Shenmue 1 and 2 getting a modern re-release

gSmTsDc.png

With Shenmue 3 hitting later this year, fans have been wondering if they'd see a remaster of the Shenmue series on modern platforms. And SEGA has delivered, revealing Shenmue 1 & 2 re-release for PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 later this year, worldwide. Japan's release will only consist of a PS4 version. Shemue originally released for the Dreamcast nearly 20 years ago, and is notoriously prone to emulation issues, so this new version will finally please many fans of the franchise.

Originally released for the Dreamcast in 2000 and 2001, Shenmue I & II is an open world action adventure combining jujitsu combat, investigative sleuthing, RPG elements, and memorable mini-games. It pioneered many aspects of modern gaming, including open world city exploration, and was the game that coined the Quick Time Event (QTE). It was one of the first games with a persistent open world, where day cycles to night, weather changes, shops open and close and NPCs go about their business all on their own schedules. Its engrossing epic story and living world created a generation of passionate fans, and the game consistently makes the list of “greatest games of all time”.
Story

A tale of revenge.

In 1986, teenage jujitsu artist Ryo Hazuki returns to the dojo of his father, Iwao Hazuki, only to witness his murder by a Chinese man, Lan Di. Lan Di steals a mysterious artifact known as the Dragon Mirror. Ryo vows to avenge his father’s death and sets out tracing Lan Di’s path.

The first game in the series, Shenmue begins the tale as Ryo travels around Yokosuka, Japan, gathering clues about his father’s murder and dealing with nefarious gangsters along the way.

The sequel Shenmue II continues Ryo’s quest, this time crossing the sea to Hong Kong, China. Ryo ventures deeper into the criminal underworld, meeting martial arts masters who aid him on his journey and offer insight into his father’s death, and unravels the mysteries of the Dragon Mirror that his father kept hidden.
Gameplay

• Take the role of Ryo Hazuki.

• Explore a 3D open world searching for clues, examining objects, and talking to NPCs.
  • Battle enemies and bosses making full use of the moves of Hazuki-style jujitsu.
  • Beat quick-time events (QTEs) and mini-games.

:arrow: Source

:arrow: Steam Page

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Ah dang, I was hoping all this time for a Switch port of 1 and 2. Would've felt so nice to have Shenmue portable like that. Oh well, I guess I'll have to go for the PC version eventually

Reactions: Ritsuki

Fluffball

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Steam's preview doesn't look that much improved, just a port.

The character models looked slightly better but that may just be the fact it's running in HD.

Most of the textures look like there ripped straight out of the dreamcast and look super blurry and just bad in HD,hopefully they get round to replacing these for time of release.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys know Nintendo doesn't handle segas ports right? If the games are 60 a piece on switch thats the company that made it's fault for choosing that price to sell it at. Nintendo (along with platinum) has released 2 for one games on switch, like bayo 1 and 2. Don't spread misinformation.

Reactions: Ritsuki

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How come this forum is all pick and choosy when it comes to "re-releases." I clearly remember announcements of other re-releases on Switch and there being complaints about not wanting the same games you already own. Bunch of fucking hypocrites.

Because playing Shenmue is legit not accessible considering the games were on Dreamcast and OG Xbox which were released nearly 20 years ago. It's a far different situation to complaining about Doom on Switch. Doom is on fucking everything.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, now that only god knows why SEGA decided to release this on Xbox One also, I hope Yu Suzuki reconsiders and releases the 3rd one on Xbox sooner or later.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Ahhhh ok