the hype to calm down.
    +1
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    I'm pretty sure I wasn't on GBAtemp at all yesterday, whenever I tried to go onto the website I got an unexpected database error
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We all teamed together and decided you needed a day off, so we blocked you.
    +1
    No one expects the database errors!!!
    +1
    Hey a thought occurred to me... If they are unexpected database errors, are there expected database errors?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, that's just a pre-order term to make the product look better it's not sold out
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never expect a website to last 24/7 it's like section 8
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Never expect a website to last 24/7 it's like section 8