Hardware Switch game pricing Dilemma

Bowl0l

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
The Switch is both a portable and home console.
How does Nintendo plan to explain to parents that their portable games are now $60 versus the 3DS $40?
Parents will be shocked to see that Pokemon is now $60.

Edited:
I mean now Switch has introduced a new category, one hardware that plays handheld game and gaming on TV.

1. Every publisher will be tempted to choose to price their games $60 because they need more effort to release games playable in mobile mode and big screen mode.
If their multiplat games look pixelated in the big screen, why bother paying $60?
If their multiplat games has slowdown, look worse in mobile mode and shorten the battery life, why bother buying a Switch version of games?
If it's not mandatory for games to have big screen mode and mobile mode, why bother buying Switch version of games at $60?
2. Nintendo will probably not price any of their games lower than $60 since Switch is a new category, which is a hybrid.

Last edited by Bowl0l,

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only if games normally on the handhelds goes up. Pokemon may still just be $40. Games for handheld games and console games will probably just remain the same.

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch is both a portable and home console.
How does Nintendo plan to explain to parents that their portable games are now $60 versus the 3DS $40?
Parents will be shocked to see that Pokemon is now $60.
I expect the switch version of Pokemon to be $40 but it will be the last time. After that the games will change to the modern graphics and price model. No DLC I hope.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
There won't really be much of a difference though once it comes out. A lot of portable games can be long as console games. There isn't really a quality difference either.
Yeah, but knowing Nintendo, they could make games that are geared towards being on-the-go, vs games focused on sitting at home.

Bowl0l

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Only if games normally on the handhelds goes up. Pokemon may still just be $40. Games for handheld games and console games will probably just remain the same.
Yeah, the price probably depends if it's a home title, or a portable title.
But the Switch is a console that has a big screen mode and mobile mode.

If we get games that is exclusive to one mode, it will contradict Switch marketing message.
But I'm not surprised if Nintendo will not enforce this since developing games are taking more time.

There won't really be much of a difference though once it comes out. A lot of portable games can be long as console games. There isn't really a quality difference either.
I'm sceptical that a game will look the same when it has a limit in power consumption.
I expect the switch version of Pokemon to be $40 but it will be the last time. After that the games will change to the modern graphics and price model. No DLC I hope.
Pokemon already have dlc although it's free (event only legendary Pokemon downloads, items)

Reactions: Jayro

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I've been thinking about Hyrule Warriors, which released on Wii U for $60, then on 3DS a little more than a year later for $40 that included all previous Wii U DLC (free of charge?) and additional content. For as much as newly released Wii U titles typical sell for $60, the Switch will likely have the far greater number of software sales with dual releases, so it could be the deciding factor with regard to software pricing for both platforms, or could simply be cheaper from the get-go to entice people to "make the Switch".

In all honesty, Wii U is dead (and for many, has been dead for quite a while), so Nintendo could just drop the price (physical and digital) of all their games for it to match the price the Switch will set for its games, allowing one last (weak) hurrah for the system as the newer system takes the reigns.

Bowl0l

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Aren't games like $80-90 now?
/cries in a moccasin
Depends on where you live. But a lot of new games in Canada are $70-80.
In Malaysia, WiiU games starts from USD $60.
Yeah, but knowing Nintendo, they could make games that are geared towards being on-the-go, vs games focused on sitting at home.
I hope Nintendo will lead by example, make their games playable for otg and sitting at home because that's the Switch selling point.
I've been thinking about Hyrule Warriors, which released on Wii U for $60, then on 3DS a little more than a year later for $40 that included all previous Wii U DLC (free of charge?) and additional content. For as much as newly released Wii U titles typical sell for $60, the Switch will likely have the far greater number of software sales with dual releases, so it could be the deciding factor with regard to software pricing for both platforms, or could simply be cheaper from the get-go to entice people to "make the Switch".

In all honesty, Wii U is dead (and for many, has been dead for quite a while), so Nintendo could just drop the price (physical and digital) of all their games for it to match the price the Switch will set for its games, allowing one last (weak) hurrah for the system as the newer system takes the reigns.
Nintendo already practice it. They call it Nintendo Select.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we get games that is exclusive to one mode, it will contradict Switch marketing message.
But I'm not surprised if Nintendo will not enforce this since developing games are taking more time.
I never said it didn't. Using the PSTV or psp as example, just because you can play handheld games on the TV, doesn't mean they will go up in price.

That said, even if Nintendo started out with that enforcement, down the line, I can see devs breaking it anyway. Not guaranteed, but exceptions tend to happen.

Remakes and enhanced releases happen all the time already. What may happen, a dev might make a game for the handhelds first, but decide to releases again as console remake and you may have to pay for upgrade. Not the full price.

For example. A game comes out for the handhelds for $40, but then a console version comes out later on for $60. You would only have to pay $20 for a upgrade. If not free (maybe if you bought all the dlc), of course. :P

Last edited by KingVamp,

Bowl0l

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I never said it didn't. Using the PSTV or psp as example, just because you can play handheld games on the TV, doesn't mean they will go up in price.

That said, even if Nintendo started out with that enforcement, down the line, I can see devs breaking it anyway. Not guaranteed, but exceptions tend to happen.
Sony's PS Vita TV shouldn't be used as an example because it was send out to die. Sony has an established home console, the PS3 and then immediately after Vita TV launch, the PS4. No one will even look at Vita's exclusive games when next gen is around the corner. The higher asking price for Vita games that can be played using two different Vita hardware variation (not everyone have both Vita and Vita TV) will reduce any sales it can have.

I have no argument for PSP game prices. I can only assume that PS2 player base size is more attractive to focus on developing games.

Switch is the only console that Nintendo is selling. They can choose $60 as standard price because for now Switch is Nintendo's only console.

Last edited by Bowl0l,

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch is the only console that Nintendo is selling. They can choose $60 as standard price because for now Switch is Nintendo's only console.
"Choose" doesn't mean they will. Can't see Pokemon going for the full $60 price tag, especially with the two version model. I just don't believe that games or at least most games normally on handhelds with no home console counterpart (Bravely Default as an example) will suddenly shoot up in price just due to them being able to be played on TV. If so, wouldn't stay that price for long. Not every game have to use the full power of the Switch. Not every dev have or want to use the budget to do so.

We'll see.

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm sceptical that a game will look the same when it has a limit in power consumption.
Pokemon already have dlc although it's free (event only legendary Pokemon downloads, items)
Not unlock key DLC, you knew I meant expansion packs. Real DLC. Like How Sm4sh got Mewtwo, that was an add-on.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
There will be a range of pricing for Switch. Older AAAs and ports will be around $40, new AAA games will be $60, games primarily targeted at Switch as portable will probably be $40, then you've got indies anywhere from $10 - $40.

Not to mention the prevalence of digital downloads these days and their various prices depending on sales/publisher/the waxing of the crescent moon.

Reactions: KingVamp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6igvB1yR04A