seriffic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,
I learned very recently that later Wii revisions still have the 480p video output bug, and that the 480p fix in launchers like USB Loader does not correct it.

FtY8Rj6WwAExLj2
FtY8UozWwAEGPeE

This is fairly unfortunate as I own an RVL-CPU-40 Wii, and I can notice the slight blurring of pixels, especially when blown up by my OSSC.

I was wondering if it is still possible to fix this via software? What does the 480p pixel fix do that affects the video output chain, and could it be replicated on newer Wiis?

Thanks!

Reactions: drag4you

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They don't work with later revisions because later versions already have it built in. No one has worked on such a "fix" because it was discovered that Nintendo had made a software fix to later revs of the Wii that they COULD have made work on earlier version but chose not to. Whatever the issue is above, it is not the same exact issue because it was knowledge of how the later revs of Wii worked that allowed people to hack a fix to the earlier ones. Thus the fix couldn't possibly fix later revs as they already have it. Since no one is aware of such an issue, no one is working on a solution. I wouldn't expect that to change given that this was all covered in detail 4 years ago and no one whined then about later revs of Wii having worse quality and, even if that had been noted, it is unlikely that the same kind of fix could be found for it given the nature of the original fix.

Extrems

GameCube Wizard
Trophies
Website
www.extremscorner.org
XP
Country
Canada
They don't work with later revisions because later versions already have it built in.
It turns out they didn't after all.
No one has worked on such a "fix" because it was discovered that Nintendo had made a software fix to later revs of the Wii that they COULD have made work on earlier version but chose not to.
There never was a software fix by Nintendo.
Whatever the issue is above, it is not the same exact issue because it was knowledge of how the later revs of Wii worked that allowed people to hack a fix to the earlier ones.
It was not. I simply fuzzed a particular register.
Thus the fix couldn't possibly fix later revs as they already have it.
It doesn't fix them because the register definitions changed.
Since no one is aware of such an issue, no one is working on a solution.
It is being looked into, but things are looking dire.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It turns out they didn't after all.

There never was a software fix by Nintendo.

It was not. I simply fuzzed a particular register.

It doesn't fix them because the register definitions changed.

It is being looked into, but things are looking dire.
Straight from the mouth of the legend himself. I thought that the progressive scan on my Wii was a bit fuzzy, but I always chalked it up to my shortsightedness. What classic cackhandedness - rather than fixing the issue, Ninty's developers just... fixed the ability to fix the issue?

As an aside, this is my surprised face that a guy with that signature (people voting in elections is bad for muh Democracy!) would be oh so woefully ill-informed. :mellow:
The definition of Democracy being used there is Doublespeak for Communism anyway :P

CrazySquid

Trophies
XP
Country
Straight from the mouth of the legend himself. I thought that the progressive scan on my Wii was a bit fuzzy, but I always chalked it up to my shortsightedness. What classic cackhandedness - rather than fixing the issue, Ninty's developers just... fixed the ability to fix the issue?

As an aside, this is my surprised face that a guy with that signature (people voting in elections is bad for muh Democracy!) would be oh so woefully ill-informed. :mellow:
The definition of Democracy being used there is Doublespeak for Communism anyway :P
As far as I understand it, they changed a bit the AVE chip, but it didn't fix the 480p bug. Not only that but since the registers are differents, it has to be researched all over again to fix it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Towelie runs my farm, he's awesome.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Polly is still around from what I've heard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @SylverReZ, is Pollys alt I knew it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I see him every once whi!e , incognito
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, I'm not him. Keep looking.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still don't know why he left unless someone really hurt his feelings
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why people get so emotional online just get over it ffs
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He was the ass of gbatemp, everyone knocked on him, I honestly felt bad, even though I was guilty myself, but he egged it all on himself,
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But he still here, but under dif name, he pm me sometimes still even.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's like they think we'll be in their bed pissing on it the next day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like gbatemp should make t-shirts or memorabilia to remember the lost ones. I bet the Polly shirts would sell out quick.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah that could actually bring lawsuits
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tempsuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    PollySuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your correct, Somebody would be guilty and there would be riots, then they storm the gbatemp capitol,
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Online or not there are still certain rights that judges would have no issue handing out a warrant over
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just look at Kim dotcom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Honestly I'm scared to, from you, but ok, lemme turn on vpn, virtual machine, private browser first
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Remember that Alexa robot I gifted you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And that laptop Webcam you never tapped up
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That robot is here somewhere, I hear it moving around at night, but I haven't seen it for months.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh that laptop I give to ancientboi, so you been watching him for months, and he's been watching you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good more than enough material for the fbi
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn its 5 in morn, I gotta Go wake your mum and send her to work. Check ya later.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol