Delta emulator for iOS will support iPad devices in its next update

Screenshot from 2024-04-30 08-04-58.png

With just a couple weeks after its initial release in the App Store, the Delta emulator for iOS was received with great success, after Apple loosened up its rules in regards to video game emulators being available in their App Store at the start of the month.

However, despite the success of the emulator on the platform, one of the drawbacks from the Delta release was that it wasn't supported for iPad devices (alongside relying on the AltStore in order for people located in the EU to be able to use it). Thankfully, developer Riley Testut is currently working on providing iPad support for the next upcoming release of the emulator, providing an update through his Mastodon account in regards to the current state of the iPad support:

Riley Testut said:
Updates on Delta for iPad:
  • Yes, it’s coming!
  • We’ve been working on it for a while and it’s near completion, just need to finish up controller skins + fix some last bugs
  • We didn’t prioritize iPad because plan was to launch in just EU with AltStore PAL (which doesn’t support iPad)
  • Obviously plans changed when Apple changed their rules, so we’re prioritizing iPad now and it will come with the next major Delta update (1.6)
  • It’s available now for Patrons through regular AltStore
The current iPad beta is available for Patrons on the AltStore, and while Testut promises the iPad support to be available in the next Delta update v1.6, there's still no set date as to when it might come, but given the current development, it should be sooner rather than later.

:arrow: Delta emulator App Store page
:arrow: Riley Testut's Mastodon profile
:arrow: Riley Testut's Threads profile

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
iPad users are cooking along with the iPhone users. Like I said, It's honestly great to see them finally have access to emulators on there. Although I could sometimes imagine how hard that would be playing the games in touchscreen. But with a controller...

You got yourself a portable multi-use device ready to go.

Reactions: Quore

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

With just a couple weeks after its initial release in the App Store, the Delta emulator for iOS was received with great success, after Apple loosened up its rules in regards to video game emulators being available in their App Store at the start of the month.

However, despite the success of the emulator on the platform, one of the drawbacks from the Delta release was that it wasn't supported for iPad devices (alongside relying on the AltStore in order for people located in the EU to be able to use it). Thankfully, developer Riley Testut is currently working on providing iPad support for the next upcoming release of the emulator, providing an update through his Mastodon account in regards to the current state of the iPad support:

The current iPad beta is available for Patrons on the AltStore, and while Testut promises the iPad support to be available in the next Delta update v1.6, there's still no set date as to when it might come, but given the current development, it should be sooner rather than later.

I recently learned that delta can’t even save games properly without them crashing or needing to use save states instead

So while cool they are adding iPad support I kinda feel like that’s the wrong priority. Emulators figured out game saving years ago

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I recently learned that delta can’t even save games properly without them crashing or needing to use save states instead

So while cool they are adding iPad support I kinda feel like that’s the wrong priority. Emulators figured out game saving years ago

I'm sure that'll be tackled on the update as well, I don't think iPad support is the only priority, bugfixes should be as well, but I guess we'd have to wait until the next update to verify that.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure that'll be tackled on the update as well, I don't think iPad support is the only priority, bugfixes should be as well, but I guess we'd have to wait until the next update to verify that.
I’m sure it will be eventually but what worries me is that delta has been in “beta” for years and has been accepting patreon subs for this iPad update for almost 2 years as well

Feels kinda scummy to be charging a subscription for early updates and features for years when the emulator doesn’t even have basic functionality finished properly

Reactions: orangy57

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I’m sure it will be eventually but what worries me is that delta has been in “beta” for years and has been accepting patreon subs for this iPad update for almost 2 years as well

Feels kinda scummy to be charging a subscription for early updates and features for years when the emulator doesn’t even have basic functionality finished properly
In that I do agree, it's kinda iffy to be accepting Patreon donations but not really fixing the main emulator problems

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

most these guys know nowadays if ur patreon ur going to get a takedown so why would they care about the quality of the app. its cash in until u get a cease and desist then spin the bottle for who can put up the next copy and start all over.

people who expect patreon donations are losers imo. emulation and retro preservation is supposed to be a hobby. not a business to cash in on

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Finally, most forks have had this feature for the past two years, it’s nice to see it’s finally picking up….

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iPad users are cooking along with the iPhone users. Like I said, It's honestly great to see them finally have access to emulators on there. Although I could sometimes imagine how hard that would be playing the games in touchscreen. But with a controller...

You got yourself a portable multi-use device ready to go.
Been playing Provenance emu on my iPad for a long time now. It's not even an M chip, and I was using it on my old iPad that didn't have USB C, so it's been years actually. Works with a lot of different controllers. So not sure what you mean by "finally have access to emulators on there". I'm pretty sure Provenance has more cores than Delta, by a long shot.

Reactions: Baoulettes

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
not sure what you mean by "finally have access to emulators on there"

I don't know much about the iPhone scene in terms of emulation. I guess what I meant by what I said is that casual iphone users finally have a way to using emulators without having the Alt store, or whatever the phenomenon that happened with them recently.

Reactions: Sapphire01

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know much about the iPhone scene in terms of emulation. I guess what I meant by what I said is that casual iphone users finally have a way to using emulators without having the Alt store, or whatever the phenomenon that happened with them recently.
Yea, that's a huge deal. Since it's been many years that I haven't been able to jailbreak my devices (Because other apps I use give me hell if I do), I've had to build apps myself from source through xcode, or sign a pre-built IPA... then sideload it through xcode. And with a free dev account, this is only good for 7 days at a time. It truly does suck.

Reactions: apaltado

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
Yea, that's a huge deal. Since it's been many years that I haven't been able to jailbreak my devices (Because other apps I use give me hell if I do), I've had to build apps myself from source through xcode, or sign a pre-built IPA... then sideload it through xcode. And with a free dev account, this is only good for 7 days at a time. It truly does suck.

I know that I have always had emulators and such with having Android all my years, but now all you just need is the newest iPhone and the emulator itself. It took up until 2008 I just realized. I remember starting off with an IPod wishing that I was able to play GBA games on there, but I couldn't because there wasn't any official way to get them (and how to jailbreak it)

Nowadays in terms of my view about Jailbreaking things, I wouldn't understand the point of it because I still can't get much out of the old iPhones that I have. I wished that Apple was similar to Android where they support their old devices, but at the same time, it might just be the architecture of the apps that makes them incompatible or something (even though Apple came FIRST before Android)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Reactions: Sapphire01

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Apple wasn't being forced to open up, they wouldn't have.
It's idiotic that it had to come down to this so Apple users could have a fraction of what Android had for decades now.
They're not even truthfully opening up, instead just making alt stores that they control and monetize.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If Apple wasn't being forced to open up, they wouldn't have.
It's idiotic that it had to come down to this so Apple users could have a fraction of what Android had for decades now.

Android has been "closing down" for a while, but still way better that IOs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I didn't even know a new Ass creeds is coming