Homebrew SCFW: Custom Firmware & Kernel for Supercard

Gamemaster2022

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
hmm, i'm using a IPS modded GBA SP, so its better to turn this off?
No, you are good to go. I'm using a modded GBA SP too and have this feature on since I flashed my supercard. No issues whatsoever. Why I mentioned the problems with the original GBA is because my brother owns one and has those difficulties and had his saves erased several times before we found out why it was happening.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
@metroid maniac Hey you have any source for the flasher being used to flash SuperCard with the custom firmware? (if one exists..I remember trying one but not sure where I got it)

While tinkering with GBA-Exploader's source (managed to port it to modern libnds. :D ) I added support for SuperCard and it appears to work (minus the required game patches. That seems to still need done manually as GBA-Exploader won't do it for you for this one).

So I had the idea of looking at the official recovery tool's arm9 binary (for the NDS recovery tool) to see how it unlocks flash for my Super Card Lite because the custom stuff you've made (or ArcheyChen , not sure where I got the custom flasher from) seemingly does nothing.

image.pngimage2.png

After sending the command I found from Ghidra RE of the arm9 binary GBA-Exploader managed to change the contents because it would then white screen after gba bios screen. (The recovery tool was able to undo that by the way)

So I'm thinking GBAExploader didn't flash it right due to using 3in1's NorFlash stuff on a card that isn't setup for that.

Maybe having the proper tool updated to use the modes switch specific to SuperCard LIte would allow updating the firmware on it. :D

EDIT: Ok found the sckill program which was the app I recall trying to flash SC Lite with. I modified it's source to use the new unlock command and it did not end up altering the flash contents at all. Odd because modified GBA-Exploader could after I used the unlock command. Maybe SC Lite uses different flash commands as well?

Anyways I attached the modified source. I put back the original RW command for now. While I was at it I improved the program by using a better font plus enabling top screen so flash ID is displayed on that while flash progress text is displayed on bottom screen. Button prompt wait text added so now doesn't flash as soon as it starts. (gives user a chance to abort).

Here's how it looks:

Example.jpg
Example2.jpg

I've also changed how the scfw.bin file is embedded so it's easier to update. The attached source included below.

Attachments

• sckill.zip
    76.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by Apache Thunder,

Gamemaster2022

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
@metroid maniac Hey you have any source for the flasher being used to flash SuperCard with the custom firmware? (if one exists..I remember trying one but not sure where I got it)

While tinkering with GBA-Exploader's source (managed to port it to modern libnds. :D ) I added support for SuperCard and it appears to work (minus the required game patches. That seems to still need done manually as GBA-Exploader won't do it for you for this one).

So I had the idea of looking at the official recovery tool's arm9 binary (for the NDS recovery tool) to see how it unlocks flash for my Super Card Lite because the custom stuff you've made (or ArcheyChen , not sure where I got the custom flasher from) seemingly does nothing.

View attachment 437002View attachment 437003

After sending the command I found from Ghidra RE of the arm9 binary GBA-Exploader managed to change the contents because it would then white screen after gba bios screen. (The recovery tool was able to undo that by the way)

So I'm thinking GBAExploader didn't flash it right due to using 3in1's NorFlash stuff on a card that isn't setup for that.

Maybe having the proper tool updated to use the modes switch specific to SuperCard LIte would allow updating the firmware on it. :D

EDIT: Ok found the sckill program which was the app I recall trying to flash SC Lite with. I modified it's source to use the new unlock command and it did not end up altering the flash contents at all. Odd because modified GBA-Exploader could after I used the unlock command. Maybe SC Lite uses different flash commands as well?

Anyways I attached the modified source. I put back the original RW command for now. While I was at it I improved the program by using a better font plus enabling top screen so flash ID is displayed on that while flash progress text is displayed on bottom screen. Button prompt wait text added so now doesn't flash as soon as it starts. (gives user a chance to abort).

Here's how it looks:

View attachment 437312View attachment 437313

I've also changed how the scfw.bin file is embedded so it's easier to update. The attached source included below.
Is that a fricking Undertale reference?!

Seriously, good job on that!

Last edited by Gamemaster2022,

Xyvir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait the
Is that a fricking Undertale reference?!

Seriously, good job on that!
cu

View attachment 437002View attachment 437003

Here's how it looks:

View attachment 437312View attachment 437313

So you are saying Supercard CFW is embedded in the sckill.nds installer? (I haven't actually tried to flash the CFW to my cart yet.)

This means I could probably flash my supercard with haxxstation hosting sckill.nds even though I don't have a slot-1 flashcart. I may test this out this tomorrow sometime.

I'd love to try to help contribute to this project anyway I can.

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that sckill nds file doesn't load an external file or use NitroFS so it's something you can use with haxxstation. I think the bin file embedded in it is outdated though. You'll want to replace it with the current one and recompile. ;)

Haxxstation requires a flashcart to run though....unless TWiLight runs it without issue?

Xyvir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that sckill nds file doesn't load an external file or use NitroFS so it's something you can use with haxxstation. I think the bin file embedded in it is outdated though. You'll want to replace it with the current one and recompile. ;)

Haxxstation requires a flashcart to run though....unless TWiLight runs it without issue?
Yes it works, I originally flashed Flashme on my phat ds with Haxxstation from a hacked 3ds.

Neat, I can save spending 10 dollars on a slot-1 flashcart a little longer lol

Reactions: Apache Thunder

rolas

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Autosave off -> Autosave never occurs. You can only manage save files with the file browser. You should use this if you want to have full control over when and how you save.
Autosave on + Autosave on cold boot off -> Autosave only occurs when soft resetting. You should use this if you have a dead battery.
Autosave on + Autosave on cold boot on -> Autosave always occurs. Most people should use this and it is the default.

Booting through the BIOS fixes some compatibility issues, like Street Fighter II. There's probably a bug in the way I reboot the console to skip the BIOS, but I don't know what that is yet.
I have a couple of questions:

1. If the settings page only shows 0 and 1 as values, does this mean 0 = ON and 1 = OFF?
  2. How does the cold boot process work? Should I manually and quickly turn my GBA off and on again, or is there a specific button combination I need to press? I am confused about how to save the progress of the game I am currently playing, considering I think the SupercardSD battery might be dead. Thank you in advance.

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yes it works, I originally flashed Flashme on my phat ds with Haxxstation from a hacked 3ds.

Neat, I can save spending 10 dollars on a slot-1 flashcart a little longer lol

Haha I see. If you want to avoid getting a flashcard more power to you. Good to know Haxxstation works with TWiLight.

I on the other hand have too many flashcards. I have 12 or so currently, 6 of which are N-Card/N-Card clones with 2 more coming in the mail soon. (one of which is yet another N-Card). ... And now that I stopped to count...I have too many N-Cards... half my collection is N-Cards..... :P

GBA needs more love I think which is why I will soon have 2 GBA flashcarts. The SuperCard Lite i currently have + a EZ Flash 3 in 1 coming in the mail. That should be here in a couple days. SuperCard Lite is an interesting card but I have fond memories of the 3 in 1 I used to own in 2017 or so. :P

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

Janni9009

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a couple of questions:

1. If the settings page only shows 0 and 1 as values, does this mean 0 = ON and 1 = OFF?
  2. How does the cold boot process work? Should I manually and quickly turn my GBA off and on again, or is there a specific button combination I need to press? I am confused about how to save the progress of the game I am currently playing, considering I think the SupercardSD battery might be dead. Thank you in advance.
1. 1 is on, 0 is off. Goes by digital logic (high state read as 1, low state as 0)
2. If Autosave and Autosave after cold boot are enabled, turning the console off and on will cause it to save (at least if SRAM contents have been altered, not sure if it always tries to save). If Autosave and Soft reset Patch are enabled, A+B+Start+Select resets to the SCFW menu and saves (this works far more reliably with a dead battery)

@Apache Thunder darn, still only at one N-Card here (NeoMK5). 16Gbit at least :P.
Also here's hoping your 3in1 works, and isn't an EZ5C11 (least supported version since by then GBAlpha/M3 screwed over Rudolph. It's the last ver that released, and mostly based on the original C10)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 👍