Hardware PSP2 to have no UMDs, Power of the Xbox 360 (Rumour)

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If they used a smaller optical disc, then it will be based on Blu-Ray which will bump the price up. Also remember the outside of the disk contains more data, so if the disc is spinning at a constant speed higher data transfer rates are on the outside of the disc. So if the disc is smaller, it will need to spin faster = higher power consumption.

There are several massive advantages of using flash based memory over optical. You have the much smaller footprint, lower power consumption, faster transfer rates and as the device gets older you can increase the capactity. The only downside is cost. That UMD drive takes up a lot of space, space which is limited on a handheld.

I can't see why Sony couldn't get by using flash, even it means having carts of 2GB. It doesn't mean they will though, Sony love their own proprietary technology especially when it comes to removable media. There's no doubt that Sony would have been considering going the UMD-free route, you can see that from the PSPGo and PSPPhone. Given the success of the PSP2GO the much be reconsidering that, but you would have imagine the PSP2 devkits etc would already have been in the hands of developers before the PSP2GO was released.

I imagine the PSP2GO's failure came to quite a surprise to them.

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Had a dream a couple nights or so ago that I held a PSP 2 in my hands. All I remember from the dream was that it had Sonic Adventure DX running on it and was downloaded through PSN, possibly to imply that the games would be digitally distributed. Also had a dream about the 3DS before we saw what it looked like. In it I walked into a GameStop and they had red and blue systems.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
themuddaload said:
IMO sony needs to design a new form of cartridge... the UMD is just TOO SLOW, while it has about a 1.7gb capacity, it can only transfer data at about 2mb/s, and has a random access time of around 900ms!

but they cant go to flash memory cartridges, or ninty fanboiz will call them copycats... soooo

mini holographic disk drive?
Holographic discs are barely out of the development stage, and the laser would be too powerful to put in a handheld device at the moment.

The standards were approved but no-one's made any discs yet.
unsure.gif

Jolan

Unlimited Bear Works
Trophies
Website
www.animecubed.com
XP
Country
PSP Go has 16 GBs of Flash.
Can't my PSP2 have either 32 or 64?

And lol @ 1gb Ram, 3 GHz CPU. Sony don't really need to make it that powerful, just enough to actually provide portable versions of X360/PS3 games that are not stripped down to PS2 quality.

themuddaload

Creepin' hardcore.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jolan said:
PSP Go has 16 GBs of Flash.
Can't my PSP2 have either 32 or 64?

And lol @ 1gb Ram, 3 GHz CPU. Sony don't really need to make it that powerful, just enough to actually provide portable versions of X360/PS3 games that are not stripped down to PS2 quality.

would you not starch your undies to have something with 1gb ram, 3 ghz processor in your hand though?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Put your hand on the top of a heatsink of a 3Ghz CPU, then imagine how much hotter it would be with barely a heatsink so it would fit in a handheld, then imagine how a 3Ghz handheld would burn a hole in your hand.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
I can only imagine the pain and suffering of downloading PSP2 games.

They are imaginably massive, so I think the downloads will be... oh god.
I can't even imagine it....Meh, I'll stick to the 3DS.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
Put your hand on the top of a heatsink of a 3Ghz CPU, then imagine how much hotter it would be with barely a heatsink so it would fit in a handheld, then imagine how a 3Ghz handheld would burn a hole in your hand.
This.

Sony's not stupid enough to make a 3ghz handheld.

Also, ghz is not a way to measure power. That's just what the companies tell you to get you to buy them.

Older Processors.
The "Intel Pentium 4" 2.26ghz processor scores 288.

Newer Processors.
The "Intel Core 2 Duo P7350" 2.00ghz processor scores 1,318.

So it's 100% possible for a processor with LESS ghz to be better. More ghz does not mean the processor is better in every case. Only when comparing two of the SAME processor.

Ghz is like RPM in cars. It describes how fast it's cycling. How much it does per cycle, however, varies between processor models, like it depends on what gear you're in in a car.

Let's say you have two cars, both in second gear, doing 4000 RPM. One of the cars accelerates up to 6000 RPM, in the same gear. It is now going faster than it was previously.
If the second car kept accelerating to the point that it changed gears and dropped down to 3000 RPM, it would appear to be going slower (if you only compare RPM values), but it's going faster than the first car.

The reason people think that a higher ghz rating means a processor is faster is because of this. If you raise the ghz, the processor will be going aster than it was previously. However, when comparing two different processors, you cannot compare them by just ghz.

That's how processors are. If a processor can do more per cycle, then it can cycle less, while still doing the same amount or, or more work. The advantage of a processor cycling less is that less heat is generated, and less power is used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megahertz_Myth

Modern processors which have multiple cores are newer than older ones which have a single core. The newer ones are more efficient, generally doubly or more. People have looked at newer processors, thinking that GHZ is everything, and wondered why a 2ghz processor beats a 3ghz one, see that the 2ghz one is dual-core, and assume that was the reason, when in reality it's because the dual-core was newer and more efficient.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Word is they're having trouble with overheating (and battery).

Perhaps the PSP2 will be like than Xbox 360 in more ways than one!

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No UMDs=No hope in retail...

Trust me, I know. I work in Electronics in the retail field right now. The number one reason as to why we do not carry the PSPgo, is because people want to have a physical copy.

Honestly, why do these dumb as fuck companies these days think that having no disk drive is what customers want.

Digital Distribution is only good for some things, not everything.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Yeah, cos everyone loves downloading gigabytes of data onto a portable device via wifi. Not to mention sending their credit card info over WEP.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, it was maybe funny the third or fourth time companies did it +1