Hacking Sigpatches for Atmosphere (Hekate, fss0, fusee & package3)

jelbo

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This one should work.
Yes, I have both, but I didn't look close enough. sigpatch-updater can update both sigpatches and sys-patch. At least, that's what it says in the app. My sys-patch 1.5.0 didn't get updated to 1.5.1 though, I had to do that myself.

penna

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I need to know if I'm understanding this correctly.

We have two options:

Option 1 is install sys-patch by unzipping it to the root of the SD card, and then doing nothing else it just works.
Option 2 is update hetake_ipl.ini with the text in the OP, and then drag and drop the contents of the "Latest Sigpatches File" zip linked in the first post into the root of the SD card. After that you're good.

Am I missing anything? Why would I choose one of these avenues over the other?

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
We have two options:

Option 1 is install sys-patch by unzipping it to the root of the SD card, and then doing nothing else it just works.
Option 2 is update hetake_ipl.ini with the text in the OP, and then drag and drop the contents of the "Latest Sigpatches File" zip linked in the first post into the root of the SD card. After that you're good.
Option 1 is correct.
Option 2 - I'd add that you'll need to load Atomsphere's package3 via Hekate's FSS0 i.e. you'll need to boot into Hekate first and select one of the CFW options, based on whether you have emuMMC or sysMMC setup.
There's also an Option 3 - Use modified Atmosphere's fusee.bin payload with ips kip patches support. In that case, sigpatches will work just like they did before.

Why would I choose one of these avenues over the other?
I'd say that sys-patch is a bit better because:
  • Requires updating only if something major breaks. (source) - e.g. when firmware 18.0.1 was released, sys-patch that was released for 18.0.0 worked just fine.
  • Patching ldr will (likely) never need to be updated. (source) - Apparently, sigpatches used to break from time to time whenever a silent Atmosphere update was released.
  • sys-patch outputs a log where you can see which patches are applied, which one failed and some other useful data, either via Tesla overlay or by reading the logs manually.
  • Works with all of the standard CFW setups (i.e. whether you boot into Atmosphere via Hekate or fusee.bin)
  • Has less files?
In the end, both of them do their job so it really comes down to whatever works better for you.
Using both of them is fine, too, but oftentimes unnecessary.

Reactions: jelbo

viper3344

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems the NFIM patches indeed need a new IPS file.

New full set of patches:
Tried these. Says game cannot start. Then scans data and says its corrupted....
I am using the latest deepsea and sigpatches from this post.

FIXED IT!!

I was copying the sigpatches first THEN the deepsea files. The deepsea ini does not contain the below. So: when updating deepsea, replace the deepsea files first THAN the sigpatches

Ensure that hekate_ipl.ini in the bootloader folder has:
kip1patch=nosigchk
In the 2 sections below.

It prob wont when you update the deepsea files and overwrite that file. No matter, just go into the file and add that line so it reads like below

{--- Custom Firmware ---}
[CFW (SYSNAND)]
emummc_force_disable=1
fss0=atmosphere/package3
atmosphere=1
logopath=bootloader/bootlogo.bmp
icon=bootloader/res/icon_payload.bmp
kip1patch=nosigchk
{}

[CFW (EMUMMC)]
emummcforce=1
fss0=atmosphere/package3
atmosphere=1
logopath=bootloader/bootlogo.bmp
icon=bootloader/res/icon_payload.bmp
kip1patch=nosigchk
{}

****Oh an if anyone runs into this issue, its ok. let the game not start. Let it check for corrupted files which it will find. Then power down. Once you boot again with the fix above, it will rescan the files and report no more currupted files. No need to reinstall at all!

Last edited by viper3344,
Reactions: Blythe93

kurapika777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Hekate to launch atmosphere and don’t use emunand or anything. I would just tap Payloads on Hekate Home Screen and tap Fusee to boot into my Switch.

So my usual way to update Switch firmware and Atmosphere/Hekate was:
  1. Launch Reboot Payload which brings me to Hekate.
  2. Remove SD card from Switch and insert into PC.
  3. Delete Atmosphere and Bootloader folders from my SD card.
  4. Place new Atmosphere folders and replace reboot to payload bin with Hekate bin.
  5. Place new Hekate and add new fusee to payloads sub folder.
  6. Place new firmware files.
  7. Place new sigpatches from this thread.
  8. Eject and replace SD card into Switch.
  9. Tap payloads on Hekate and tap fusee to load into Atmosphere.
  10. Run daybreak and update FW.
  11. Reboot into Atmosphere.

At this point everything worked in the past. But now half my games don’t boot. Even if I use a clean SD card same issues.
I have a feeling I’m missing a step with the sigpatches.

Any insights?

Badablek

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I use Hekate to launch atmosphere and don’t use emunand or anything. I would just tap Payloads on Hekate Home Screen and tap Fusee to boot into my Switch.

So my usual way to update Switch firmware and Atmosphere/Hekate was:
  1. Launch Reboot Payload which brings me to Hekate.
  2. Remove SD card from Switch and insert into PC.
  3. Delete Atmosphere and Bootloader folders from my SD card.
  4. Place new Atmosphere folders and replace reboot to payload bin with Hekate bin.
  5. Place new Hekate and add new fusee to payloads sub folder.
  6. Place new firmware files.
  7. Place new sigpatches from this thread.
  8. Eject and replace SD card into Switch.
  9. Tap payloads on Hekate and tap fusee to load into Atmosphere.
  10. Run daybreak and update FW.
  11. Reboot into Atmosphere.

At this point everything worked in the past. But now half my games don’t boot. Even if I use a clean SD card same issues.
I have a feeling I’m missing a step with the sigpatches.

Any insights?

you're using Hekate to chainload fusee. But original fusee does not load KIP patches anymore (since revision 1.7.0). So sigpatches won't work the way it used to be until now.
you must use Hekate fss0 method to load directly package3 OR use sys-patch (will work with fusee).

ps : you can also use unofficial fusee where KIp loading was kept. But sys-patch is so much easier !
oh, and there is a cat and mouse game to avoid DMCA...so latest version of sys-patch is not on github anymore. But thanks to all of those kind souls, we can find "The precious" somewhere else :bow:

Last edited by Badablek,

kurapika777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you're using Hekate to chainload fusee. But original fusee does not load KIP patches anymore (since revision 1.7.0). So sigpatches won't work the way it used to be until now.
you must use Hekate fss0 method to load directly package3 OR use sys-patch (will work with fusee).

ps : you can also use unofficial fusee where KIp loading was kept. But sys-patch is so much easier !
oh, and there is a cat and mouse game to avoid DMCA...so latest version of sys-patch is not on github anymore. But thanks to all of those kind souls, we can find "The precious" somewhere else :bow:
thank you so much for your response. i will try sys-patch.

where can i learn how to use Hekate fss0 method to load directly package3?
is sys-patch just a matter of dropping its files in the SD root or is there any other dependency app (tesla?) that need to be present?

regarding unofficial fusee where KIP is intact - wouldnt this fusee stop working on new atmosphere releases?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
regarding unofficial fusee where KIP is intact - wouldnt this fusee stop working on new atmosphere releases?
More than likely, it would. But also more than likely, another modded version of the new fusee would also be released shortly after. Easier to just use sys-patch or Hekate fss0 method, in my opinion.

Badablek

Trophies
XP
Country
France
thank you so much for your response. i will try sys-patch.

where can i learn how to use Hekate fss0 method to load directly package3?
is sys-patch just a matter of dropping its files in the SD root or is there any other dependency app (tesla?) that need to be present?

fss0 method is as easy as chainloading fusee. But instead of having "payload=fusee.bin", you will have "fss0=atmosphere\package3"
Hekate boot entry should be like this (atmosphere on emuMMC, using sigpatches) :

Code:
[Atmosphere_emummc]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
kip1patch=nosigchk
emummcforce=1

With sys-patch, you unzip it at the root of your SD card, and you can remove the line "kip1patch=nosigchk" OR keep it if you want to use both sigpatches AND sys-patch

all methods have their drawback :
  • fss0 : you need to update sigpatches (as usually)
  • custom fusée.bin : you need to update sigpatches AND fusée (each atmosphere revision has its own fusée)
  • sys-patch : an update is not necessarily at every atmosphere revision
custom fusée is IMO less bullet-proof, as you will have to wait until someone patches the source, compiles it and uploads it...I talked about it because it can be an option, but vanilla atmosphère/fusée is better.

Like @Dust2dust already said, fss0 and/or sys-patch is easier :grog:

MightySashiman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Hi there, I've been using HATS package (that contains necessary patches) since I've had an OLED switch hard modded. I can run any game I want. Can someone enlighten me why there is a need for such a discussion? What am I missing?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there, I've been using HATS package (that contains necessary patches) since I've had an OLED switch hard modded. I can run any game I want. Can someone enlighten me why there is a need for such a discussion? What am I missing?

You are using a pre built pack, there are other people who use vanilla atmosphere, so that is why this thread exist.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Besides what @Hayato213 said above, the HATS package was probably built using knowledge from this discussion.

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
HATS also has stuff that you'll probably never need. Therefore it's good for people that just want a quick solution to their "problems". There's no guarantee that it'll fix the issue people might run into, but it's a "good" start.

Reactions: Lumpofcoal

Lumpofcoal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Some folks are also open to learning about the how and why so that they can better understand the process and be more prepared to troubleshoot and handle things on their own, and not panic blindly. That should be the way of doing things IMO. Believe it or not, I know some folks who have only used AIOs all their life that they developed the misconception that sigpatches are an inherent part of atmosphere, I believe a couple others even approached the atmosphere github in the past to ask SciresM to "update the sigpatches", lol.

Personally, I believe in minimalism as opposed to FOMO and trying to grab everything and anything. Less variables involved, less things can go wrong, makes it easier to troubleshoot as well.

Last edited by Lumpofcoal,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To add onto the discussion of promoting downloading patches from this thread as opposed to using pre-built packages like HATS, we can actually direct and link people to this thread to download the patches to fix their issues or update their setup. We cannot do that for HATS because it contains copyrighted content.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yep, something like that.