Homebrew [Question] Gecko Code Question - Is this possible?

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
OP
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I'm trying to figure out there is some way to apply Gecko Codes to WiiWare/Virtual Console games that are launched from the SD Card menu. Since Gecko no longer "sees" games as channels once they're moved to the SD Card, I definitely can't do it directly through Gecko's own app. I've also tried using the Rebooter option but that seems to only read codes for the inserted game disc.

I haven't looked into if any backup loaders can launch WiiWare/VC from the SD card, but if so, please do let me know and which ones are capable of this :) I appreciate any help in making this setup work since I'm trying to not require using NAND or EmuNAND to accomplish this.

Reactions: banjo2

Aserl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I'm late but you can use Gecko codes with wiiware/VC if they're installed on nand. As far I'm aware you can't do that in the SD card menu. Sorry that you cant do that but hoped i helped 🤷

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello. I'm trying to figure out there is some way to apply Gecko Codes to WiiWare/Virtual Console games that are launched from the SD Card menu. Since Gecko no longer "sees" games as channels once they're moved to the SD Card, I definitely can't do it directly through Gecko's own app. I've also tried using the Rebooter option but that seems to only read codes for the inserted game disc.

I haven't looked into if any backup loaders can launch WiiWare/VC from the SD card, but if so, please do let me know and which ones are capable of this :) I appreciate any help in making this setup work since I'm trying to not require using NAND or EmuNAND to accomplish this.
You can use an emuNAND. Generally it's a better solution than the SD card menu, which actually moves the game to NAND before launching it, making load times long, and adding wear and tear to the NAND chip.
Your two options for emuNAND are cIOS (which is simple to set up, just enable it in your USB loader, and the USB loader should also have an option to install WADs directly to emuNAND, at least USB Loader GX does). Compatibility is good, but not perfect with this method.
Or neek2o which has 100% compatibility, but does require some setup.

Reactions: Aserl

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Why not HeyArnold
  • B @ BigArnold:
    Can you guys help with my problem concerning my Switch?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you switch it up
  • B @ BigArnold:
    Switch what up?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Switch the switch to resolve your issue
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigArnold, sorry but i cant, i dont have a switch. also what k3nv2 says is a joke
  • B @ BigArnold:
    That's what I figured. I put a post up in a forum but no one seems to replying to posts there. I also don't what this chat is attached to.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    General chat as it implies
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigArnold, try posting in the "switch noob paradise" thread
  • B @ BigArnold:
    That's where I put it. But like I said other people's posts from a day or two ago have no responses. I'm not sure if the chat is part of the Nintendo forum that I'm on or a part of the website as a whole.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigArnold, part of the website as a whole
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    then try making a thread
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wait you are too new to be able to do that
  • B @ BigArnold:
    That's fine. I'll find my way.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @BigArnold you put the fusee or hekate.bin in the hekate/ payloads folder, or use app to push the payload to switch while its in rcm mode
    +1
  • B @ BigArnold:
    The problem is is that TegraGUI isn't detecting my Switch despite it being plugged in and in RCM or maintenance mode.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you click install driver inside the tegra app.
  • B @ BigArnold:
    I did all of that stuff and it seemed successful but still nothing. The only thing different from the guide I used was that my device wasn't showing up as APX but rather Nintendo Switch.
  • B @ BigArnold:
    I did it inside the Tegra app and Zadig.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Try a different USB c cable, or different USB port on your pc.
  • B @ BigArnold:
    I tried a different port and don't have another cable. I'm fairly certain there's no issue with the equipment I'm using.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Some cheap USB c cables don't send data, they only charge
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Some cheap USB c cables don't send data, they only charge