Anti-gravity racing game 'Redout 2' gets gameplay overview trailer

redout 2.JPG

Redout 2, the next entry to developer 34BigThings's anti-gravity racing franchise, received a brand-new gameplay overview trailer today:

Redout 2 is the future of racing, rocketing out the gate with 36 unique tracks – each of which can be played in reverse for a grand total of 72 tracks in all. Strafe, tilt and boost through mind-bending, jaw-dropping courses in a variety of game modes, including an expansive single-player campaign and competitive online multiplayer for up to 12 players on PC, PlayStation and Xbox One, and up to six players on Nintendo Switch. Customize your hovership with a massive selection of options, and feel the rush with a challenge tailored to your preferences with Redout 2’s advanced calibration system.

Redout 2 will include 36 unique tracks, each of which can be played in reverse for a total of 72 tracks in all, a single-player campaign and competitive online multiplayer for up to 12 players (PC, PlayStation and Xbox) and up to 6 players on Nintendo Switch.

Other features of Redout 2 include:
  • Speed & Control: With blazing-fast speeds of over 1,000 km/h and an intuitive driving system, Redout 2 is a blast to pick up and play, but truly rewarding for any who can master its super-high skill ceiling.
  • Extensive Career Mode: Fly through hundreds of events across 36 unique racetracks – all of which are reversible! From Arena Races and Time Attacks to Last Man Standing and intense Boss Races, dart past the competition and dominate the finish line.
  • Competitive Multiplayer: Take on rivals in intense online multiplayer. Dive into fresh challenges with regularly added custom content and seasons featuring bonus rewards.
  • Comprehensive Customization: Choose from 12 distinct chassis and fully customize your hovership with an incredible selection of propulsors, stabilizers, rudders, intercoolers, flaps, magnets, wings, spoilers, rocket engines, paints and more!
  • Experience a futuristic soundtrack from leading electronic artists like the legendary Giorgio Moroder and acclaimed talents such as Zardonic and Dance with the Dead, with music seamlessly and dynamically mixed based on real-time race data.
  • Create and share your best high-speed moments with Redout 2’s Photo Mode.
Redout 2 will launch later this year on PC (Steam, the Epic Games Store) PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and Nintendo Switch.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That is a nice graphics effect/filter. Bit dark perhaps (though that might be the video) but the borderline cel-shading thing it has going on works for me.

No mention of splitscreen though which is a pity -- most times fzero or wipeout got to be big was local splitscreen for parties and the like.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Makes me appreciate even more just what an amazing game F-Zero GX was for a home console almost 20 years ago.
Exactly right. AX was a nice bonus, but why on Earth hasn’t there been a new one since?

Typical Nintendo neglecting solid franchises… cough.. Wave Race… cough…

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nice :)

I bought the first game 3 months ago, and I have something bugging me a lot : the ranking board is soooo buggy that it requires 3 to 10 minutes to post your rank when you complete a track.
If you don't wait 10 minute between each tracks, your rank is NOT posted, and the game tells you "you never played that course" while obviously you did, but then you can't know your global position with other players, or compare with your friends.
This is frustrating, when I want to beat my time and get a better rank, but then I stay at the old position because the server is not acknowledging my new awesome time ! :nayps3:

Another issue, the online server where you are supposed to meet random players never have any hub/servers/people listed. you need to invite a friend to play online, or go to the official Redout discord to find players.

I posted two comment on 34BigThings website forum, and my messages have been deleted and moderated....
They don't seem to care to answer users about their game bugs :(

It was also supposed to have PSVR support, but apparently Sony was to blame for not allowing it (maybe they wanted to give the exclusivity to Wipeout Omega)

Despite all these issue, I'll be playing Redout2 and hope their ranking functionality will be fixed on that game :)
Also hoping for PSVR2 support next year
emoji-avec-le-casque-de-vr-d-isolement-sur-fond-blanc-%C3%A9motic%C3%B4ne-dans-la-r%C3%A9alit%C3%A9-virtuelle-107881398.jpg

(PS: we need a VR emoji on GBAtemp :P)

For the comparison with Wipeout, the gameplay is different.
Wipeout shoulder buttons use retro-break for quick turn, while Redout use Strafe (like a FPS game!). A little adaptation time is required when you are used to wipeout and Fzero shoulder's button, but this is really fun once you mastered it.

Another great idea other games don't have is the "boss mode" where you have teleporters on the track, and you find yourself on another track's portion. One laps is often more than 5 minutes.
The ship's customization is new to Redout2. I wonder if it'll change the control characteristics or is just a visual.

Boss mode on Mars, redout1

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: FanNintendo

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks good, but makes me want a new F-Zero more than ever…
With great looking games like these out there, you almost wonder if Nintendo feels they just have too little to add to the genre. Like of course we'll always welcome more F-Zero courses, but if the next game is just an HD take on the F-Zero GX formula with new courses, that doesn't really feel like enough for what Nintendo typically deems worthy of creating a sequel to begin with (NSMB games notwithstanding). If they feel they do little to stand out among the competition of the same genre, then it just seems like that could be what holds them back from creating more F-Zero games.

Reactions: KiiWii

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
The first one was a blast. Loving the upgrade with the second one.
Always love the Wipeout adrenaline rush in these games.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I get that people want another F-Zero but this is clearly a Wipeout rip-off rather than a F-Zero ripoff, eh?
Assuming we are not comparing the mode7 FZero games to Wip3out or something later still then is there enough of a distinction to really matter?

This is not some street fighter vs smash brothers type deal where both are ostensibly fighting games but different enough that comparisons are tricky or you could realistically compare to the wrong game.

Here both those games, and this one by the looks of things, are high speed racing games with heavy emphasis on environmental and hazard awareness. Indeed Wipeout's weapons (which by the looks of the settings and pausing for each game mode there this does not have) might be used to say it is the more different game.

Others new to this sort of game then reasonable start for a list
https://www.giantbomb.com/anti-gravity-racing/3015-990/games/
Though some picks are odd -- ignoring things there because they are nominally anti gravity then Forsaken is a very different game, though one I really like.

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've played the hell out of the first game. Seriously can't wait for this. Though I wish they'd make their own original soundtrack.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, That's when Victor invented the Rusty Trombone!