I like to hack everything i own so my old mac is next on my bucket list
I searched for two hours without a result i decided to ask some forums

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's not referred to as custom firmware on that kind of computer, the actual firmware is low-level enough that it rarely needs much in the way of tweaking, but the whole operating system that runs on top of it, OS X, can be endlessly tweaked and customised however you want. Check which version you're running (Google says OS X Leopard is the latest), and search for tweaks and customisation for that. It's an old version but all the info and software will still be out there.

MrCat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
It's not referred to as custom firmware on that kind of computer, the actual firmware is low-level enough that it rarely needs much in the way of tweaking, but the whole operating system that runs on top of it, OS X, can be endlessly tweaked and customised however you want. Check which version you're running (Google says OS X Leopard is the latest), and search for tweaks and customisation for that. It's an old version but all the info and software will still be out there.
i've also heard of Sorbet leopard which is a faster and feature rich leopard is this mac custom "firmware"

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
i've also heard of Sorbet leopard which is a faster and feature rich leopard is this mac custom "firmware"

I suggest you learn the difference between the firmware and Operating System to avoid future confusion.

On G5 Macs their actual firmware is known as ‘Open Firmware’, AFAIK you should not need to modify this as it‘s really used to just boot the OS and there aren’t any restrictions like there are on modern Macs. It’s effectively to Macs what BIOS is to PCs.

There is a command prompt, which is user accessible, but the only times I’ve seen people use it was when installing Linux (see below).

Sorbet Leopard is a customised version of Mac OS, I’ve never used it but I know of a couple of videos on it:

There is also relatively modern Linux distro I’ve heard of, but I don’t know it’s current state:

The two Youtube channels I link to might be of interest to you as they regularly ‘mess around’ with old hardware, including old Apple stuff.

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
MorphOS.
Not officially (yet) supported, but it works (when and if).
This case would be called hacking. At least it's more interesting than installing new, more non-boring wallpapers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Polly is still around from what I've heard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @SylverReZ, is Pollys alt I knew it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I see him every once whi!e , incognito
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, I'm not him. Keep looking.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still don't know why he left unless someone really hurt his feelings
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why people get so emotional online just get over it ffs
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He was the ass of gbatemp, everyone knocked on him, I honestly felt bad, even though I was guilty myself, but he egged it all on himself,
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But he still here, but under dif name, he pm me sometimes still even.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's like they think we'll be in their bed pissing on it the next day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like gbatemp should make t-shirts or memorabilia to remember the lost ones. I bet the Polly shirts would sell out quick.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah that could actually bring lawsuits
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tempsuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    PollySuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your correct, Somebody would be guilty and there would be riots, then they storm the gbatemp capitol,
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Online or not there are still certain rights that judges would have no issue handing out a warrant over
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just look at Kim dotcom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Honestly I'm scared to, from you, but ok, lemme turn on vpn, virtual machine, private browser first
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Remember that Alexa robot I gifted you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And that laptop Webcam you never tapped up
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That robot is here somewhere, I hear it moving around at night, but I haven't seen it for months.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh that laptop I give to ancientboi, so you been watching him for months, and he's been watching you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good more than enough material for the fbi
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn its 5 in morn, I gotta Go wake your mum and send her to work. Check ya later.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2KV8MHRJlQ