Last question about texture packs

C0meg3ts0me

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In all the tutorials I found it png files were only discussed , what are dds files ? Are those gimp files ? I know it might be a stupid question, but just curious I'm going to start Scarface soon as my first project but I can't start till weds or Thursday but I'm doing my research thoroughly, any explanation would be a great help , thank you in advance

SomberShroud

Trophies
Website
hifi4everyone.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
DDS is a 3D graphics image format designed for using less VRAM when compressed compared to PNG as well as storing Mipmaps in the texture itself rather than seperately, thus improving performance on GPU's, especially helpful for mini PC's with APU's. DDS can end up taking more disc space than PNG's however and there are different formats for DDS but the 2 most commonly used are BC7 and DXT5 (DXT5 for compatibility, BC7 for quality).
important to note, on some occasions, DDS can break transparencies of textures making PNG the only viable option.
If you want to learn more about game dumping specifically for PCSX2 I made my own tutorial on my site. :arrow: https://sites.google.com/view/pcsx2-hd-textures-project/tutorial
Feel free to ask any questions on this thread.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
In all the tutorials I found it png files were only discussed , what are dds files ? Are those gimp files ? I know it might be a stupid question, but just curious I'm going to start Scarface soon as my first project but I can't start till weds or Thursday but I'm doing my research thoroughly, any explanation would be a great help , thank you in advance
DDS is just a container for textures created by Microsoft for use with DirectX, it commonly stores DXT format textures, but can contain other formats.
GIMP can open them, yes. Or at least, some of them. I've had mixed results, some DDS files just don't seem to be readable by anything. But I had the most luck with GIMP.
Not sure if GIMP can save them, so might need to use a tool to convert them back into DDS after modifying.

Reactions: C0meg3ts0me

C0meg3ts0me

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DDS is a 3D graphics image format designed for using less VRAM when compressed compared to PNG as well as storing Mipmaps in the texture itself rather than seperately, thus improving performance on GPU's, especially helpful for mini PC's with APU's. DDS can end up taking more disc space than PNG's however and there are different formats for DDS but the 2 most commonly used are BC7 and DXT5 (DXT5 for compatibility, BC7 for quality).
important to note, on some occasions, DDS can break transparencies of textures making PNG the only viable option.
If you want to learn more about game dumping specifically for PCSX2 I made my own tutorial on my site. :arrow: https://sites.google.com/view/pcsx2-hd-textures-project/tutorial
Feel free to ask any questions on this thread.
Ty so much your tutorial helped out a lot definitely going to spend $3.00 for that app to save time I thought I was going to edit one image at a time that will help a lot if it can batch upscale

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ty so much your tutorial helped out a lot definitely going to spend $3.00 for that app to save time I thought I was going to edit one image at a time that will help a lot if it can batch upscale
I use Gigapixel AI for upscaling, it's supposed to be the one of the best and you can obtain a free copy of it if you know where to look ;) It can do batch as well.

Reactions: C0meg3ts0me

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: