Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
source 1up: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179238
QUOTE said:
Iwata: 3DS Not the "Formal" Name for New Handheld
Nintendo president also discusses potential for higher 3DS development costs and the system's target audience.

By Kris Pigna, 05/11/2010

* 0diggsdigg

Nintendo 3DS

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata recently participated in a Q&A session with investors in Japan (via Andriasang), where he dropped a few new details and elaborated on a few old ones regarding their upcoming Nintendo 3DS handheld -- including the fact that "3DS" is not actually the official name for the hardware.

"We've said that it will be released during this term, so the announcement of the formal name will not be too far off," said Iwata in response to one question about naming, indicating that "3DS" is not in fact the formal name but simply a placeholder.

Iwata also addressed speculation that development of 3D games would require higher development costs, which is a proposition he doesn't agree with. "If a game is originally made as a true 3D space, you make the 3D image by drawing two lines, one matching the left eye and one matching the right eye, so converting a game that already takes place in a 3D world into 3D is not all that difficult," Iwata said.

He went on to explain that 3D visuals on their own won't improve a game, but that it'll require "trial and error" to create "interesting" interactive experiences combined with 3D visuals. "It is that trial and error alone that could see an increase in development cost," Iwata said. "However, the trial and error is there for any development where you try to make new entertainment experiences, and not just 3D."

Another topic Iwata touched on was his own recent revelation that the 3D functionality of the 3DS could be switched off due to health concerns. "This isn't limited to just kids, but we're aware one in some tens of people, including adults, has difficulty with three dimensional visuals," he explained. "So, while the 3D image is a special feature of the 3DS, we won't force the player to use the 3D functionality. By making it so that the player can at all times play with [the 3D feature] off, we believe we can comply with those who have difficulty with the 3D view or those who are worried about their child's eyes."

A few more bits and pieces from the Q&A session: Iwata said the 3DS's target audience would not necessarily skew more toward hardcore gamers just because of the 3D visuals, as it'll have both casual games and games with "high-level productions"; he also explained the 3DS's early leak was due to Nintendo having to inform outside developers about the hardware in order for them to have an idea of what they could make on it, which spread the information in a way Nintendo could no longer control; and lastly Iwata also commented on the Wii successor, saying they have nothing to show on it and that "We are in no way thinking 'the Wii is near the end of its platform cycle so we will limit our investments.'"

discuss

edit: posted before in user submitted news but still this is the 3ds board so discuss anyway

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Everyone knew from the beginning it wasn't the final name.

glare.gif

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it actually is surprising. the ds is now a brand name. You want those two letters in the name somewhere. 3ds was the perfect way to get nintendo's casual to see that a. its still the ds you love and b.theres now a twist so you should buy it to see it. Its perfect. Its still possible that the 3ds can be the name.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"We've said that it will be released during this term, so the announcement of the formal name will not be too far off," said Iwata in response to one question about naming, indicating that "3DS" is not in fact the formal name but simply a placeholder.

that's bullshit, it could still be announced as "3DS," what he said does not imply it WON'T be the name.

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care even if the new name sucks. People bitched about "wii" when that name was announced, and no one complains about that anymore. If you want to buy it now, odds are you're gonna buy it even if the name is "dscrap"

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ProtoKun7 said:

glare.gif
That`s what was said about the "DS" in Nintendo DS as well... But I think this time they will most definitely change the name, since the resemblance to the DSes name is a little too big.

I vote for: GameBoy 3D
biggrin.gif
(In fact I often call the NDS just gameboy
tongue.gif
)

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
tj_cool said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Amber Lamps said:
3DS to me looks like plural of 3D which is also dumb.
The plural of 3D is 3Ds. Unless you're shouting.

Wouldn't that make it 3 Dimensionss?
unsure.gif

Indeed, as due to the nature of it, it actually has no plural (but if it did, it would be 3Ds).

QUOTE(Master Mo @ May 12 2010, 07:27 PM) QUOTE(ProtoKun7 @ May 12 2010, 12:44 AM)

glare.gif
That`s what was said about the "DS" in Nintendo DS as well... But I think this time they will most definitely change the name, since the resemblance to the DSes name is a little too big.

I vote for: GameBoy 3D
biggrin.gif
(In fact I often call the NDS just gameboy
tongue.gif
)
dry.gif

Seriously, that makes you look stupid.
rolleyes.gif
It's completely separate to the Game Boy line.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
DeMoN said:
3DS sounded really good in my opinion. If the new name sucks, then I'll still refer to it as the 3DS from then on.
Well they changed "Revolution" to "Wii", so the chances of the new name being sucky are pretty high I'd say.

Gutentag

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
dinofan01 said:
it actually is surprising. the ds is now a brand name. You want those two letters in the name somewhere. 3ds was the perfect way to get nintendo's casual to see that a. its still the ds you love and b.theres now a twist so you should buy it to see it. Its perfect. Its still possible that the 3ds can be the name.
No. It's not.

Gutentag

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
yuyuyup said:

that's bullshit, it could still be announced as "3DS," what he said does not imply it WON'T be the name.
Why would they announce the name if it had already been announced?

Just so you know, since you have a skewed understanding of implications, I'm implying that you're stupid and don't know what you're talking about.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What ?! What a surprise ?? No, it was just code name as always as any portables and consoles before they decide to gave a real name.

Gutentag

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
RockmanForte said:
What ?! What a surprise ?? No, it was just code name as always as any portables and consoles before they decide to gave a real name.
I'm pretty sure the "surprise" comment was sarcasm.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA63mm5FnMo&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Flostmediawiki.com...