Hacking GBA FFVI Advance - Seeking Codebreaker Help From Experienced Hackers

shamoneb6

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to use codebreaker codes to disable all AP gains. I think many people in the FFVI community would find this helpful, as one of the most popular game challenges is an NMG (Natural Magic Game), which prohibits the use of spells not naturally learned. As it stands, people have to add so many extra restrictions in an NMG just to avoid learning spells (such as disallowing spell-teaching equipment), thus, the need for a code. I've been able to complete about 50% of the work, but now I'm stuck...here's what I have so far:

I think there are two main types of encounters that the game treats differently:
  • Normal encounters (rewarding both AP and EXP)
  • Zero EXP encounters (rewarding only AP)
The good news is that I was able to disable AP for normal encounters with this code: 320000FB 0000.
However, I can't figure out how to disable the AP from those 0xp encounters, which account for a fair amount of enemies and bosses throughout the game.

I used mGBA to narrow down the memory addresses related to AP gained from encounters.
  • 020000FB (Codebreaker code: 320000FB 0000. Works for regular encounters but not 0xp encounters.)
  • 02002F35 (Codebreaker code: 32002F35 0000. Changes the display text value of AP in the reward screen to 0, but doesn't seem to impact the actual amount of AP gained.)

I'm testing on the US version of FFVI Advance.
Emulators used: mGBA (PC), gpSP (Miyoo Mini)

I'm not very experienced with codebreaker, so any help you can offer is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by shamoneb6,

shamoneb6

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I've figured it out. I want to test it a little more before posting just to make sure it's safe. I'd hate to irresponsibly break someone's game. Will update soon.
Post automatically merged:

I think I've figured it out. I want to test it a little more before posting just to make sure it's safe. I'd hate to irresponsibly break someone's game. Will update soon.
Here's the code.
Disable AP:
82003ED4 0001

In case anyone needs to know how it works: the memory address matches the ID of the current formation you're fighting. The game checks it and awards AP based on said ID. Using codebreaker, we can overwrite it with whatever monster formation ID we want. In this case, I've chosen [0001], 2 silver Lobos, which award 0 AP. Now, all enemies award 0 AP, which is what we want. If we overwrite it with a different ID, say the ID of Cactuars [00DD], every enemy will now award 10 AP, the same as Cactuars.

All Enemies Give 10 AP:
82003ED4 00DD

You can find the monster formation IDs on Samurai Goroh's website. GBAtemp won't let me link it, so just google "Samurai Goroh FFVI codes."

Last edited by shamoneb6,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still don't know why he left unless someone really hurt his feelings
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why people get so emotional online just get over it ffs
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He was the ass of gbatemp, everyone knocked on him, I honestly felt bad, even though I was guilty myself, but he egged it all on himself,
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But he still here, but under dif name, he pm me sometimes still even.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's like they think we'll be in their bed pissing on it the next day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like gbatemp should make t-shirts or memorabilia to remember the lost ones. I bet the Polly shirts would sell out quick.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah that could actually bring lawsuits
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tempsuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    PollySuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your correct, Somebody would be guilty and there would be riots, then they storm the gbatemp capitol,
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Online or not there are still certain rights that judges would have no issue handing out a warrant over
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just look at Kim dotcom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Honestly I'm scared to, from you, but ok, lemme turn on vpn, virtual machine, private browser first
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Remember that Alexa robot I gifted you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And that laptop Webcam you never tapped up
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That robot is here somewhere, I hear it moving around at night, but I haven't seen it for months.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh that laptop I give to ancientboi, so you been watching him for months, and he's been watching you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good more than enough material for the fbi
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn its 5 in morn, I gotta Go wake your mum and send her to work. Check ya later.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    He could make so much money!!! His arm would never get tired lol
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    How are yall doing
    +1
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are yall doing +1